English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 August 2011, 14:18   #1
N-Ed

15Hz RGB -> VGA Converter on Ebay

Hi guys!

Just found this converter on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/15Khz-RGB-CGA-Co...item1c1d949b8f

Been thinking of getting a monitor for my A1200, instead of hogin' the tv when the missus wants to watch Desperate housewife(sigh) and the likes of that.
Will this little device do the trick, eg will I be able to play me games on a modern flatscreen monitor if I convert the RGB- to VGA signal using this?
Has anybody here tried this unit before?

Any thoughts?

ps i know about the Indivision AGA 1200. But I'm tryin' to save up some money to redo the bathroom at home, so I'm cutting costs

Cheers & beers!
Old 18 August 2011, 14:59   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Already been discussed once or twice in the past.

This device is (unfortunately) shite (and expensive). It's only 16-bit which means loss of colour fidelity on A1200 in AGA modes. It's scan rate conversion hardware and scaler is aweful.

If you really need something then get the CHEAPER and 100% better

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/ARCADE-G...733430559/item

http://en.gonbes.com/product_detail.asp?menuid=95&id=23

Reviewed here :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59374

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2011 at 17:08.
Old 18 August 2011, 15:07   #3
N-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
100 millionth time this device is shite. It's only 16-bit which means loss of colour fidelity on A1200 in AGA modes. It's scan rate conversion hardware and scaler is aweful.

If you really need something then get the CHEAPER and 100% better

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/ARCADE-G...733430559/item

http://en.gonbes.com/product_detail.asp?menuid=95&id=23

Reviewed here :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=59374
So sorry sire

But I'm not very good at serching for info on forums, I never ever ever find anything relevant, that's why I asked the same question as "100 million" other newbs I'll just crawl back to my hole now, thanks for your help though.

Cheers!
Old 18 August 2011, 16:31   #4
Allen1

Hi there N-Ed,

please don't take what Alexh wrote or the way he wrote it personally, this was probably meant as a general comment and not aimed at anyone in particular and although some of his comments like this are a little blunt and to the point, they are also generally full of useful information and facts.

I also have problems finding information at times and its good to see old postings brought to the surface by other people now and then as it saves a lot of searching on a site like this one.
Old 18 August 2011, 17:03   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
this was probably meant as a general comment and not aimed at anyone in particular
Yup. It was a "Sigh. If I had €1 for every time..." (I've gone back and edited it a bit )

If it had been a personal thing, would I have gone to the loving trouble of looking up a listing on the Swedish version of eBay for you??

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2011 at 17:08.
Old 18 August 2011, 19:55   #6
Photon

Interesting video on the Swe eBay ad page... where on earth do you get such a monitor today ;p Maybe it has black side borders on HD screens though, so. And of course a CRT works right away.

Four cheers for gadgets from China and Taiwan What would we do without'em eh?
Old 18 August 2011, 20:19   #7
Allen1

Yup. It was a "Sigh. If I had €1 for every time..."

That's what most of us who know you would have understood without thinking anything else, we all have our style of writing that everyone reading our comments get accustomed to over time. N-Ed will also get used to the way different folk write on the forum especially with the tongue in cheek type of comments that most of us make
Old 18 August 2011, 20:57   #8
N-Ed

Ohhh don't sweat it, I'm just playing the victim And people on the net almost never get under my skin, and whenever they do I just picture this classic in my head:
[image removed]

Thank for the info anyhow. What I'm checking out now is a replacement monitors(flatscreens) for Slow Scan Legacy Systems, but the ones I've found are quite pricey.

Last edited by TCD; 19 August 2011 at 17:05. Reason: Picture has been reported
Old 18 August 2011, 21:09   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Get an LCDTV instead? Under €100 for one with an RGB SCART input?

Last edited by alexh; 18 August 2011 at 21:26.
Old 18 August 2011, 21:25   #10
N-Ed

Yupp that's what I'll do... And a shorter RGB then the one i have for my big screen.

Thanks Alexh
Old 30 August 2011, 14:10   #11
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Get an LCDTV instead? Under €100 for one with an RGB SCART input?
Thats what i did. Went and bought a 42LX650N (LG LED -LCD) since i "needed" a TV anyway. Boy was that stupid. It doesn't work with the Amiga, it doesn't work with NTSC games on the Playstation, and all games "lag" due to some sort of post processing that LG's support claim is possible to shut of, yet have been unable to guide me through to get turned of... Even the XboX fails to get a good image, although it doesn't lag...

Simply put. You want to buy a TV for your toys. Bring your toys, and get them tested on the TV of your choice, that way you got the sliver of a chance that you'll find something that works out for you... Also. It seams cheaper brands, Asian imports re-branded with one thing or another, has a bigger shoot at working for one or another reason...
B!