English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 14 August 2010, 21:15   #41
athiga
aka bigfoot catnap

ive come to the conclusion that the best allround 1200 is standard case with a blizzard 030 with 16 meg or 32 mem plus pcmcia network card a hard drive with whdload installed and killer gorilla's packs

this 1200 is way over spec for playing scavenge and is only missing a ppc board
wich elbox never finished

anyways if it was in my loft i would have got it down sooner or never put it up there lol

you lucky man!
Old 16 August 2010, 13:52   #42
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
@techn1um

Your Simm was posted today as promised

Steve.
Old 22 August 2010, 19:51   #43
techn1um

Right im back

OK im back, ive installed the new sim from Steve

When it loads into workbench it says 1,498,016 graphics mem and 30,208,560 other mem is that good?

It boots up like a rocket LOL

ok so now what?

thanks
Old 22 August 2010, 20:08   #44
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Glad the Ram arrived safe

Sounds like its working for you.

I started a tread for idea's on what to run on an Amiga with an 060, check it out here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=54615

Most games and such can be found these days with google, have a look for some Amiga CD ISO's, just download and burn to CD then you're good to go.

Also check out the EAB File server, I found some great games there.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=43633

Have you tried WHDLoad?

Thats access to over 2200 games installed and ready to run from your hard drive:

Grab the archive from - http://www.whdload.de/

And the pre installed packs from:

http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/

That should keep you busy

Steve.
Old 22 August 2010, 20:12   #45
techn1um

Thanks steve.

Ive been away from the scene for so long ive not heard of anything!!!

The iso's you said to burn will then be ok to burn on and pc and would they then work in the Miggy??

I didnt mean what now as in what to do with the Amiga I cant get that far yet because I need help with getting the monitor to work with the graphics card, I can only get it to show on the 15" monitor.
Old 22 August 2010, 21:03   #46
techn1um

Also forgot to say

1) how do you turn off or restart an Amiga tower? at the moment ive just been pressing the power button but is that safe for a hard drive???

2) when I boot into workbench it comes up with a message about IDE Fix being a demo, what does IDE FIX do and is there a place I can get the full version free or are they still licenced?

3) how do I know what version of workbench I have installed on this tower as with the stuff I got with it there was a boxed version of Amiga Workbench 3.1 and a copied cd of Amiga Workbench 3.9

thanks again for all your help.
Old 22 August 2010, 21:34   #47
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Check your PM .

Does your tower have a reset button? Try if it works to restart/reboot amiga. Also CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA resets computer. Check Workbench version in the Workbench menu by selecting "about".
Old 22 August 2010, 21:43   #48
techn1um

thanks mate got pm.

If I goto "about" on workbench it says workbench version 40 something.

Also the Tower has a reset button but that appears to do nothing. As its a tower I dont have a Amiga keyboard its a pc mouse and keyboard so dont have those key combinations. Any other ideas??

thanks again
Old 22 August 2010, 21:51   #49
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn1um View Post
If I goto "about" on workbench it says workbench version 40 something.
Then you've got Workbench 3.1 installed.

Workbench 3.9 is reported as version 45 something.
Old 22 August 2010, 22:03   #50
techn1um

Thanks Prowler, its all off again now but will double check it tomorrow just to make sure but sure it was 40 something. Ive just had a look at the OS3.1 box and its got 2 chips with it, think they must be the roms it mentions but cant be the ones if im already running 3.1 like you said.

The chips say

Commodore Amiga
390979-01
@1991 v2.04 37-175
9146XD011

Any idea what these are?

So much to learn and there was I thinking it was just a case of dragging it out of the attic and playing the odd game of Deluxe Galaga....how wrong was I!!!!!
Old 22 August 2010, 22:12   #51
athiga
aka bigfoot catnap

ide fix will still work ok it just nags about gettin full version wich came with controlers
but isnt needed in os 3.9 anyway but i dont realy understand all them 3.9 fixes
and trust 3.1 with your own hacks aplied but what ever your os you have make shure the
p97 driver is installed then you need http://www.elbox.com/products/mediat...imedia_cd.html for voodoo drivers if its not already installed
Old 22 August 2010, 22:15   #52
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Ive just had a look at the OS3.1 box and its got 2 chips with it, think they must be the roms it mentions but cant be the ones if im already running 3.1 like you said.

The chips say

Commodore Amiga
390979-01
@1991 v2.04 37-175
9146XD011

Any idea what these are?
They are Kickstart 2.04 (version 37.175) ROMs.

OS3.1 is sometimes bundled with 3.1 ROMs, and I expect that is what you have installed in your machine.

The Kickstart version reported by selecting About from the Workbench menu is 40.068 for an A1200. That will confirm that you have 3.1 ROMs fitted.

3.1 ROMs are usually fitted in an A1200 to replace 3.0 ROMs, so I'm not sure where those 2.04 ROMs in your OS3.1 box came from. I don't think the A1200 was ever shipped with 2.04 ROMs, but maybe someone else can confirm this.
Old 22 August 2010, 22:26   #53
techn1um

OK starting to think im way over my head here, perhaps I should have stuck with my trusty A1200 LOL

OK the Amiga chips were in the box so no idea where they came from, theres a jiffy somewhere with more chips in so must find that out to find out what they are.

I think the first step is to get this Amiga working with the graphics card but the link youve posted is to a site where you "BUY" the drivers, is that right? are they not freely available on the net then?

thanks again.
Old 22 August 2010, 22:37   #54
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi!

