English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 31 October 2014, 06:37   #1
dschallock

MagicWorkbench options?

I really like Magicworkbench as a simple and clean solution for my 3.1 install on my a3000, but I don't want to see the register window everytime I boot up. I would gladly register the product but I guess that has been impossible for almost 10 years now. Does anyone know of any solutions?
Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Old 31 October 2014, 07:33   #2
ptyerman

Take a look Here: http://www.fatcat.vispa.com/keyring/
Old 31 October 2014, 10:19   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschallock View Post
I really like Magicworkbench as a simple and clean solution for my 3.1 install on my a3000, but I don't want to see the register window everytime I boot up. I would gladly register the product but I guess that has been impossible for almost 10 years now. Does anyone know of any solutions?
Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Just remove the magicwb-daemon program from s:user-startup.

You need to set screenmode to 8 colors and palette to mwb palette, though.

Or use FullPlalette or similar to set the mwb specific colors.

(Background: with palette prefs you can select the first 4 and the last 4 colors. But for MWB the first 8 colors need to be set. If the screen mode has more than 8 colors, colors 5 to 8 are usually set by the mwb-daemon. If you don't use it, you need to use another program. OS 3.9's Workbench prefs has an option to set MWB colors.)
Old 31 October 2014, 14:56   #4
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
(Background: with palette prefs you can select the first 4 and the last 4 colors. But for MWB the first 8 colors need to be set. If the screen mode has more than 8 colors, colors 5 to 8 are usually set by the mwb-daemon. If you don't use it, you need to use another program. OS 3.9's Workbench prefs has an option to set MWB colors.)
I think MWB use the first 4 colors and the last 4 colors of a palette with minimum 8 color screen. At least here (using FullPalette) with 16 color screen it works so. I thought is is always true. Independantly which programm is used to set the MWB colors. Or can the 8 MWB colors somewhere in a palette with >=16 colors?
Old 31 October 2014, 15:09   #5
thomas

No. MagicWB icons have 3 bitplanes (as opposed to the 2 bitplanes of standard icons). These three bitplanes form 8 colors. Pens 0 to 7. If a screen has more than 3 bitplanes (more than 8 colors), the first 8 pens are used, but only the first 4 colors are fixed.

Easy test: change screen mode to 8 colors and change palette to MWB colors. Make sure that MWB-Daemon, FullPalette and similar are not running. Then change screen mode to 16 colors. MWB icons look ugly. That's because palette prefs sets pens 0 - 3 and pens 12 - 15, but icons still need pens 0 - 7 of which pens 4 - 7 are no longer fixed. You need a special program which fixes pens 4 - 7.