English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 June 2014, 21:02   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

OpenXCom - Open Source X-Com release!

Quote:
Another great bit of news today as OpenXcom, which is the new open source version of X-Com originally released by Microprose in 1994 has now hit the big 1.0 version release. Replay one of the best strategy games ever made as you take control of an organisation in a task to defend the Earth from an invading alien force
Source
http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/0...0-feature.html

Game Page
http://openxcom.org/2014/06/openxcom-1-0/
Old 15 June 2014, 22:26   #2
jack-3d
kLiker

Please someone make Amiga OS 3.x port, please
Old 15 June 2014, 22:38   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-3d View Post
Please someone make Amiga OS 3.x port, please
Err..., hmm
Old 15 June 2014, 23:05   #4
jack-3d
kLiker

Dont worry I know the game very well, but I played also the PC version and comparing to Amiga version they have day/night cycles in missions (at night flares must be used). This open xcom can be also moded with new weapons, ufo and aircraft types, ...
Old 16 June 2014, 00:40   #5
ancalimon
Supernormal

PC version also has tactical music (like the ecs version) which is great. It also has more animations.
Old 16 June 2014, 11:55   #6
Cherno

Saw this on IRN yesterday, I was very pleased with the user interface changes. I play through all three X-Com games every year or so, and this will probably be my new go-to version (I only played vanilla so far). Hopefully, they will do the same for TFTD.
Old 16 June 2014, 13:08   #7
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Saw this on IRN yesterday, I was very pleased with the user interface changes. I play through all three X-Com games every year or so, and this will probably be my new go-to version (I only played vanilla so far). Hopefully, they will do the same for TFTD.

Yeh same, what with this and OpenTTD and OpenIG my life is ( nearly open source ) complete
Old 17 June 2014, 23:12   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Here is a guy who does an excellent in-depth let's play:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 March 2015, 12:36   #9
Anubis
Retro Gamer

While I was doing something else with X-Com, I remember reading about this on DOS gamers web site and decided to give it a go... but with different 'grown up' goal - make it fast and easy to beat game... as I don't have as much time as I used to have back in days when I finished game first time on real DOS machine.

This little version of game is astonishing, as you can do whatever you like to do, for example, you can edit in game rules, so instead of taking 20 days to build something, you can set it to be 1 day. Both, game rules as well saves are text format YAML style, so you can use Notepad++ for easy edit (just enable YAML in language menu once you open file).

So add yourself 100 million, change all characters to 200 in all attributes just text file away, and if you know how to use regular expression, you can even script whole thing. In rules you can change for example housing to give 500 instead of regular 50 spaces, or even better, create base the way you like it (you can remove build time in save state) and once done, copy over the same buildings from base to base. You can do anything you like in game... (even change contributions from nations to your cause )

I love what they have done to interface and game windows, witch is adjustable to full-screen, windows, and all resolution your monitor supports. It properly uses mouse wheel to scroll in list, or zoom in/out. Also just to note, its supported on $hitload of OS-es and now you can even import your old original DOS version 'saves'. Also not to forget, state count is unlimited now, and as I mentioned, all of them are in text format.

EDIT: Forgot to mention mods, as this allows you to install bunch of mods, some of them well made for example replace UFO crafts or mission landscape, while other introduce new technology to research and manufacture... this adds lots to game's re-playability...

Anyone who loves x-com - you have to try this little gem...

How about creating your own missions?

DosGamer's page on Open-X-Com

Official Open-X-Com site

Last edited by Anubis; 11 March 2015 at 15:10.
Old 12 March 2015, 14:11   #10
Decker

If the tactical view actually scales to resolution, I guess a lot of the entire maps fit into a single screen @ 1080.

Pixel art looks really nice viewed in modern resolutions, if done properly. Red Alert 2, for example is awesome.

As far as Amiga UFO goes, just give me AGA version with ECS music and I'd be happy.
Old 12 March 2015, 14:33   #11
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As far as Amiga UFO goes, just give me AGA version with ECS music and I'd be happy.
Does that mean the AGA version doesn't have music?

I've never played it on Amiga before (only the Win compatible re-edition), but I've always wanted to give it a spin. I hope no features are cut from the PC version
Old 12 March 2015, 15:24   #12
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
If the tactical view actually scales to resolution, I guess a lot of the entire maps fit into a single screen @ 1080.

Pixel art looks really nice viewed in modern resolutions, if done properly. Red Alert 2, for example is awesome.

Settings I use makes game look the same as it looked on Amiga or DOS. One problem I had, from what I remember replaying it on Win98/DOS back in the day is that even @ Pentium 133 game run way too fast in geospace, so I had to use CPU throttle to play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post

I've never played it on Amiga before (only the Win compatible re-edition), but I've always wanted to give it a spin. I hope no features are cut from the PC version
I am not sure, I never played AGA version, but I played a lot OCS/ECS version but never completed the game on an Amiga. IMHO it was very simillar, if not the same.

I know that DOS version had many bugs, there was patch, and this new version fixes all of those issues and adds tons of features. Not sure if those bugs were fixed in Amiga version or not.

My kids find background music eerie ...
Old 13 March 2015, 12:04   #13
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Well, completed game last night with some major cheating... Love story at the end...

Wish they fix TFTD (they are working on it) as it would be nice to finally finish that as well. (never got into it, even I own it for around 20 years now)
Old 13 March 2015, 12:15   #14
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Well, completed game last night with some major cheating... Love story at the end...

Wish they fix TFTD (they are working on it) as it would be nice to finally finish that as well. (never got into it, even I own it for around 20 years now)
Same here, I've always played either X-COM 1 or 3, but TFTD just wouldn't "click" with me. Maybe OpenXCom can fix that
Old 13 March 2015, 14:46   #15
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
AGA has a different (=wrong) Geoscape music compared to ECS. And no tactical music.

AGA is still the far superior version in every other way. I just happen to love the original music so very much. It's essential to the experience
Old 10 October 2023, 20:02   #16
derSammler

Old thread, but it seems no one ever talked about it again here.

I did set this up to play both UFO and TFTD on my PiStorm A500 today. Took some time to get music etc. working in UFO, as you need many files from different places, which is not fully obvious. But all works very well. Only issue is that the Amiga mouse pointer is visible all the time, along with the mouse pointer from the game (see far right on the 3rd screenshot).

Sadly, this is really Emu68-only. Even the Vampire is too slow for it (not my statement, but from the person who did the Amiga port).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231010_160453475.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	80444   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231010_160549693.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	80445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231010_160714405.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	80446  
Old 10 October 2023, 21:17   #17
Anubis
Retro Gamer

That is cool. I finished the game multiple times on PC port. (one of rare games that I have always installed )

It looks quite good. What options do you have for resolution on 'miggy?

I got piStorm32 for my A1200, but no time to install it...

Last edited by Anubis; 10 October 2023 at 21:22.
Old 10 October 2023, 21:21   #18
DisasterIncarna

Does it need a beefy setup? i remember trying FreeSynd, which crawled badly and thought, nah ill stick to the normal version.
Old 10 October 2023, 21:24   #19
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
It looks quite good. What options do you have for resolution on 'miggy?
That's just the original 320x200.

Quote:
Does it need a beefy setup? i remember trying FreeSynd, which crawled badly and thought, nah ill stick to the normal version.
Yes, PiStorm with Emu68 is a must. But it runs very well. UFO runs just like on a fast PC; TFTD seems a bit slower, but not in a way that hinders game play. Could be, however, due to a different music format. Need to try OGG for TFTD's music.
Old 10 October 2023, 21:26   #20
arti

Will pressing Amiga+m help?