English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 February 2006, 22:14   #1
Coma

Samba problems

I just installed a 3com PCMCIA card in the A1200, and it works! I installed the 3c589 driver and MiamiDX, and can now send files back and forth from the PC's with FTP. So far so good. But it would be even nicer to mount the Amiga as a network drive. I got the Samba package off Aminet and installed it, and behold: it worked too! I could map the Amiga from the PC and browse its contents. Copying files from the Amiga worked fine. Copying files to the Amiga: all halt, dead stop. Windows complained "Device not functioning". The Samba log on the Amiga contained this:

[2006/02/01 22:57:35, 0] smbd/fileio.c55)
seek_file: sys_lseek failed. Error was Input/output error

And a new similar entry for each new try. Now what is wrong? I actually hadn't expected Samba to work at all, having heard it was almost impossible and a frustrating quagmire filled with death, but I seem to have come so far, being able to copy stuff from the Amiga and all.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Coma; 02 February 2006 at 22:16. Reason: Automatic smilies must be destroyed. Pah, I find no way to get rid of it.

Old 02 February 2006, 22:54   #2
rare_j
Zone Friend

It's likely to be a permissions issue.
I got it working, eventually, when I used the same username and password on the PC, AmiTCP login AND samba users file.
Permissions was the biggest headache and I never fully understood it.
Samba was fun to set up and see working on the old thing but it's roughly half as efficient as FTP according to the forums, which takes the shine off it a bit if all you're doing is pushing the odd file about.
Old 03 February 2006, 06:52   #3
Coma

Well, I have the entry "all" (/) in smb.conf marked as public and writable, so I thought that would eliminate any need for further tinkering with permissions. I'll play around with it a bit more, but I'll probably settle for FTP which feels faster and less bloated...

Old 03 February 2006, 12:32   #4
rare_j
Zone Friend

One thing that's fun to try with Samba once it is working is to "remote desktop" your amiga from the PC using winuae. You set up a samba share for the whole of DH0 then on the PC side you map that share as a network drive.
Then you start winuae and tell it to use that network drive as its amiga drive, as if it were an actual amiga formatted device in the PC.
It boots up after a while depending how quick your amiga HDD is, it has to lock every file that's used durign boot up, it helps to set your lock directory to ram: if you have loads. Once it's booted though it's very useable.
Well It's not true remote desktopping as such, but any changes to files you make in are of course reflected straight back on the amiga side.
You could of course boot winuae from a directory on the PC side and include the DH0 share in as a second drive which I imagine would improve things somewhat. Anyway a fun little experiment.
Old 16 February 2006, 13:03   #5
dir_marillion
Randy Rhoads

Hello,
You can try to change amiga samba settings via the page: (your ip address):901 for instance: 192.168.1.3:901. From the default settings the samba mounts nothing, you have to turn it to ALL, that includes all of your partitions, even the Ram Disk :-)
From my experience, I suggest you to use amiga samba 2.07 (the older version, not the 2.2.5), it requires less memory and does the job perfect... and do not use the samba installer, simple open the files from the archive and put them into the miami or genesis folder (search if already have a samba installed and replace the files with 2.07 version). And always take a look at www.amigasamba.org and the guides, there a lot of things that you can setup with samba, not only mount :-)