English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 December 2019, 12:03   #1
Jolabandola

Lamer question about scsi.device

I have finally finished building my harddrive and prepped everything for my SD-card in WinUAE to be put back into my Amiga 600. I installed WB3.1.4.1 and all the software i could possible need plus whdload games.
I have done this a few times before as i have tried different things. This time everything worked out great but i just remembered that i might have missed one important thing.

I have forgotten to rename SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=scsi.device to SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device in HDToolBox icon information.

Am i screwed now?
Do i have to wipe the card and start over or can i simply just rename the scsi.device to uaehf.device now?
Old 10 December 2019, 12:17   #2
Daedalus

That should work fine provided everything else was done as it would be for the real hardware. At the simplest level, the tooltype just tells HDToolbox which device to use to access the hard drive and has no bearing on the actual booting of the drive. The only real reason for using scsi.device there is to emulate the actual hardware it will run on and check that it all works ok.

You can change the tooltype setting now, or just leave it until you need to use HDToolbox again. The A600 will use scsi.device to boot without needing to be told.
Old 10 December 2019, 12:23   #3
Jolabandola

Ok that is nice to hear. That reply just made my day! I wont touch anything if it works when i get my Amiga back from recap.

I just made a hardfile of my SD-card as a test and tried starting winuae with that as my harddrive instead of the SD-card. I then changed scsi.device to uaehf.device in the icon information of HDToolbox. I saved and rebooted and it worked just like before.
Old 10 December 2019, 20:00   #4
Nightshft

I can only second what Deadalus says. I changed the device name often because sometimes I'd partition a card on the pc (winuae) and sometimes on the Amiga. Changing the tooltype only defines where the program HDToolbox will look at when YOU intentionally start it.