English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 April 2019, 00:13   #61
Eriond
Happy Registered User

I think, because we're building a co-processor for the Amiga, and not a RPi-based Amiga replacement.
Sorry if I sound arrogant, it's not my intention, but I too have sometimes forgotten "the bigger picture" when working with this project. It's really easy to get carried away by all the nice and cool things you can do with the RPi. But for all our intents, it has been about enhancing the Amiga, not replacing it.

Edit:
Seen in the light of our intent, it wasn't that big decision to go with a mechanical solution that blocks access to the RPi's audio and video ports. As I mentioned before, I'm not super happy with that solution, but I'm not loosing sleep over it either.

Last edited by Eriond; 27 April 2019 at 08:37.
Old 27 April 2019, 03:39   #62
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriond View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. I will make contact with Lukas to see if there is a common ground for our projects. I will post any such outcome after we have had a proper discussion developer to developer.
Thank you!
Old 12 May 2019, 22:49   #63
project23
Used Register

Just wanted to say I've not forgotten about this.

Been having some issues bringing my TF530 up, so this is on hold until I get the 530 running. Hopefully won't be too long then i'll give the A314 a look!

John
Old 16 May 2019, 02:22   #64
NovaCoder

Hi Eriond,

This is a very cool hardware project, well done to all involved

As this hardware is for OCS/ECS Amiga's an interesting project might be to offload the chunky 8 bit to 6 bit planer conversion using an optimized median palette technique. I used this technique for my old ports of ScummVM and Wolfenstein 3D OCS/ECS but doing this conversion with the 68K CPU each frame is very slow. If this palette and C2P conversion was all done on the RPi then the planer 6 bit image could then be written out directly to the CHIPRAM each frame with no performance cost to the Amiga.

I still have this code somewhere (based on the code used in ADOOM), just let me know.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by NovaCoder; 18 May 2019 at 02:56.
Old 16 May 2019, 20:16   #65
Niklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
As this hardware is for OCS/ECS Amiga's an interesting project might be to offload the chunky 8 bit to 6 bit planer conversion using an optimized median palette technique. I used this technique for my old ports of ScummVM and Wolfenstein 3D OCS/ECS but doing this conversion with the 68K CPU each frame is very slow. If this palette and C2P conversion was all done on the RPi then the chunky 6 bit image could then be written out directly to the CHIPRAM each frame with no performance cost to the Amiga.

I still have this code somewhere (based on the code used in ADOOM), just let me know.
If you are willing to share your c2p code I would be happy to port it to the RPi, together with code to interface with it. Once that is done, is there some easy way to make your port of Wolfenstein 3D call this code instead of your previous c2p code?
Old 16 May 2019, 23:17   #66
NovaCoder

Happy to share the c2p code (ASM) and optimised palette code.

I was thinking of a generic library that anyone can use to display an 8 bit chunky frame. Then I could update Wolfenstein to use this new library. Is that possible?

The game would need to call a setpalette function and then a displayimage function on the library.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 17 May 2019 at 00:49.
Old 17 May 2019, 08:02   #67
Niklas

Quote:
I was thinking of a generic library that anyone can use to display an 8 bit chunky frame. Then I could update Wolfenstein to use this new library. Is that possible?
That sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
Happy to share the c2p code (ASM) and optimised palette code.
Can you share it publicly (e.g. on GitHub) or should I send you my email address in a pm?
Old 17 May 2019, 08:06   #68
NovaCoder

send my your email address as a pm and I'll send you the code.
Old 20 May 2019, 14:30   #69
AndrewNC

The PCBs i ordered arrived today

I have plenty of spares, if anyone needs one i can sell you one for £13.00 GBP plus postage. Please note, this is the 'Beta 2' version of the board.

I'm still short of a few components to build up mine, hopefully be able to start next weekend.

Andy.
Old 20 May 2019, 17:52   #70
project23
Used Register

Niccce... I still need to build mine up. Just have to wait another week until payday before I can order everything in. Got my 530 working fine now so got a nice accelerated A500 to work with. Looking forward to at least some very basic coding with the A314!

John
Old 20 May 2019, 18:07   #71
Eriond
Happy Registered User

If I may suggest a build order; start with the DC converters in the lower right corner and make sure you get the proper voltages at the test points at the top of the board.
That will ensure, or at least reduce the risk, that you don't fry any of the more costly components later on. Happy soldering, and don't forget to report your progress
Old 20 May 2019, 18:19   #72
project23
Used Register

Thanks dude... And I will certainly report progress! Expect me to start asking a lot of questions in a week or two haha
Old 23 May 2019, 23:43   #73
AndrewNC

Started putting my first A314 together;

Discovered I'd ordered 3.3V regulators instead of 4.3V though for IC9, so it'll be a little while before I get any further This is what I get for being impatient and not waiting for the proper BOM before ordering parts
Old 04 June 2019, 13:54   #74
Doma

Is there anyway to buy a prebuilt version of this? From a webshop or something?
Old 04 June 2019, 16:12   #75
project23
Used Register

Mines postponed again unfortunately!

Car trouble means a skimped electronics budget this month

Still, its right near the top of my list! I think this really opens the door to some engaging programming projects.
Old 04 June 2019, 16:21   #76
Puggsy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
But why use paula for audio when you can use the pi audio output?
Because the PWM Pi in-built audio is absolute trash.

This project is insane, can you use the Pi as a NIC for the Amiga? And can you leverage any other tasks like accelerating?

And is anyone building and selling these? I don't have the ability to solder one myself
Old 04 June 2019, 16:33   #77
project23
Used Register

Its quite pricey even without the pi I'm afraid. I think I costed the build at around 50GBP without the pi, which is similar to the cost of the TF534 BOM. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely still excited about it, but small production runs may end up selling for as much as a low cost accelerator. Maybe as time goes on the design can be refined.

If/when I get mine working, I'll happily throw another together to sell... Just to contribute something back, ya know?

If others do the same, I'm sure you'll be able to get one with time!

John
Old 04 June 2019, 17:46   #78
Niklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doma View Post
Is there anyway to buy a prebuilt version of this? From a webshop or something?
None that I know of I'm afraid. Maybe AndrewNC can be convinced to build another one once he gets his working?

If you have some idea of how to contribute to the project, by coming up with some application and implementing that (with our help of course!), then Eriond has built a couple of extra A314s that he is willing to hand out, if you are serious about doing the project and the idea sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
This project is insane, can you use the Pi as a NIC for the Amiga? And can you leverage any other tasks like accelerating?
That's the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
And is anyone building and selling these? I don't have the ability to solder one myself
See answer above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Its quite pricey even without the pi I'm afraid. I think I costed the build at around 50GBP without the pi, which is similar to the cost of the TF534 BOM.
That price point sounds about right. Perhaps buying an empty PCB from someone who ordered multiple could make it a little cheaper.
Old 04 June 2019, 19:03   #79
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niklas View Post
That price point sounds about right. Perhaps buying an empty PCB from someone who ordered multiple could make it a little cheaper.
Please don't think I was making a negative criticism; just trying to manage expectations of people requesting completed boards, that's all. It's still an incredible project.

If there is enough interest in the UK I might do a small run of boards to sell.

John
Old 04 June 2019, 23:16   #80
AndrewNC

Finally ordered the last of the parts! I've bought components to build four units in total, will be keeping two so there should be two spare that i'll have available to sell.

As far as costs go, I've spent about £220 on components for the four boards, plus the cost of the PCBs. Probably be looking at around £80-£90ish as a selling price.