English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 August 2014, 13:14   #1
Zeecor

Amiga 500+ not reading discs.

Hi!

I have just taken my old Amiga 500+ out of storage to play some old classics. But sadly it's not reading my discs.

The original disc drive (Panasonic JU-253-033P) was mechanically broken (wouldn't keep the discs in) so I bought a Epson SMD-300 to replace it. But there seems to be another problem with the Amiga.

The Amiga respons when I insert a disc by displaying a all purple screen and the disc activity light goes on. Then it just goes back to the bootscreen telling me to insert a dics.

Here is a video showing the symptoms:

[ Show youtube player ]

The battery on the motherboard had leaked so I removed it and cleaned up the board. The Gary socket was also destroyed from acid so I removed it and soldered Gary straight to the board temporarily until I get the socket.

I have tried to switch the two CIA chips with no results. I have also reseated all the chips except for Angus since I can't get him out without breaking him.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? I really appreciate some expertise from you guys Sorry about my english it's obviously not my main language

Thanks!

Old 22 August 2014, 15:50   #2
Zeecor

Oh nevermind me haha. The disks I tried must be bad or non bootable for some reason. Well, they have been stored in a garage for the last 12-13 years.

I tried another disk and it boots