English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 December 2015, 15:36   #1
Hiddenevil

YAM and GMAIL

Hey everyone

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with retrieving email using YAM. Suddenly I'm getting a "Couldn't initialise TLSv1 / SSL error and I couldnt seem to fix it.
Old 10 December 2015, 16:38   #2
Daedalus

What version of YAM is it? SSL is out of date in Amigaland, so applications need to be statically linked against newer versions of OpenSSL in order to work with most modern secure connections. I don't know for sure, but I think there was a recent nightly build of YAM on Sourceforge that included this workaround. Could be wrong though...
Old 13 December 2015, 19:38   #3
Hiddenevil

Thanks for that, I might have a look at the nightly build and see if it works any better. Right now, I'm looking the will to live. I've manage to get yam to recieve my hotmail, but i can't get it to send anything. Worst of all, the damn program pulled the email right down off the server, so all my mail for the past month is on the AmigaOne. Not what I wanted at all, really cheesed off.
Old 14 December 2015, 10:22   #4
Daedalus

Yeah, that's one of the downsides of using a POP3 mailer unfortunately - you have to set an option not to delete the mail if you want it left on the server.

Sending mail is probably a matter of using your ISP's SMTP server rather than Hotmail's, though it could also be an SSL issue. In fact, I'm surprised it works with Hotmail at all - last time I asked Microsoft for the Hotmail details to use with YAM, they gave me a link to download Outlook Express... I guess they've added POP3 support since then.
Old 14 December 2015, 10:33   #5
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Even better, you should use IMAP if YAM supports it. IMAP keeps all the emails on the server.
Old 14 December 2015, 11:29   #6
Locutus

YAM doesn't support IMAP though.
Old 14 December 2015, 12:07   #7
Daedalus

Yep, YAM is POP3 only. SimpleMail supports IMAP and appears to work with GMail, but it's never been reliable enough for me to use.
Old 14 December 2015, 12:52   #8
Sandro
Banned

simplemail worked with gmail in the past, and was/is the best mail program for the amiga
but now says "unable to connect to server pop.gmail.com
surely this is fixable chaning server name but I don't care
Old 14 December 2015, 14:06   #9
Daedalus

Well, it sounds like you need a particular version that includes the workaround for the outdated SSL. Same problem as YAM. The server names haven't changed so it's either your internet connection or the encryption. POP3 works fine with SimpleMail, the problem I have is using IMAP, where it crashes with large mailboxes.
Old 14 December 2015, 18:27   #10
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Well, it sounds like you need a particular version that includes the workaround for the outdated SSL. Same problem as YAM. The server names haven't changed so it's either your internet connection or the encryption. POP3 works fine with SimpleMail, the problem I have is using IMAP, where it crashes with large mailboxes.
have you tried different settings in simplemail? it is working there with GMAIL ?
Old 15 December 2015, 10:11   #11
Daedalus

I'm not sure what settings you mean? I use the correct connection settings and login details and it connects fine, but crashes while trying to synchronise large mailboxes. POP3 works fine with the correct settings, but it's very outdated and limited so I would much prefer to use IMAP.