English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 18 December 2002, 16:30   #1
Amiga1992

Amiga FDD emulator

Didn't know where to put this... What the hell...

This is a request for an app that does not exist

I was wondering if, by using WinUAE's floppy drive emulation, it would be possible to build a program like 64HDD... I know WinUAE's FDD emulation is not perfect but it's the best one out there, and this tool is pretty damn useful!

If the emulation could be used what's needed is an interface between teh Amiga and the PC, let's say, a cable that goees from teh floppy conenctor to teh PC's parallel port...

Is this a crazy idea? Would it be possible? It'd be most interesting!
Old 18 December 2002, 17:00   #2
fiath

Actually something like this (hardware) is already planned - see our wanted page.

It will be DIY hardware that can be built to re-master copy protected floppy disks. So as we were going to that length, we decided we want to make it read disks too - this will allow people without an Amiga to dump their disks for CAPS.

I am sure when we are finished somebody will add support to UAE if all goes well....
Old 18 December 2002, 17:07   #3
BippyM
Global Moderator

And how long will that be?

Surely the Catweasel 3 does something similar? No?
Old 18 December 2002, 17:38   #4
fiath

Long time. We have only just started spec'ing it. So who knows... But it *will* get done sooner or later. I wouldn't say it if that was not the case.

Of course your right though, you could just go buy a CW, I think Toni intends to add support for this anyway right?
Old 18 December 2002, 18:24   #5
Amiga1992

What I'm "looking for" is an interface that would allow my Amiga that has no disk drive to "read floppies" from the PC... Just the way 64HDD works... Cable goes on PC's parallel port, other end conencts to the Amiga's internal FDD controller (or the external FDD connetor), Amiga reads through it like if it had a disk drive. Diskdrive sound simulation could be implemented to a good use here

Disk flipping and that kind of stuff would be handled from within the PC program interface. ADFs, DMSs and CAPS format could all be supported! No more disk transferring.

Heck, it might be simpler than 64HDD, the Commodore serial bus disk drives are computers on their own and have processors, memory, etc!

I wish I could do it myself but my knowledge about all this techy stuff is pish poor
Old 18 December 2002, 23:48   #6
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Sounds like an awfully expensive external floppy drive that can't read amiga format disks to me

just buy an external drive...

Of course I might be missing the point here as I have no idea what 64HDD is...
Old 19 December 2002, 01:16   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

You are he wants to treat ADF's etc like a proper floppy, so can transfer them to Amiga using PC parrallel to Amiga FDD!!
Old 19 December 2002, 01:52   #8
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
What I'm "looking for" is an interface that would allow my Amiga that has no disk drive to "read floppies" from the PC... Just the way 64HDD works... Cable goes on PC's parallel port, other end conencts to the Amiga's internal FDD controller (or the external FDD connetor), Amiga reads through it like if it had a disk drive. Diskdrive sound simulation could be implemented to a good use here

Disk flipping and that kind of stuff would be handled from within the PC program interface. ADFs, DMSs and CAPS format could all be supported! No more disk transferring.

Heck, it might be simpler than 64HDD, the Commodore serial bus disk drives are computers on their own and have processors, memory, etc!

I wish I could do it myself but my knowledge about all this techy stuff is pish poor

I think I know exactly what you mean akira .. I don't know if your recall me posting about creating a floppy drive for an amiga that is just a bunch of ram chips. Therefore its really a ram drive rather than a floppy drive, but in its physical state. No need for whdload/jst and more ram for running classical games. Just copy them from adf files to your "ram" floppy and run them.

It would be great to hear from people that are thinking about doing (or have hints on) what either akira or myself are suggesting!!

cheers.
Old 19 December 2002, 02:19   #9
Amiga1992

Bipps and severin, you didn't understand squat Click on the bloody link to 64HDD to get a clue of what I mean. 64HDD is a BRILLIANT tool I use everytime I start up my C64s. (Bippy was closer, but still, the idea is NOT needing an Amiga FDD mate)

Miggy, your idea I remember, but it's much more complicated. Mine is simpler and, IMO, "doable". If I had half a skill of programming (I do have a bit of it, but not enough I say), and half a skill on technical knowledge of the Amiga and PC, I would do this myself. The Amiga tech part might not be needed either (except for a pinout of the internal or external floppy disk drive connectors). All work would be done on the PC, the Amiga shouldn't notice a difference between having a REAL diskdrive attached or a PC attached to it... This is how it works on the 64 with 64HDD

If you go to 64HDD's site you might understand clearly what this all is about. If you can try the program, better yet. I fell in love with it from the very first moment I used it with my PC and SX64!
Old 19 December 2002, 04:01   #10
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:

.... [snip]

Miggy, your idea I remember, but it's much more complicated. Mine is simpler and, IMO, "doable". If I had half a skill of programming (I do have a bit of it, but not enough I say), and half a skill on technical knowledge of the Amiga and PC, I would do this myself. The Amiga tech part might not be needed either (except for a pinout of the internal or external floppy disk drive connectors). All work would be done on the PC, the Amiga shouldn't notice a difference between having a REAL diskdrive attached or a PC attached to it... This is how it works on the 64 with 64HDD

[snip] ...

I know, my idea is more complicated, but has the same philosophy behind it. Anyway, I have heard of 64HDD and its an awsome development, I hope we do find an amigaHDD equivalent somewhere out there, I'd seriously be drooling in total excitment!! The possibilities would be incredible. Please keep us posted if anyone does find anything! Cheers.

