English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 April 2019, 20:11   #1
thairacerjp

Virtual GP

hi, i've got a serious bug with this game, i have tested the demo and he always asked for data disk, i have tested the CD , installation is ok , very fast cause all is play from cd, i have 3 icons for low resolution game, high resolution and when i try to launch any of us, i have some music, two screen intro Name of the author "alien" and after that, it return to workbench with this message "VGP_DATA:VGP: unknown command" .
i on classic workbench 3.1 , CD32 with TF330 64 mo ram. most of games are ok but this one make me confused , when the game start, it reading from CD.....
so if you have a tips ! thanks
ps : before open this thread i've read other about this game and found nothing similar to my error.

Edit : today i have tried on winuae and it works with the same cd, so i have made new try and it have started on my CD32..... but the cd turn and turn endlessly and made some bad noise. So i think it's my CD who is not good.

Edit 2 : i have make a copy of my CD and now it start and run ok,loading the anim HAM intro who is invisible, just have the sound and after a screen say "loading, please wait " and nothing happends !
the demo is working without problem.......

Last edited by thairacerjp; 10 April 2019 at 22:53.
Old 11 April 2019, 01:04   #2
xubidoo

not sure if any help , but there are some patches available , they may or may not help.

http://hol.abime.net/1578

cant try it myself as i dont have the game.

Old 11 April 2019, 07:51   #3
thairacerjp

thanks, i have tried patches, it doesn't help more, it working without problem on winuae without patches, may be a CD drive fault or a compatibility problem with the TF330.... i will do a test with my TF328.But why the demo is ok ?
Old 11 April 2019, 17:50   #4
xubidoo

i would have tried it on my TF330 , but the game no longer appears to be available to buy , shame as it looks quite good

But from reading your 1st post, it does sound like your CD drive/laser is on the way out, maybe time to get a new laser fitted, and also the CD32 recapped if you haven't had it done yet.

Old 11 April 2019, 17:58   #5
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
i would have tried it on my TF330 , but the game no longer appears to be available to buy , shame as it looks quite good
/Commodore_Amiga/TOSEC/TOSEC-ISO (2018-07-27)/Amiga CD/Games/[ISO]/Virtual GP (1999)(Islona)[!].zip
Old 11 April 2019, 18:02   #6
xubidoo

ahh cheers DamienD , i did have a look but didn't see it , must b going blind in my old age

Old 11 April 2019, 20:18   #7
thairacerjp

Quote:

But from reading your 1st post, it does sound like your CD drive/laser is on the way out, maybe time to get a new laser fitted, and also the CD32 recapped if you haven't had it done yet.
i don't think my CD fault cause only this game make me this problem, before stop on the loading screen, he loading at full speed (the led activity is activate for 20/30 seconds, i hear the music intro, all intro, just no video cause may be some problem with the HAM format (all HAM video i have are working faultless), i have thinking about my indivision card and connected a cable to the RCA video, but no more video, and after it the led activity stop and the loading screen hang.
and i burn many multisession cd and my CD32 reading all without error.
thanks DamienD, i have tested with this ISO and with another one.

Last edited by thairacerjp; 12 April 2019 at 22:30.
Old 11 April 2019, 20:38   #8
xubidoo

ok , ive downloaded and tried the game, thanks to DamienD

and i can confirm i have almost the same problem, it doesn't crash the system , but it just sticks on the loading screen,the readme mentioned holding down the left mouse button while loading to skip the intro, but i tried it a few times and it didn't seem to do anything.

it does mentioned it needs a faster CD-Rom drive,but it should work on slower drives but the intro will be jerky etc.
So i'm inclined to think that possibly the CD32's drive is simply to slow to start the game.
installing to HD simply lets u save settings etc to the hard drive,not possible if just playing from disk, but even with the game installed,the game still requires the cd to be in the drive,and im assuming it loads the intro from the cd,hence the problem.

wouldve liked to have played it ,but never mind, cant have everything i suppose lol.

