English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 March 2013, 18:30   #21
spanner
none

Just ordered this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1604440728...84.m1497.l2649 so I can connect it to my serial port on the amiga.

I hope this will work if not then I will go back to using the emulator to transferring the files.

info..

How to Connect a PC to Amiga With USB to DB25

A low-cost method of transferring files from a Commodore Amiga to a PC is by using the Amiga's serial port, which shares the RS232 connection standard also used by PC serial ports. To connect the two computers together, you need a null modem cable. This is a special cable wired so that the transmit lines from one serial port are linked to the receive lines on the other serial port. If your PC does not have a serial port, you can use a USB-to-serial converter to connect the serial cable to a USB port.

Instructions

Things you need,Null modem cable,USB-to-serial converter,DB25-to-DB9 adaptor.
Turn off the Amiga and plug the DB25 connector on the null modem cable into the Amiga's serial port. The null modem cable may have DB9 and DB25 connectors, which refer to the number of pins used by the connector, either nine or 25.

Plug the other end of the null modem cable into your PC. If your computer only has a 9-pin socket, you can use a DB25-to-DB9 converter between the socket and the null modem cable. If you do not have a serial port, plug the USB-to-serial converter into the USB port, and the null modem cable into the socket on the converter.

Turn on the Amiga and boot into the Workbench OS. Start up an Amiga serial terminal program designed to exchange dataover the serial port.

On your PC start up a serial terminal program. Configure the serial ports so that the serial settings at the Amiga end are identical to those at the PC end. Example settings that could be used are 19200 baud rate, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity.

Transfer the files from the Amiga to PC (or vice versa) using binary transfers. See the help files for your terminal program for more details on how to use this mode.

Last edited by spanner; 06 March 2013 at 20:32.
Old 06 March 2013, 20:49   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I just relised that this will only connect into the parallel port not the serial port on the amiga so the connection at the end is wrong..?? you seid to pick the last one at the end in the drop down box.. "USB M To F Rs232 Cable" so i need a male connector..??..
But the Amiga's serial port is male, so you do need a female connector on the end of your cable, just as I said.

Quote:
I installed the driver from the disk so should I uninstall it then..?
I guess so.

Quote:
Oh and you need the driver installed for the com port to work Amiga Explorer don't come with a driver.
You will need to create a boot disk for your Amiga, which will be based on a Workbench disk. This will have a driver for the serial port and you need to add the Amiga Explorer server program and create a startup-sequence script which will boot your Amiga straight into server mode.

Last edited by prowler; 06 March 2013 at 20:54.
Old 06 March 2013, 21:29   #23
spanner
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
But the Amiga's serial port is male, so you do need a female connector on the end of your cable, just as I said.

I guess so.

You will need to create a boot disk for your Amiga, which will be based on a Workbench disk. This will have a driver for the serial port and you need to add the Amiga Explorer server program and create a startup-sequence script which will boot your Amiga straight into server mode.
but is is not female look at the parallel adapter...?

It only fits in the parallel port on the amiga is that right..?

Last edited by spanner; 06 March 2013 at 22:00.
Old 06 March 2013, 22:15   #24
roy bates

here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DB25-25-PI...item3a6d0bb8ba

please stop saying parrallel,its scary.

Last edited by roy bates; 06 March 2013 at 22:22.
Old 06 March 2013, 22:36   #25
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
but is is not female look at the parallel adapter...?

It only fits in the parallel port on the amiga is that right..?
Yes, the one illustrated will only fit in the Amiga's parallel port, but the drop down box said USB M to F RS232. However, the components you should have received to meet that description are:
  1. a male USB to female DB9 cable and
  2. a male DB9 to female DB25 adapter
therefore those parts illustrated are both wrong!

Edit1: Mostly, sellers use stock pictures as illustrations, but the item description should be correct!

Edit2:
Quote:
Just ordered this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1604440728...84.m1497.l2649 so I can connect it to my serial port on the amiga.

I hope this will work if not then I will go back to using the emulator to transferring the files.
That part should, if attached to the male USB to male DB9 lead you have, enable it to be connected to the serial port of your Amiga, as intended, so you can move forward.

Last edited by prowler; 06 March 2013 at 23:29.
Old 07 March 2013, 01:02   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've just found this: http://www.ebay.es/itm/NUEVO-CABLE-A...#ht_4288wt_981

I hadn't seen one like this before.
Old 07 March 2013, 15:08   #27
spanner
none

Thanks

just ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Serial-Cab...item1e6e6aa6a6