I'm going to look at the specs of the 64HDD, but I think it might be more complicated for the amiga as the amiga floppy drive has more pins than the 64 floppy drives.

edit: just looked briefly and there seems to be no source code provided. I wish there was also developers notes, possible SDK and stuff like that, so I could have a read and see how hard it would be to develop

Last edited by Miggy2TheMax; 19 December 2002 at 04:19.
Old 19 December 2002, 10:19   #11
fiath

Quote:

Sorry, I misunderstood also.

Neat idea!

But, I think it would be rather complicated. I don't think you could use the UAE FDD emulation because you would not be emulating the floppy disk CONTROLLER (that is on the Amiga motherboard) you would be "simulating" the physical disk drive itself. i.e. You would need to "vitually" move the stepper motor around the disk image.

You would be using the Amiga's FDC already...

If you didn't get the timing right, you would wouldn't get much working. I don't think something like the parallel port would be fast enough anyway (but I could be wrong).

Is anybody did anything like this for the Amiga, I think it would be one huge technical feat.
Old 19 December 2002, 14:02   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
But, I think it would be rather complicated. I don't think you could use the UAE FDD emulation because you would not be emulating the floppy disk CONTROLLER (that is on the Amiga motherboard)
Ahhh, I get that.. Yep, the Amiga controller would be in use...

Quote:
you would be "simulating" the physical disk drive itself. i.e. You would need to "vitually" move the stepper motor around the disk image.
And wouldn't this make it easier? I dunno, as I said I know pish all about this :P

In any case, would be lovely to have such a thing developed.
Old 19 December 2002, 15:13   #13
fiath

Yes, good point, it would save emulating the FDC, but I think it is really a different problem.

If you had to emulate the FDC, you could "shortcut" the commands to get a track.

Okay, so very simply...

Normal operation (real FDC, real drive):

1) Program says gimme track 23
2) FDC says, sure hangon, drive: move to the position and read until I find the required index pulse (end of track)
3) Drive moves the motor and returns the data

Emulation of both (shortcut):

2) Emulated FDC gets track 23 from the image keeping the timing into account

Emulated floppy (our case, real FDC, emu drive):

2) FDC says, sure hangon, drive: move to the position and read until I find the required index pulse (end of track)
-- Sent over wires to PC--
3) Calculate from what the FDC is trying to do with the stepper motor back into what track is needed & send that back in the form the FDC expects.

With the last you have more mechanical simulation problem rather than in the first situation where you have an emulation one.

Who knows, it may be far simpler than I imagine. But I wouldn't like to try it myself...
Old 19 December 2002, 16:07   #14
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Let me get this straight, you want to access adf files from your pc as amiga floppies?

if so, all you need is some pc<>amiga parnet software (eg, NetworkPC) and a program like
HFMounter or my VF2000 to actually mount the images...

HFMounter allows upto 12 virtual floppies to be mounted and my VF2000 upto 32...

They will not work with non-dos disks but for them just use rad: and reboot to run them...

If you want to try VF2000, pm/email me for the latest version (the one on aminet doesn't supprt adf's directly).

best to grab the aminet version anyway, then I can just send you the updated exe
Old 19 December 2002, 18:50   #15
Amiga1992

NO, that's not the idea Severin. Please check teh 64HDD site and read our posts one more time

fiath: I see, it indeed seems to be more complicated than what I thought!

Oh well, it was a nice idea, innit
Old 21 December 2002, 08:55   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Nice idea. Not too hard to implement, we only need fast (DD floppy bit rate is about 500 000 bits/second!) hardware parallel to serial converter and connect couple of control signals directly (side select, step, track0 etc..)

It might be possible to use PC's serial port as a parallel to serial converter but I am not sure if it supports high enough bit rates and if it is possible to disable stop-bits.

But I am sure someone else has already designed simple and fast hardware that can be used in this project. Expect new information "soon"...
Old 21 December 2002, 18:33   #17
Amiga1992

w00t

I said parallel just because I have no clue. It could be USB. Hell, it could be Ethernet (or Firewire )
Old 21 December 2002, 21:07   #18
RetroMan

Hey it works for other Computers, so why not for Amiga I just built a SIO2PC Interface for my old ATARI 600XL which only contains one chip (1489IC) to translate TTL > RS232 ..... You then connect the Interface with COM Port on PC and use APE (Atari Peripheral Emulator) to emulate the Floppy Drives/Tape Drives/Modems Shouldn´t this also be possible for Amiga ?

The hardest Part would be the Software on PeCe side I think .... There is a little Hardware Hack to Boot from external Floppy drive, so why not use the External Floppy Port and a little PCB to act like a external Floppy and give the commands to PC Serial Port ??? Should be possible, I´ll have a deeper look into this for sure
Old 21 December 2002, 22:14   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am not familiar with Atari and SIO-bus but on Amiga the only way to "hook" to the floppy drive is floppy connector because floppy data bit stream from floppy drive goes directly to Paula and control signals go to CIA-chips.

Atari probably used some standard components for floppy controller but as we all know Amiga uses custom chips heavily..

Software is the easiest part. Most of the code can be ripped from UAE. Hardware isn't so easy. Small and cheap microcontroller with build-in UART connected to serial port may be the best solution.
Old 22 December 2002, 02:38   #20
adolescent