English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 28 March 2016, 20:12   #1
Cherno

Shadow of the Beast 2 - What could be improved?

Similar to the first Beast game, SOTB2 had pretty graphics and music but disappointing gameplay, featuring even more dead ends and unfair situations than the first one. It's also very short, a player who knows what he or she is doing (the lack of directions is another problem) can finish the game in under 30 minutes.

Of course, a lot of people still have fond memory of exploring the mysterious world of Karamoon, with some expressing their desire to see a remake of the game.

What do you think could be improved?
Bear in mind that with today's technology, almost nothing is impossible when it comes to assets or gameplay features, so you can happily ignore the Amiga's limits.

Here are some of my thoughts
  • More weapons. I've heard that a sword was in an early version of the game, and the attack animation would support all kinds of melee and ranged weapons. One thing that would be really fitting would be a spear like the ony the goblins carry. It could be used for hand-to-hand combat or thrown. Each weapon could also benefit from multiple attack styles, like the chain ball that can be whirled around the character in a circle.
  • More areas to explore! Surely Karamoon consists of many islands, swmaps, woods and caves. A longer story would support the need to expore more of the world. Outposts like the Karamoon Oasis could have an actual function and have NPCs like traders and trainers. Maybe even a small village?
  • A better dialogue system, that doesn't rely on a parser. Have some interesting conversations with NPCs, choose your answers carefully and see the consequences of your actions.
  • Some side-quests to do, breaking up the regular gameplay with fun mini-games.
  • Checkpoints or savepoints!
  • Elimination of ALL dead ends. If the player pulls the wrong lever and falls into the acid pit, he loses energy, but at least put a ladder nearby so he can climb out and try again.
  • Some way to upgrade your character, giving him a larger health pool.

Thanks for reading. Here is a giant snail, watching you warily.

Last edited by Cherno; 28 March 2016 at 20:22.
Old 28 March 2016, 20:15   #2
Amigajay

I never really liked the graphical style of the two sequels, much prefering the original, i guess the sequels offered a better engine at the expense of these effects, so to me having Beast 2 with AGA graphics in line with the first Beast would be sweet.
Old 28 March 2016, 20:22   #3
Cherno

Personally, I liked the graphic style of Beast 2 the most, it got rid of the lazy monster designs of the original (Psygnosis logos for enemies ) and was darker and moodier. To each his own Part III might have the all around best graphics, but I don't think the Indiana Jones expy with his airplane fits into the series at all.
Old 28 March 2016, 20:23   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

- coins should stay on screen until collected
- dead ends may stay but some NPC should give some small hints about danger
- maybe passwords as save points like in Blackthorne game
Old 28 March 2016, 20:44   #5
nobody

Transform to metroidvania. Gain new abilities, example find a magic ring and jump higher and access areas not possible before. Give some weapons with limited shots. Adjust enemies to be more fair. Make some rest point that you regain energy in castlevania style.

PS change hero sprite to something like soul reaver hero.

Old 28 March 2016, 21:10   #6
Cherno

Yes, bringing out the Metroidvania elements a lot more would be ace. The game has a good base for that kind of gameplay but doesn't completely follow through on it. For example, the horn that can be found on the snail island calls a friendly ferry dragon (or dragon ferry?) at the end of the game. It could also be used in other areas where the character was previously blocked by water.

I an understand that some people don't like the caveman character sprite that much, but I look at it with nostalgic eyes and for me, there is no other Aarbron in this game but the neanderthal we got on the Amiga. I don't like the more colorful and human one from the FM Towns and Sega versions.

The 2D Soul Reaver looks pretty good, though.
Old 28 March 2016, 21:22   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, I can't stand FM Towns and Sega CD hero version.
Old 28 March 2016, 21:44   #8
Gzegzolka

It all depends how much can be changed. I would love to see some kind of simple dialog system that give You options to choose, not typing.
Old 28 March 2016, 21:50   #9
Cherno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
It all depends how much can be changed. I would love to see some kind of simple dialog system that give You options to choose, not typing.
Everything can be changed, including game logic, enemy behaviour, items, and of course new sprites and tiles or modifying existing ones.

I'd also like to see some of the local wildlife of Karamoon. Super Metroid had that Ostrich alien with it's young as well as some bat-like creatures that fluttered away when approached (in the space station in the beginning). None of them could hurt the player but they made the wold more realistic. Maybe not all pygmies/goblins are Maletoth's slaves, maybe the Great Eastern Sea is indeed full of strange beasts as Barloom tell us (aside from the aforementioned ferry dragon).

Last edited by Cherno; 28 March 2016 at 21:56.
Old 28 March 2016, 23:44   #10
capehorn

Funnily enough, I found myself wondering this morning about whether if SotB1 had 24 hit points instead of 12 and SotB2's health drained at half the speed when you were being attacked (i.e. both effectively gave you twice as much health) whether they both would have been better thought of as games.
Old 29 March 2016, 00:45   #11
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehorn View Post
Funnily enough, I found myself wondering this morning about whether if SotB1 had 24 hit points instead of 12
Or if there were more potions around..
I always got frustrated when I'd get really low on health and there were no potions to be found..
Yes, a higher starting health would help that, but more potions would too, and make me feel better as I would have found more potions! ;-)

desiv
Old 29 March 2016, 00:50   #12
Cherno

Instead of potions that can be carried and used between battles, some enemies could drop health orbs or whatever that gave a small amount of health back.
Old 29 March 2016, 00:53   #13
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

the most important thing that i would change is to eliminate all dead end situations so to be able to finish the game anyway - that and a save system - and finally reimplement the unused long title tune with guitar!
[ Show youtube player ]