English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 March 2019, 07:38   #1
slaapliedje

Sum A234/CD32 vs Spider / Poseidon USB

I kind of went on a quest to find the 'perfect' keyboard for my Amiga 4000. I have a Spider card, but for some reason when I first tested it, it seemed the keyboard wasn't working (found out why later, basically it doesn't work on the Sum either, I think required voltages are too low.)
So for starters, the Roccat Ryos MK Pro does not work (it has a USB hub built in, so I am only guessing some voltage issues, but a Mac keyboard I tested (the Matthias Quiet Touch) worked fine, and it has a USB hub in it. It worked with both the Sum and the Spider.
I also have a Roccat Ryos MK FX (the full RGB one) and that one works fine through both of the methonds. From what I can see the only difference here is the built in hub is missing and the FX has full RGB lighting vs just Blue.
iKBC CD108 and CD108BT also don't work on either interface. Shame because while these are generic Cherry MX keyboards, they'd be perfect for use on the Amiga, small and full key set.
I have an Adesso Tru-Form Media keyboard that works great with either interface as well.
The Azio Retro keyboard sadly does not work with either as well. This was also one of the initial ones I tested on the Spider, and got nothing through it.

Anyone else test keyboards and see which ones work well?

I saw that kipper2k is eventually going to release some mechanical keyboard replacements for the A4k like he is doing for the wedge systems, so I will probably just end up waiting for that. But would like something to type on in the mean time. My 'F' key is kind of wonky, and I still need to de-yellow half my keyboard, but man I miss having a mechanical one when I type on the Amiga.