English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 March 2003, 13:29   #1
Amigaboy

WinUAE Speeds?

After testing the latest WinUAE release (0.8.22 Release 5), my brother and I have come to the conclusion that it definately is the greatest release so far.

But, my brother brought to my attention a speed issue
He says that with Fuzzball (System 3), the game runs slower than it should. In 0.88r8, the game worked at full speed without problems.
I believe I've seen this happen on his machine with a couple of other games too.

We've tried all of the usual WinUAE trickery before anyone suggests something like that

All I want to know is, can WinUAE be optimised in any way to have games like this run at full speed? or is it already optimised as much as possible?

My brother's machine is a Celeron 466 with a Voodoo 3 (I think)

btw - This speed issue isn't a big thing. He can always switch back to 0.88r8 whenever he finds a game that runs slow

Old 01 March 2003, 14:01   #2
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Eek Erm.....

Amigaboy, I don't think a Celeron 466 will do this latest release of WinUAE justice. My AMD Athlon 600 struggles with quite a few games to get the full 50FPS so I wouldn't hold out much hope for your bro's machine. The Putty Squad Demo and the 3D Doom type games (Breathless, Alien Breed 3D) seem to run the slowest on my PC. The reason the latest WinUAE is so damn good is because it emulates so much of the Amiga's hardware almost nigh-on perfect. This perfection however does come at a price and that price is speed. To really get the most out of the latest releases you definitely need to have a nice fast processor. We're talking 1Ghz plus here. There is only so much you can fiddle with in the WinUAE settings but when it comes down to it the only solution is to get a faster computer.

Tell your brother to try WinUAE v0.8.17r3. This version runs at perfect speed on my machine but with half the features of the latest release.
Old 01 March 2003, 14:07   #3
Amigaboy

I realise that the latest WinUAE is doing alot more compared to previous releases (hence the slowdown), but if there's an opportunity of having faster emulation, wouldn't it be a wise idea to cease it?

I have a 1.3ghz machine, so I'm not complaining (nor is my bro), but it's something that we thought should be brought up, just in case something could be done about it.

v0.8.17r3? ewwww. Icky!

0.88r8
0.814r3
0.822rX

These are THE releases. Awesome in every way (although the middle one is the least used around here....ie. VERY rarely)

Old 01 March 2003, 22:53   #4
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

A while back someone suggested creating a cut down lite version which would run better on slower computers. Did Toni ever pass an opinion on that? I'd use it even though my computer runs the current one without problems - I don't need any of the fancy stuff because I only ever play games which were designed for the A500/A600. The others just don't appeal.
Old 01 March 2003, 22:56   #5
MethodGit

This seems saddening to hear. I guess my AMD Duron 650 just can't cut the mustard either. Are the new AMD Athlon XP CPUs any good? Which is the latest one out?
Old 01 March 2003, 23:11   #6
oldpx

Barton 3000. It didn't arrive here yet I don't know if it's available elsewhere.

Old 18 August 2003, 11:00   #7
spiff
Oh noes!

I got a 1.6 Ghz XP, and its damn sweet for uae...It's been a while since I checked up on hardware, but...
Last time I checked the p4s around 2.4 Ghz with intel chipsets where prol a better buy, got a bit less problems with agp and drivers compared to AMDs.

With some luck the revised p4 with "hyperthreading" and a bit faster buss speed can be gotten for around 200? (e)

Last edited by spiff; 18 August 2003 at 11:06.