English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 14 October 2005, 17:03   #21
BippyM
Global Moderator

I think we need a decent coder who is willing to commit!

No coder == no game!
Old 14 October 2005, 17:48   #22
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

as i said i have 5 hours a week i can commit to this project (it is just 5 hrs unfortuntately) which i can start next month in the following areas you need

Art / Gfx
Music / Sound
Coding (C / C++)
Scripting / Storywritting

but all i have is five hours..

use them well

wee need more than ONE coder you need three...

one for primary graphics engine

one for secondary engines (split screens phase wipes and GUI methods) and finaly

one for sound and file definition incorperations. (loaders and sequencers etc)

this should be matched also for gfx artists etc

a couple o three primary musicians for themes, background atmosphere, and loaders.

infact the more the merrier...
Old 14 October 2005, 18:06   #23
treblesix

Hi,
I'm here if u need music (off AmigaWorld.net

Old 14 October 2005, 18:07   #24
Marcuz

i have spoken with some coders, they are interested, but i will know more in the next days
treblesix, thanks for signin in
Old 14 October 2005, 20:32   #25
treblesix

Take alook at my website in the audio section for some examples of what I have done, if needed.

Old 14 October 2005, 23:15   #26
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you know i am begining to get a warm feeling about this project.... (and before you ask its not sexual) ..

so whom are the *other coders* you are mentioning marco?
Old 15 October 2005, 12:12   #27
Graham Humphrey

Just like to say that, although I'm currently programming this shoot-em-up, I'll be happy to work on other projects in the future (assuming there are any of course!).
Old 16 October 2005, 15:16   #28
Elwood

Mario, I know you said RPG but what about the following:
http://wmoghrab.club.fr/vodoowars/vodoowars_en.html
This is an old project that stopped a long time ago because of lack of motivation.

This is easier than a RPG and easier to start with.

Music are complete. A few GFX only and no code at all.
Tell me what you think.

Old 16 October 2005, 22:51   #29
utri007
mä vaan

Would be good to adopt old delayed / cancelled project

Starting for 0 takes time etc
Old 16 October 2005, 23:17   #30
BippyM
Global Moderator

That project looks fantastic, don't take this the wrong way but . . . .It does look a little too ambitious for a first project

I think for the very, very first project a simpler game is attempted (maybe a shoot 'em up or whatever) and then once that is finished and tested and to everyones approval a more complex game is started/resumed!

We need to see what talents are involved, after-all we don't want another half-started/planned project!
Old 16 October 2005, 23:52   #31
Marcuz

i agree that we are probably to focus on a small project to start, mostly because we are not full time involved in it. however, short or long, i prefer to start a new game from zero, because also the preliminar parts and designing work, all the decisions on the game dinamycs ARE part of the process to build it, not some obstacle to the coding and drawing and music playin. i want to build something i for first would like to play, or at least give help to the ideas if strong of some else designer.
anyway, at the end of the week we'll see if we have what it needs for the start.
Old 16 October 2005, 23:53   #32
woody57

Finding at first a DEMO subject involving a single or part level is proberly the easiest target to set.

Because as yet it is unclear exactly for which machine specs it is going to be targeted at or whether this is going to be a WINUAE based project?
Like BippyM I would hate to see this early enthusiasm stagnate because the the volanteer,s as yet have not had chance to brainstorm an agreed target

So why not arrange a time in IRC to throw around a few ideas to push things to some form of collective decision ?
Old 17 October 2005, 05:45   #33
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I would like to help, but all I know how to do is write. I too am an amateur novelist. I am a busy boy, but I'm sure I can give you some of my time if you like.
Old 17 October 2005, 08:58   #34
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I agree that the first project should be something fairly simple. Walk before running etc.
Old 17 October 2005, 12:10   #35
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat
I would like to help, but all I know how to do is write. I too am an amateur novelist. I am a busy boy, but I'm sure I can give you some of my time if you like.
thank you, welcome on board
Old 17 October 2005, 13:41   #36
foody

Is it possible I can be added as part of the Programmers? I want to join in, in your project but as a coder. I don't know anything else but coding :S
Old 17 October 2005, 14:31   #37
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

and then there was two... (coders i mean)

Awsome!! a lotta people are interested in this.