my cd32 has been recapped and has had a new laser btw,plays all other cd's just fine,so it must be either the drive being to slow,or maybe incompatible with the tf330,or the game is just fudged lol

Old 11 April 2019, 21:26   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
wouldve liked to have played it ,but never mind, cant have everything i suppose lol.
I know this doesn't help; but the game runs fine from WinUAE.
Old 11 April 2019, 21:31   #10
thairacerjp

Yes, i said at the top of the thread that with winuae, it Works , same "xubidoo" , may be like they said, it need 16X CD ROM , but even it should be more long to load but not stop ? the game have protection CD, so it always ask for CD...... the demo works for HDD for have a idea, so pity, such great 3D rendering AGA ! OR if it's a AMIGA CD game, the cd driver not support this title, but Napalm working great with the CD, it's a AMIGA CD game also !
Old 11 April 2019, 21:51   #11
xubidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I know this doesn't help; but the game runs fine from WinUAE.

o god no , hate playing Amiga on the PC ,doesn't feel right , id much rather play on the actual machine.

i only use Winuae for transferring files over to my cf card.

Thanks for the above link,btw, ive downloaded a load of games that wouldn't run before and needed updating , Aladdin,Archer Mcleans pool,Odyssey,James Pond 2 AGA, Jag 220 , for some reason most of my games seem to be pretty ancient that came on the CF , no doubt ill find plenty more, least there's a chance now i can find an updated version.

Old 14 April 2019, 11:00   #12
killego

I have no problem running this game on tf330. I simply downloaded the whd-load version, however the game won't run using main icons (i.e. the 4MB and the 32MB icons). It runs from icons stored in the data drawer called vgp_high or vgp_arcade_high (high resolution version) and It Is also very playable. Note: I also have the original game on cd but I didn't try it.
Old 14 April 2019, 14:40   #13
xubidoo

whd-load version ? where did you find that killego?

altho i will try what you said about the icons with the hd install and the CD,to see if that works.

fingers crossed

Old 14 April 2019, 15:56   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
whd-load version ? where did you find that killego?
He's probably talking about one of Aladin's "generic" WHDLoad slaves: /~Uploads/Aladin/WHDLOAD generic/VirtualGPAGA-WHDL.lha
Old 14 April 2019, 17:23   #15
xubidoo

thanks, will check it out

Old 14 April 2019, 17:50   #16
killego

I have this HD version copied in a CD-Rom. The intro starts without video, but the game starts just clicking the mouse button. I don't know It is helpful for you, however I think your problem Is not related to the CD-Rom trying reading the intro. I don't remember where I downloaded this version, maybe in the eab FTP database.
Old 14 April 2019, 18:18   #17
thairacerjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
He's probably talking about one of Aladin's "generic" WHDLoad slaves: /~Uploads/Aladin/WHDLOAD generic/VirtualGPAGA-WHDL.lha
Great, i will try ! you made my Day !

Last edited by thairacerjp; 14 April 2019 at 18:31.
Old 14 April 2019, 19:50   #18
xubidoo

works for me, as long as i run the file from the data draw its also the updated 1.0d version.

altho getting my cd32 pad to work is another matter haha , i change to joystick, and when i push forward to accelerate, i start flying backwards , and i cant control it with the mouse at all
but ill work it out , thanks DamienD

Old 14 April 2019, 20:50   #19
thairacerjp

Quote:
works for me, as long as i run the file from the data draw its also the updated 1.0d version.

altho getting my cd32 pad to work is another matter haha , i change to joystick, and when i push forward to accelerate, i start flying backwards , and i cant control it with the mouse at all
but ill work it out , thanks DamienD
Press page up on keyboard (keyboard pc on cd32)
And up joypad goes forwad, now the problem is to have
Forwad with buttton (like in the demo) .and the
Cockpit turning is annoying.
Old 14 April 2019, 21:00   #20
killego

Press F2 to stop the virtual cockpit