English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 October 2014, 18:44   #1
Kola

Anyone help me sort my CF card?

Hi there,

Im after an image (I think) for my internal CF card I got for my A1200.

Anyone help me out? Sorry, I'm not really sure what I'm asking here, more just want to put my CF card in my A1200 and it spring to life

If I can supply any further info please tell me what you need to know. Not really my strong point.

Regards
Old 18 October 2014, 19:01   #2
Leffmann

You're probably looking for ADF images of the Workbench disks. You can find them on the Internet Archive and The Old Computer if you do a web search.

If you have a CF adapter for your PC, then you can use the CF card as an Amiga hard drive inside WinUAE. It's the quickest and most convenient way of installing everything you need.

Last edited by Leffmann; 23 October 2014 at 22:24.
Old 18 October 2014, 19:42   #3
Kola

Thanks mate. Fitzsteve was obsessed with the size of my card? I don't know why though, its all a bit beyond me. He's too busy to help at the mo so I don't want to bug him.

Any ideas why the size of my card would matter? Id be interested to learn. Its a 4 gig one.
Old 18 October 2014, 19:45   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

The Image you want has to match the size of the card, too big and it wont fit, too small and it will reduce the size of your card. You want one that's just right, goldilocks
Old 18 October 2014, 19:53   #5
Kola

ah, right. Thanks Arnie

Ok, so where do I find one of these things then?
Old 18 October 2014, 20:36   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

You probably wont, as Leffmann said, you need the WB disks to install to the CF card and either a Gotek or CF card adapter for the PCMCIA slot to use ADF's. Alternately you could use an adpater to connect the CF card to your PC and use WinUAE.
Old 18 October 2014, 20:40   #7
Kola

Hi mate,

Ive got a CF card and the internal mounting kit. Ive also got a USB CF card reader thingy what I was going to use to put all the stuff onto the CF card.

I dont have a adapter for the PCMCIA slot. If fact until 3 minutes ago I didn't even know I had an PCMCIA slot
Old 18 October 2014, 20:55   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I personally would use the usb CF card reader and Install WB using WinUAE. You will need the WB disks in ADF or similar format for the Installation

Also (If you've never user WinUAE) you will need a kickstart.rom.
Old 18 October 2014, 20:56   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you don't have a pcmcia adapter with another Cf to transfer information to the miggy you better take the Cf HD out and install all with WinUAE. Fitzsteve has a video tutorial somewhere. Here [ Show youtube player ]

But you haven't told what accelerator do you have if any, and that's important to recommend you an OS.

Anyway you also better buy the pcmcia adapter and a Cf (1Gb is enough).

Edit: Oh, sorry that video uses the floppy disks. If you have them you can use it, if not (and you've got the adf's from Amiga Forever for example) here is another tutorial for WinUAE only [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 October 2014 at 21:18.
Old 18 October 2014, 21:12   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

It's worth noting that once you format the card for Amiga WB use, you can't mount it on the PC unless you use WinUAE or AROS.
Old 18 October 2014, 22:27   #11
Kola

Guys thanks so much. Some great info for me to work through.

No accelerators Retro Fan. Just standard A1200. Will be getting as much RAM as it can naturally fit in. 8 meg I believe.

Retrofan - that second link is awesome. Taylor made for my question. Any videos on next weeks Euro Millions numbers?

Im a mac user. So I'm using Virtualbox to run XP and then WinUAE inside of that. Mind boggling!!!

Last edited by TCD; 18 October 2014 at 23:20. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 18 October 2014, 22:35   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Then go for BetterWB for speed, http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=75205 or CWB Lite http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/lite.htm. The more you can run may be CWBAdv http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/adv.htm or the Special http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/advsp.htm but don't expect miracles.

Anyway they all will run. Yes with an 8mb ram cardboard you can play almost everything.
Old 18 October 2014, 23:02   #13
Kola

Hi Retrofan you lost me.

But hang on I'm working through this guys video. On the set up at exactly 37 seconds he he sets his winUAE to 8 meg fast RAM. Should I do that? I dont have 8 meg of fast RAM insulated in my A1200. Its just standard?
Old 18 October 2014, 23:25   #14
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Hi Retrofan you lost me.

But hang on I'm working through this guys video. On the set up at exactly 37 seconds he he sets his winUAE to 8 meg fast RAM. Should I do that? I dont have 8 meg of fast RAM insulated in my A1200. Its just standard?
Yep, he also increases the floppy speed to 800x, that's just to make things faster/easier. He doesn't want to go out of Ram and uses that. You can even increase the chip ram without problems on WinUAE or use more fast ram.

Edit: Remember that you will need the kickstart and the floppys from AForever for example.
Edit 2: You must make a copy of that HD once you finish, so you won't have to make it all again a next time. Anyway installing a new CF HD you always will need to follow his steps to make the partitions and so. There are other ways anyway (an image), but you better start making and understanding the process.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 October 2014 at 23:48.
Old 18 October 2014, 23:35   #15
Kola

Hey mate. Thanks got it.

Yeah I have 'found' all of the bits I need.

On the video you dug out for me [ Show youtube player ]

Im up to 3:14.

Mine is exactly the same but for some reason my Work disk isn't showing on WinUAE. Just going over my steps again.
Old 18 October 2014, 23:39   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Hey mate. Thanks got it.

Yeah I have 'found' all of the bits I need.

On the video you dug out for me [ Show youtube player ]

Im up to 3:14.

Mine is exactly the same but for some reason my Work disk isn't showing on WinUAE. Just going over my steps again.
Never shows on mine either, I have to set it to uae instead of IDE0.
Old 18 October 2014, 23:40   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Now that you are starting with WinUAE you know you can "have for free" up to a BPPC to try Systems.

You don't need a CF to use as HD on WinUAE, next time you can use whatever drawer of your PC to make it all and try it in the Pc. In fact add another new drawer of your PC to Hardrives on WinUAE and copy all the files of your HD to have a backup.

The next step is to install a good OS, at least BetterWB.

Edit: Look how nice it runs CWBAdvSp with just 8mb ram like you [ Show youtube player ] A bit slow but doable.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 October 2014 at 23:57.
Old 18 October 2014, 23:56   #18
Kola

Thanks guys.

Big step backwards here. I was just about to try what FOL had said but now when I run it I dont get anything other than a blue AmigaDOS screen prompt.

I dont get why someone who has done this before doesn't just leave a file set up with all of this crap down (sorry frustrated)
Old 19 October 2014, 00:04   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Make sure you've got the Install disk on floppies to boot from and start again.

About what you say you need to pass this test to obtain some skill, just like in a game .

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 October 2014 at 00:09.
Old 19 October 2014, 00:05   #20
Kola

NOT TO WORRY - Got it. Somehow it had reset to an A500 state?

Who cares done now. Moving onward. Its took me 2 hours to do 5 mins on his video lol