English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 06 November 2014, 21:56   #1
TenLeftFingers

Evil grin Super skidmarks is super fast!

I've seen videos on YouTube but for some reason Super Skidmarks CD32 is insanely difficult for me. My car accellerates like a rocket and bounces off anything it touches like a rubber bullet..

i've tried emulating different machines (older ones to slow the game down, newer ones to slow my PC down) and the results don't really get it right. Any ideas?
Old 06 November 2014, 22:02   #2
TenLeftFingers

For reference, this is what I see as normal (and what I remember as a kid): [ Show youtube player ]

And this is more like what I'm getting, regardless of the vehicle I drive (go to 1:00): [ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 November 2014, 02:59   #3
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

No idea. But if it was running on actual amiga hardware, i would say that it was being sped up by an accelerator. F1 by domark ran like lightning on my 030 a1200 back in the day. It was unplayable without the accelerator disabled.
Old 07 November 2014, 07:25   #4
jPV

What kind of race are you selecting? IIRC if you start Match Race, then all cars go equally fast and there's speed setting in car selection window. Something like from pedal cars to grunty, zippy, slippery etc. I could guess you have this setting to too fast cars.

But if you select Championship Race, then speed depends of the car class you select. Formulas go super fast while Minis or Porsche are good for normal drivers.

But anyway, Super Skidmarks has more options for those super fast races than original Skidmarks had... but you should get those slower ones too if you pay attention what you select, and accelerator shouldn't affect.
Old 07 November 2014, 09:59   #5
TenLeftFingers

I picked a Championship and then a Mini race. That was all. I'm using FS-UAE and am using the CD32 model to emulate. The mini race is very unplayable because the car goes _way_ too fast and my car skids all over the place on corners (slamming into the wall every time) while the other cars have excellent grip and corner much better than me. I come last every time (and I'm usually very good at racing games!). I swear I'm not making this up!

Emulating an A4000 with full accuracy did slow things down a bit but it still felt odd - the behaviour was the same (other cars have grip and my car is on 'ice') just more slow and jerky

Adrian / jPV have you played it on FS-UAE or are you using original hardware?
Old 07 November 2014, 13:42   #6
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Its been years since i played skidmarks, frankly. Good game. I had winuae running on my laptop until the hardrive died. gonna get me a cf game card and accelerator for my a1200 in 2 weeks.
Old 07 November 2014, 14:00   #7
TenLeftFingers

Good for you Adrian Browne. I hope to get an A1200 next year and do the same thing.
Old 07 November 2014, 18:45   #8
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
I picked a Championship and then a Mini race. That was all. I'm using FS-UAE and am using the CD32 model to emulate. The mini race is very unplayable because the car goes _way_ too fast and my car skids all over the place on corners (slamming into the wall every time) while the other cars have excellent grip and corner much better than me. I come last every time (and I'm usually very good at racing games!). I swear I'm not making this up!

Emulating an A4000 with full accuracy did slow things down a bit but it still felt odd - the behaviour was the same (other cars have grip and my car is on 'ice') just more slow and jerky

Adrian / jPV have you played it on FS-UAE or are you using original hardware?
Hmm.. I had a quick try it now and Mini race is indeed quite fast. It's playable if you're good, but otherwise you'll be going to walls. I also tried Porsche race and that was much slower, perhaps you should try that? Porsches are closer to original Skidmarks feeling.

I think it's like it should be.. Minis just are fast

I haven't tried it on emulators ever, always on real machines. Mainly on A1200/030@50.
Old 08 November 2014, 00:47   #9
TenLeftFingers

Thanks jPV - it's helpful that you're trying it on actual hardware. I've tried a few different ISO's and finally figured out that I'm not imagining this either! If you choose a single race instead of a championship, you'll find that the car handles much more realistically/like the others.

It's this type of race that I remember from the demo I had a long time back. It's a real pity that the championship is so unplayable (IMO) due to the crazy accelleration. But at least I can move through the single races and pat myself on the back when I finish them : )
Old 08 November 2014, 14:13   #10
jPV

Yeah, well, some championships are easier. But we have used to play with match races usually and you can define the speed for those yourself, and also play through all tracks. Championship races only have certain selection of tracks.