English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 March 2018, 09:10   #1
CaptainPlanet

MessyDisk and transferring pc->Amiga

Hi there!

I've recently bought a second hand A1200, like I had waaay back in the day.

I still have my old disk collection but not a lot of games seem to be working.

I have managed to find a disk with MessyDisk on it and have also managed to format disks using messyfmt, so they are 720K PC Disks. With me so far?

I am trying to transfer kickrom and the 1.3 Kickstart in order to try and get some older (non-a1200) disks working.

However, I have a problem: My Amiga disk drive doesn't seem to read most stuff I copy to the PC disks. I have tried multiple times, multiple disks. Small files seem to read/write okay but the kickstart rom just keeps failing.

It is not the disks, as I fully verify on the PC by copying the file back off the floppy onto the PC hard drive.

So, is my amiga floppy drive shafted?
Is it worth cleaning?
I also have an A500 (black screen of death), can I swap the A500 floppy into the A1200?

Thanks!
Old 30 March 2018, 12:49   #2
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet View Post
I also have an A500 (black screen of death), can I swap the A500 floppy into the A1200?
The drives are compatible but the eject button is in a different place so you will not be able to close the case again.
Old 30 March 2018, 13:08   #3
CaptainPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
The drives are compatible but the eject button is in a different place so you will not be able to close the case again.

I tried swapping them over. Tried copying the rom file from the pc disk, same read/write error. I guess my disks are screwed, I don't know but it's all very frustrating.

I remember doing this quite successfully years ago when I first moved to pc's and it was quite easy...maybe that was just the other direction though?
Old 30 March 2018, 13:35   #4
nogginthenog
Amigan

Are you using high density disks? If so, try covering the HD hole with some tape. You could try formatting the disk on the PC too.

You might want to look into one of those Gotek USB floppy emulators.
Old 10 April 2018, 22:02   #5
CaptainPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Are you using high density disks? If so, try covering the HD hole with some tape. You could try formatting the disk on the PC too.
Tried formatting on PC as well. Nothing. Oh well, I've given up on that and moved onto trying to transfer using a serial cable. To no avail either!