English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 February 2019, 11:36   #1
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Some of the Amiga’s most memorable death/game over animation sequences

In honour of all the incompetent gamers around the globe I present…

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 February 2019, 14:53   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks @dreamkatcha.
There are a few games that I did not recognised. I know it's an added task but, on your next video, would you mind considering adding the game's name overprinted for a few seconds ?
Old 15 February 2019, 14:58   #3
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

This reminds me of a very old thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=11207&
Old 15 February 2019, 15:45   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

malko - Yep, I can see how that would have helped - I did start doing this as I’ve done in the past. The plan was to create a strip of black space underneath the video and put the text there, but it was taking forever to get the cropping consistent between clips and looked a bit silly when the game name was one very short word. Writing it vertically in the unused widescreen area looked daft too, and was hard to read. Then I tried overlaying it instead and thought that looked messy and distracting. I suspect I was overthinking it.

Dastardly – 16 years later, but I got there in the end! I did come across your thread half way into researching this, thanks very much. Some of the more obvious ones I’d already thought of and captured, others would never have occurred to me in a million years (especially the unreleased demos). In retrospect I should have added some text by way of a credit to whoever suggested them in the first place, sorry. Actually I could do that in the description when I add the timestamps.

Some I decided not to bother trying to cover since I’d have to play the entire game for a few seconds worth of video, and in those cases the footage is usually already on YouTube. Like with games such as Space Ace and the Sierra adventures where other people have already recorded full playthroughs and edited them down to the key clips. I would have liked to have included the one where Guybrush stays underwater for ten minutes and drowns, but the same thing applies there.

There’s plenty of discussion of this kind of thing online, but unfortunately most of it relates to modern gaming and you really have to drill down to find the one Amiga example among them per thread. With some I suspect people are getting the arcade version mixed up with the Amiga one because I can’t recall there being anything special about the way those games end when you kick the bucket. Golden Axe and Final Fight for example.
Old 15 February 2019, 18:35   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

cool video. There were a lot there that I didn’t know, but they were fun to watch.

I didn’t know about Guybrush being able to die in Monkey Island. I might have to try that if I play it through again.
Old 16 February 2019, 08:48   #6
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Thanks. Time-stamped game titles are now in place in the video description for any you're not familiar with if you're curious.

Yep, I'm fairly sure it's the one place you can die in Monkey Island and then you have to be really, really determined to kill Guybrush. There are a few videos of it on YouTube...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 16 February 2019, 10:23   #7
Foebane
Banned

Did you leave the best 'til last? I always loved the death sequence in Beast 2, with that guitar riff and the excellent subtle atmospheric shading in the background of the pic. Gold!
Old 16 February 2019, 13:12   #8
Cherno

Not a real end game sequence, but I alwys found the death animation of the character sprite from Horror Zombies From The Crypt to be really impressive
Old 16 February 2019, 22:10   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Foebane - Yep, I wanted to go out on a high and thought that would fit the bill. It's amazing something so simple is this effective.

I actually had to reconstruct that because I couldn't capture it without the screen flickering at the bottom. It was like flashes of lightning showing through the gaps in foliage. I couldn't work out what was causing it so in the end I kept the music and replaced the video with the same static image. It looks/sounds identical to the real thing.

Cherno - The death animation from Horror Zombies is included in the video. It's brilliant, definitely agree there. It reminds me of the movie Wedlock.
Old 16 February 2019, 23:23   #10
ExiE

There is missing one of the best ...
Abandoned Places 2 great guitar riff
Old 20 February 2019, 16:46   #11
touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
There is missing one of the best ...
Abandoned Places 2 great guitar riff
I agree :
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 February 2019, 00:19   #12
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Yeah, definitely worth dying for! That really grabs you by the ears and makes you pay attention.

HOL says it's by Tim Bartlett.