English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 14 July 2015, 21:19   #1
number_47

Problem booting 3GB HDF file on WINUAEX (original XBOX)

Hello!

I am having a bit of a nightmare with this one and would very much appreciate some assistance from one of you fine Amiga enthusiasts who im sure are more than equipped to help with the issue!

Now then, I have a system.hdf file which I set up using bloodwychs installer and managed to set it all up using the workbench disks, etc.

Now the issue is the 500MB is not enough for all my WHDLOAD games, so what I did was create a new HDF file in WINUAE on my PC for 3GB, I formatted it and then transferred all the files from the 500MB system.hdf file to the 3gb HDF using DOPUS. Then manually added all my games, (took ages!)

Now this 3GB hdf file works fine on WINUE on the PC, however it is not recognised as a valid amigados disk by WINUAEX on the XBOX... The XBOX does recognise the 500mb one though...

Which is making me think is there some kind of limit to the HDF file size on the XBOX, or am I doing something wrong in the formatting process?

FYI I am using the latest version of WINUAX on XBOX.

I have spent hours reformatting, and re-transferring the games but it still wont work, maybe im missing something?

U guys are my last port of call until I eventually give up with this so I really hope somebody can help me.

Thankyou

Dave
Old 14 July 2015, 21:39   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try slightly less than 2G drive size. If this UAE port does not have >4G drive support, it can also have problems with 2G+ drive sizes.
Old 14 July 2015, 21:47   #3
number_47

thank you sir. I will try a smaller size.

much appreciated
Old 14 July 2015, 22:06   #4
ransom1122

On the other hand you might want to look at amigaxtras pack at emuextras. There's a working whdload set already made with box covers amd videos.
Old 14 July 2015, 23:57   #5
number_47

yeah, I have never found them to be at all helpful to be honest, all I have ever experienced with them is loads of useless information with no way to actually download anything, that place confuses the hell out of me! Seems they don't care much for helping people who are not part of their "secret society" and are happy to just confuse people to get rid of them.

Its taken me ages of my own trial and error to figure out WHDLOAD and how to use DOPUS and all that, I would rather just use my HDF file which I spent ages making instead of using some some other setup which is completely alien to me, and help on it is non existent.

why is nothing simple... sigh

It would also help as well if the emulator actually had some kind of text file which tells you that you cant use a big HDF file lol might of saved me about 12 hours of my life. o well

Last edited by number_47; 15 July 2015 at 00:32.
Old 15 July 2015, 01:29   #6
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by number_47 View Post
yeah, I have never found them to be at all helpful to be honest, all I have ever experienced with them is loads of useless information with no way to actually download anything, that place confuses the hell out of me! Seems they don't care much for helping people who are not part of their "secret society" and are happy to just confuse people to get rid of them.
Not true, they're are a great bunch of dedicated people that continually work on improving many projects they're working on.

You need to spend a bit of time and be an active member before you have access to the files you want. Then you'll be treated to what I believe is one of the best amis emulation experience you will come across for xbox.

In the meantime let us know your result once your own hdf is smaller then 4gb.
Old 15 July 2015, 02:00   #7
number_47

fair enough, I don't see myself making pointless posts on their forums just to gain enough street cred with them so they will help...

They annoyed the hell out of me with a posted tutorial for something that highlighted all of its bells and whistles, explained how great it was, then to be told it doesn't even exist after sending me on a wild goose chase looking for it!

My experience with them has been terrible unfortunately, im sure they have helped other ppl though...

I will let u know how it goes, may take a while now because I will have to rearrange all of the games again and its giving me a right headache to be honest. Thanks for your input though all the same
Old 15 July 2015, 10:34   #8
number_47

tried a hdf under 2gb and it still didn't work..

does anyone know anything about surfaces, sectors and blocktype?

I suspect that has something to do with it and I have no idea what im doing there. The 500gb file only has 1 surface and that works, whereas the larger files seem to have 4 and they don't work..
Old 16 July 2015, 00:07   #9
number_47

it appears WINUAEX on the xbox only supports HDF files which are under 1GB in size...

I would like to thank the developers and everybody involved with the project, for making that clear!

You have wasted hours and hours of my time thanks to your inability to state a basic instruction and the whole world wide web doesn't even have any literature regarding it.

Funny how you set up a thread expecting to get helped and you end helping yourself. Go figure

To the people who attempted to help me and who commented I thank you.

Last edited by number_47; 16 July 2015 at 00:18.
Old 16 July 2015, 08:39   #10
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by number_47 View Post
it appears WINUAEX on the xbox only supports HDF files which are under 1GB in size...
I don't think so. It's just that WINUAEX is quite old and WinUAE changed its behaviour for big HDFs a while ago. For HDFs >1GB WinUAE adjusts the geometry to be more compatible with Kick 1.3 while WINUAEX uses the same geometry for all HDFs. You have to manually enter the "old" geometry into the input fields of WinUAE to get the same behaviour as WINUAEX: Surfaces = 1, Sectors = 32. You have to do this every time you add a big HDF to a WinUAE configuration.
Old 16 July 2015, 22:28   #11
number_47

cheers Thomas.

After much time and deliberation, I have figured out that WINUAEX will only accept HDF's that are formatted with 1 surface and 32 sectors.. and anything over 1GB constitutes a 4 layer surface and 63 sectors and that will not be accepted.

I even tried using RDB mode and formatting the drive with HDtoolbox but it didn't accept that either.

If anybody else is having this issue (im sure many people will) I hope this thread saves them a lot of time.

Something completely unrelated, does anybody else constantly have the opening theme song for The Secret Of Monkey Island constantly stuck in their head? Maybe its just me, played that the other day and just cant get the opening theme out of my head! What an amazing soundtrack for a game!

I had an Amiga as a kid but never really got to deep into it and when I got a SNES one xmas I forgot about the old Amiga unfortunately (kids are silly). But now thanks to WINUAE and WHDLOAD I can go back in time and play everything I missed out on with pretty much perfect emulation! I truly love the Amiga

Last edited by number_47; 16 July 2015 at 22:50.