Okay Woody57, BippyM Marco, all have a very valid point nothing to BIG in any department since this is a volenteer project.

as mentiond by Wood57, an IRC meeting would be seriously adventagious to the project group and group(s).

and as a note, strangly enough its harder to code super smooth paralx type scrolling in C (havent done it in asm...yet) than it is to do a dungeon master/walker with scaling lol

and hence shoot-'em ups are more difficult from the ground up to code (in C/C++) in blitz well,... i dont like talking about blitz.... i get a dirty feeling.... unclean....

okay after i have taken a shower....

one of the quintisential questions as a group we must face is what platform are we gonna aim for 1200/600/500, memory type etc ?( you know i think woody mentioned that too !!! damn he's good)

and story writers... oh we need them (two is good more is better )

the writers essentially create the game

whereby the artists make the scene

and the muscians develop the atmosphere

all the coders do is provide an interface for people to intereact with it.

Hope to meet you all on IRC soon.
Old 17 October 2005, 17:33   #38
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

RPG doesn't have to be Dungeon Master style, Ultima / Albion 2d / Speris Legacy style (bwahaha, I'm NOT naming that dork in the green outfit here!) is also very doable and it's easier to wrap into a story. But it will probably require a lot more gfx work.

Now that I think about it, a Fallout style game would be REALLY cool... Fallout has all that makes a game great:

- great story
- adult humor
- uber violence
- turn based combat
- D&D style attributes

Personally I wouldn't need anything more. And a game like this is still very easy to scale, you can make it as simple or as complex as you want.

Just a thought of course.
Old 17 October 2005, 18:06   #39
foody

@Zetr0

It have to be for the Amiga 1200/4000 any less than that would be meaningless, we need the most amount of chip RAM, colors and resolution to provide high quality end game and since we are using the classic Amiga, Amiga 1200/4000 seems to be the logical choice. If there was a higher classic than the Amiga 1200/4000 we would aim at that and no less. I am sorry, but it is really seriously silly to degrade the quality of the game for people who own low spec Amigas because they are not willing to go ahead and upgrade their system with a higher end spec. The game is going to require hard drive I hope, having to use floppy disk is stupid, therefore if a person who owns an Amiga 500 for example to invest all their money to get a hard drive for the A500 (since it is very hard to get and expensive) and to upgrade their RAM on their A500 and even kickstart would be as much as getting an A1200 and that would be silly. Now you said we meet? But there have been no specific channel where we meet, we must have that done and as a coder as me personally I like organization, I am not acting mighty or nothing, but I get confused and lost if I don't get certain tasks to be done. For example the coding part anyways must be done in terms of order and followed thoroughly.

Let me explain it better, you as a coder would have to code certain part of the engine for example you code the main part (skeletal) part, I code the part of declaration the functions, as such as

void Weapon();
void Armor();
void Monster();

but your main program should allow my code to merge correctly without overwriting each other. You know what I mean, so that means for example I receive in .doc for example in English words the tasks that it needs to be done, I do them, I email them to person who is responsible for linking them together without overwriting the other person's work and I receive the next task and so on. So we need a channel, or we need a private group JUST for coders, where we can set and talk about scheduling and tasks. Now the same applies for the writers, and musicians and so on, so we need a specific server that holds all the groups together. We need a producer or a big team leader who for example have an image of how the game looks like and who go ahead and tells the writer what is expected, what engine to be expected this is where we coders come in hand, the music and the graphics.

Anyways, in my opinion the game MUST BE AGA only, sorry for ECS and OCS users but it is time to move the AGA. As for the style of game I would suggest something like Ultima 7, http://exult.sourceforge.net would be nice.

Finally as conclusion to increase the speed of productivity, we as as a project MUST CREATE a tool that allows us to make the game, in my opinion creating a full profession construction kit would make things much smoother in the long run, if for some reason a sequel for the game to come, we use the construction kit without the need to code the game with simple click and play and GUI click and play scripting. In the end we would be creating two very essential programs in one stone.

Anybody have any opinion on this matter?
Old 17 October 2005, 20:03   #40
Marcuz

first of all, thanks foody to come on board, i really appreciate it; also there are lots of valid points in the last posts;
i propose as follow:
we can start to discuss the genre from now, all the week; RCK has agreed on leave us a private forum, so we have a little more space; but already i can order the differents typologies you (we) propose and Saturday on IRC we can talk them em out.
than we poll the genre and we plan the work;
moreover i agree with foody on the target machine and on the development tool, but i leave this discussion later this week, it is still to be seen how many people there is in the team.
the methodology of the work then, should be close to that you say.

Last edited by Marcuz; 17 October 2005 at 20:14.