English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 March 2019, 17:23   #1
Overmann

I need help setting up my printer

I recently bought a new printer as my dotmatrix (Star LC24 200 color) is failing. The new one is an OKI Microline 280 Elite. It is able to emulate Epson FX printers so I thought it would be no problem getting it to work on my Amiga, however I'm having little luck.

I have 3.1.4 with BestWB installed on my A1200, and it has EpsonX drivers but when I try to print using them the printer just sits there. I have Turboprint 5 lite with Epson FX-drivers but it won't print. The printer works fine with parallel on windows 95.
With EpsonFX-drivers in TurboPrint 5 lite the printer will actually do all the things its supposed to do while printing except move the print head and hammer the paper with needles. The paper moves jittery through the spool just like as if it was printing.

TurboPrint has the EpsonX-driver set to color. If I set it to B&W and try to print the printer just sits there again, doing nothing, as with EpsonX workbench driver.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've not really used a printer with my Amiga since I was a kid but I was hoping that this setup would work fine. I'm sure I'm just doing something stupid and wrong.
Old 19 March 2019, 17:45   #2
idrougge

Seems like IBM is the default emulation of your Oki. Check out the manual for how to enter the menu and set Epson emulation, or use the IBM Proprinter driver instead: https://www.oki.com/printing/downloa...?id=45692102EE
Old 19 March 2019, 18:42   #3
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Seems like IBM is the default emulation of your Oki. Check out the manual for how to enter the menu and set Epson emulation, or use the IBM Proprinter driver instead: https://www.oki.com/printing/downloa...?id=45692102EE
Thank you for the reply. I did this and THINK I have managed to set it to Epson emulation correctly, but I will try IBM proprint when I get home.
Old 20 March 2019, 09:51   #4
Overmann

I had to uninstall Turboprint 5 lite, then I had to actually STORE the Epson-settings on the printer. None of the documentation said anything about storing the settings but I found something in a F.A.Q on a similar OKI-printer and it said to store the setting before restarting the printer by pressing PITCH and MODE together. The OKI microline 280 Elite is actually working perfectly now with EpsonX driver. Getting fonts and graphics from the Amiga.

I think I can safely recommend this one if anyone wants a new dotmatrix for use with Amiga/DOS/Win3.1/Win95/Linux
Documentation is TERRIBLE but the printer is really nice and quite affordable for a new printer.