English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 May 2013, 19:58   #1
fatboy

Can't 'warm' to emulating Amiga!

Just can't get much of a kick out of emulating the Amiga on my PC.
It's feels empty and somewhat souless

Luckily I had an old A1200 still in my loft

Got a PSU for it of a rather kind forum member (Arnie )

Just ordered a scart lead, mouse and case screws from Amigakit....next on the agenda is a 4 GB CF HD (to replace the 2 GB 2.5" IDE drive)....then new ACA card (not sure which one yet).

And it's going on a nice old 14" SONY FST CRT (actually 15"!)....great authentic picture....just as it should be for gaming.

I'll still run high end demos via emulation, but the Amiga games expreiance needs to be 'real'
Old 15 May 2013, 20:07   #2
lesta_smsc

fatboy - there's lots of cheap TVs going on eBay, gumtree etc some even LARGER CRTs...and they're going for 99p! Just in case you fancy an upgrade lol
Old 15 May 2013, 20:57   #3
psygnosis

Amiga emulation with a wired xbox controller = win

I know what you mean though it just doesnt feel the same but hats off to these people making it happen fir those without an amiga
Old 15 May 2013, 21:32   #4
Gordon
Settler

For playing games, i agree. But for testing and trying things out its priceless. Ive learnt so much though emulation.
Old 16 May 2013, 03:09   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I have A1200's but I'm happy enough playing emulaton on xbox or pc. To be fair it's a simpler process for me using the xbox if I want a consistent framerate though but for certain types of game, pc emulation is just great. At least when you're using emulation you don't have to worry if your machine is going to die some point from old age
Old 16 May 2013, 05:41   #6
mikrucio

Emulation is like driving a ferrari in real life vs driving one in gran turismo.

You can get the same visuals but you cant get the feeling!
Old 16 May 2013, 11:11   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like the Gran Turismo feeling more to be honest, you can go faster and drive more wickedly without the consequences

I also like Amiga Emulation more than the real thing. The feel of it is completely different and nobody will argue that, but the ease of it (for the 95% of software that work with the quickstarts) cannot be beaten. In the end its the games themselves that count for me, the machine was an added bonus.

I'm a heretic, I know.
Old 16 May 2013, 11:47   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'm a heretic, I know.
Me too I can perfectly understand people that need the real deal, but for me emulation still conveys the magic of the demos and games I guess you could say I'm easily amused... Either way, it's just great to hear about anybody that returns to the Miggy
Old 16 May 2013, 11:54   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Can't 'warm' to emulating Amiga!

It's all about convenience for me. I haven't got the room to have separate Amigas and C64s permanently set up, or the time for it to be worth it. But I still own my original Amiga and a C64 and I could never sell them
Old 16 May 2013, 14:19   #10
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i love the two but my amiga 4000 is broken then i have no choice !!!!
hopefully hq2x is there and the graphics are better on winuae but i should buy a good old joystick very difficult to play some games with the xbox360 joypad !
Old 16 May 2013, 21:18   #11
fatboy

The problem for me is that having owned an original A1200 back in 92 (used until 99), the experience is somewhat engraved into my brain.

I can say the same for the entire Sinclair range which I have previously owned (ZX81 through to the +3), playing emulated ZX Spectrum games on my PC is not as pleasing an experience as is the real thing.

Emulation IS great when it comes to computers and consoles I never owned (SEGA Megadrive, N64, C64, SNES, NES etc), and it is especially true for Arcade emulation (MAME, RAINE, FBA, ZINC etc).

So I am a fan of emulation for most systems, but prefere the 'real' thing when it comes to machines that I have previously owned
Old 16 May 2013, 21:25   #12
rare_j
Zone Friend

Using real hardware is like driving a clapped out austin allegro where the gaskets could blow and the gearbox could fall onto the road at any minute.

Emulation with winuae is like a german supercar - super slick and highly pleasing.

P.S. I own real hardware too!
Old 16 May 2013, 22:53   #13
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

So how many of you purchased an Amiga 500, Amiga 1200 only to put it into collection but stick to emulation?

I'm still considering it, I just wanted the real thing for my kids to look back on in my youth
Old 16 May 2013, 23:01   #14
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
Just can't get much of a kick out of emulating the Amiga on my PC.
It's feels empty and somewhat souless

Luckily I had an old A1200 still in my loft
i know exactly how you feel buddy! UAE took a LONG time to grow on me.

but as you've got a real miggy, try copying your HD to your PC and using that when you're away or not able to bring your Amiga.

I find using my real amiga hard drive images on UAE helps to appease the "separation" from real to emulated
Old 17 May 2013, 00:33   #15
Zak
Zap´em

What I enjoy on emulation is that I can have a look into the Internet without a second device in gaming pauses and I like to listen to Youtube-videos or online radio while gaming. What I hate is my game controller problem on the PC.

@Neil: I also had my Amigas for collection only and I don´t have space for them around, too, but my Amigas and collectibles have been badly damaged in their store, so this didn´t work out for me.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:41   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
I'm still considering it, I just wanted the real thing for my kids to look back on in my youth
My kids look back and say whats this rubbish, give me my xbox and wii, .
Kids today are spoiled by the eye candy, these days.
Old 17 May 2013, 00:43   #17
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Kids today are spoiled by the eye candy, these days.
actually i think they're helping buck the trend of the likes of COD and MW2/3 etc and supporting "indie devs" cos that, and the "retro" graphics are "cool"
Old 17 May 2013, 14:09   #18
fatboy

Just got a few parts from Amigakit (Scart lead, Mouse and case screws)

Fired up the A1200 on the TV, and.......It works!

Only problem is the IDE HD has died. Not a major problem I'll switch over to a CF HD next month (have to budget for these things)

I'll stick on ClassicWB 68K (plus a ton of classic WHD games), but then I might buy an ACA board next and upgrade to OS3.1 and ClassicWB ADVSP, like I use to have?

Might replace the yellowing keyboard as well.....starts getting an expensive hobby this
Old 17 May 2013, 18:08   #19
Zak
Zap´em

Tell me fatboy, don´t you have the same weird feeling with WHDload games? It´s in a way "not real" as is an emulator game or do you feel comfortable with it then?
Old 17 May 2013, 19:42   #20
fatboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
Tell me fatboy, don´t you have the same weird feeling with WHDload games? It´s in a way "not real" as is an emulator game or do you feel comfortable with it then?
if its on a HD inside my real A1200 I can live with that

WHDload would have been great if it was around back in 1992