ISO's that you burn on the PC should work fine on the Amiga, all mine have so far

But first it sounds like we need to get you up and running with workbench and the voodoo graphics, which I'm sorry to say is not very straight forward.

I think the best place for you to start is with one of the Classic Workbench packs as they contain all the tools you're going to need to extract archives, play music, run games, manage files, etc, etc.

For your machine I suggest the Classic Workbench OS3.9 Pack. Its a bit of a bugger to setup, so I suggest doing all the work in WinUAE.

Once you've done that and got it running you are going to need to setup the drivers for the mediator (PCI Busboard) and the Graphics card. The Graphic card driver is called Picasso96 and needs a little bit of hackery to work with a Voodoo Graphics card.

I've set all this up on my system very recently so its all fresh in my should you get stuck.

Now have you got the CD for the Mediator, because you'll need this? Its a yellow disk with MMCD in big red writing.

One thing to bare in mind, native Amiga screens (like those in games) don't normally work through the Voodoo so you'll need a 2nd output for those screens, like you flicker fixer so maybe you'll need a switch box. Depends what Monitor you want to use. I use a small LCD TV, the Voodoo is connected to the PC input and the native outputs go via scart (so I need to change channel when I switch screens, i.e load a non RTG game)

I don't want to overwhelm you with information yet, let me know what you think about Classic Workbench and what sort screen you want to use.

Steve.
Old 22 August 2010, 22:49   #55
techn1um

Hi Steve

Im happy to do whatever you suggest to be honest as I really have no clue. Isnt classic workbench very similar to Magic workbench?

Going to the site you suggested theres loads of different downloads Lite, Full, ADV, ADVSP etc etc so which one is correct for my machine?

Also you say about installing it through Winuae, ive downloaded it, but will need some help as its really new to me.

I have no cd for the mediator so dont have that and just looked and from the site mentioned earlier its $40 plus $40 shipping thats nearly £45 for a CD!!! surely that cant be right?

Thanks for all your help so far everyone!
Old 22 August 2010, 22:56   #56
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Hi Steve

Im happy to do whatever you suggest to be honest as I really have no clue. Isnt classic workbench very similar to Magic workbench?

Going to the site you suggested theres loads of different downloads Lite, Full, ADV, ADVSP etc etc so which one is correct for my machine?

Also you say about installing it through Winuae, ive downloaded it, but will need some help as its really new to me.

I have no cd for the mediator so dont have that and just looked and from the site mentioned earlier its $40 plus $40 shipping thats nearly £45 for a CD!!! surely that cant be right?

Thanks for all your help so far everyone!
No problem

I think the best one for you is the OS3.9 pack (as I know from experiance the ADV SP pack does not like the Picasso Drivers)

The other packs are aimed at lower end systems.

Now I'm using a customised version of the Classic Woerkbench P96, its meant for UAE but I made some changes and it works great on my Towered A1200, have a little peek at my [ Show youtube player ]

Can you tell me what Screen you want to use and what type of hard drive you have?
Old 22 August 2010, 22:59   #57
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You can download the latest mediator drivers directly from Elbox website. dont need to buy the cd unless you have an old mediator that needs the updated mach chips.
Old 22 August 2010, 23:06   #58
athiga
aka bigfoot catnap

you have to install mediator stuff for pci and other settings wich has a installer script to run and then when u install p97 it asks what gfx card select cybervision64 when finished rename it to voodoo5 in devs theres a bunch of other stuff todo before it works
wich is all documented in the elbox mmcd

like it has been said you need the cd first and a fresh install of os it sounds complex
i struggled for a week with a s3 card then realised how many diferent chipsets were
used in s3 card so got a voodoo3 and it worked first time with voodoo3 driver
now it lookes good even on my 24inch monitor i switch to composite for
native aga screens in games ect

i was overwelmed with iformation a few times also shit happens
Old 22 August 2010, 23:13   #59
techn1um

Right I have had a look at your youtube vid and it looks good so I will go with that.

So how do you get it to work on the Amiga instead of the emulator?

Im hoping to have the Amiga work on my 26" tv screen. At the moment I have a 15" monitor connected to it but thats only because nothing else does! I dont know what hard drive is fitted, does that make a difference?

thanks again.
Old 22 August 2010, 23:28   #60
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Ok, what sort of TV is it, are we talking LCD TV with a PC input and a couple of scart/HDMI sockets?

That should be ideal if thats the case.

The hard drive, is it just a regular 3.5in PC hard drive or is it a CF card in an adapter or 2.5in laptop HDD?

You're really jumping in at the deep end here! I won't lie it took me months to get my system running like this with sooo many help posts and sleepless nights.

In simple steps you need to:

Install WinUAE
Find Kickstart Roms (Google)
Setup Classic Workbench in UAE
Connect your HDD to your PC
Prepare the HDD for Amiga use via the Emulator
This will include installing a file system and partitioning the drive
Copy your setup Workbench to the HDD
Copy all the WHDLoad Games and any other files to the HDD
Put HDD back in Amiga
Setup the CD Rom Drive (IDEFix installer)
Run the installers for the Mediator
Setup the Voodoo Card & other PCI cards

I still suggest the OS3.9 pack for you or else you're going to have to mess around hacking the P96 pack for use on the real Amiga.