English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 15 June 2023, 21:39   #1
Sasuke

Converted Coin op Arcade games for the Amiga

Is there a list of Coin op Arcade games, converted for Amiga?
If it doesn't exist, it would be nice to create one
Old 15 June 2023, 22:00   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

https://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_conversion=1

Xevious is missing from the list. https://hol.abime.net/6875 and also Galaxian (not even on HOL yet)
Old 15 June 2023, 22:25   #3
Sasuke

Jotd, I would like to know only Coin op games converted for Amiga.
On the Hall of light site there are many other games.........

P.S. Maybe I should have posted in the games section of the forum.
Old 15 June 2023, 22:46   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

The HOL link I posted is generated from "advanced search" filter. It lists all games that have a coin-op version. That should be what you're looking for

Most of the time it means that the game is a conversion from the coin-op. It also happens a lot more rarely that the game started on microcomputers and ended up on arcade (Lemmings is the only one I can think of)
Old 15 June 2023, 23:21   #5
Photon

I concur with jotd. If you ask, you should know your arcade titles... I see a bunch of familiar names here (I would object to Aaargh, that's pretty much the only one at a glance).

The Amiga got a TON of titles converted for it!!

Was peeved off by a recent YT vid going through all the arcade years and seemingly deliberately naming every single computer conversion EXCEPT Amiga. (That guy must hate Amiga with a vengeance for that to happen with 100+ opportunities for it.)

And I don't know it all. I'm surprised by some titles here. I should try Hydra.
Old 15 June 2023, 23:50   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

The main problem with arcade conversions is: a lot are quick cash-ins by Domark or US Gold / Tiertex. Avoid those like the plague.
Old 15 June 2023, 23:59   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Most of the time it means that the game is a conversion from the coin-op. It also happens a lot more rarely that the game started on microcomputers and ended up on arcade (Lemmings is the only one I can think of)
Lemmings as an arcade game! The internet tells me it was only a prototype though.
Old 16 June 2023, 00:35   #8
Photon

Quote:
The main problem with arcade conversions is: a lot are quick cash-ins by Domark or US Gold / Tiertex. Avoid those like the plague.
Well... so these now don't somehow count as arcade conversions? Surely, that must be the wrong opinion - or at least, then so is every other conversion, for Amiga and other computers.

I'm curious as to the motivation for (the/let's pretend it's only my perceived) hate on the part of us Amigans towards licensed arcade ports. Because what? They're different from the arcade? They all are, on all systems. Every single arcade conversion is different from the arcade game. They run half framerate/have half the colors? Amigas didn't cost $2000 per machine specially made to run 1 game, and cost 50c (not a quarter) per play... there's your clue.

And the majority of those can be accused of the very "cash-in" you mention. Not least from movies released that year or the year previous... some did it without bothering with the license. And some original arcade games are quite dull, too.

I've just always thought I can do better than what we got (because I can, not true for all coders), but also always thought any hate is misdirected, and far from all arcade games are great, and we got a lot of novel game ideas instead of the dull shooter/racing/fighting crap arcade turned into in 1987. Which we don't appreciate and don't play. Why? PepeHands and Don'tEven.

Remember: love and truth. <3

Last edited by Photon; 16 June 2023 at 00:41.
Old 16 June 2023, 01:07   #9
Pyromania

a very impressive list.
Old 16 June 2023, 08:44   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Xevious is missing from the list. https://hol.abime.net/6875 and also Galaxian (not even on HOL yet)
I've added Xevious. Is Galaxian finished yet?
Old 16 June 2023, 11:20   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I've added Xevious. Is Galaxian finished yet?
yes, definitely

Photon, I agree Arcade ports don't have to be perfect. The fact is, when game isn't amiga original, the tech difficulties add on. On arcade ports, the material given to the team to work with consists mainly in one arcade machine in free play (modern arcade ports use original graphics & sounds ripped from MAME)... We know all that. That plus more powerful hardware since 1984, etc...

But Tiertex & Domark did an overall shitty job where Ocean or Sales Curve made conversions work, Elite did a good job on GhostsNGoblins but botched BombJack (which was easier to convert...). Tiertex have their excuses, but apart from MERCS maybe you don't want to play their conversions, they're mostly horrible.

Now creating a list of "good arcade conversions" would be subjective.
Old 16 June 2023, 11:44   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
yes, definitely
I missed that you finished it. Here is the HOL entry: https://hol.abime.net/6975
Old 16 June 2023, 15:25   #13
Sani11

Indeed, the quality of arcade conversions can be a mixed bag. While Tiertex and Domark have faltered in their attempts, Ocean and Sales Curve have shown it's possible to do it right. Elite's work on GhostsNGoblins was commendable, yet their effort on BombJack left much to be desired. It's true, a "good arcade conversion" list would be subjective, but it's essential to recognize the hard work and challenges involved in these projects. Ultimately, it boils down to the dedication and craftsmanship of the conversion team.
Old 16 June 2023, 15:55   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sani11 View Post
While Tiertex and Domark have faltered in their attempts, Ocean and Sales Curve have shown it's possible to do it right.
You're mixing up developers and publishers there, several different developers are responsible for the more shitty output under the brand of Domark. U.S. Gold would be the more honest comparison instead of Tiertex, in this case.
Old 16 June 2023, 15:56   #15
Bren McGuire

why is it listed as "reverse engineered modification"? that sounds like a misnomer, jotd made a port
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I missed that you finished it. Here is the HOL entry: https://hol.abime.net/6975
Old 16 June 2023, 16:09   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
why is it listed as "reverse engineered modification"? that sounds like a misnomer, jotd made a port
Because of this part of the credits: - Scott Tunstall: Galaxian Z80 reverse engineering
It's based on the original code of the arcade.