English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 April 2014, 08:40   #1
earok

CD32 compilation organiser

Not sure if it's any use to anyone, but as a side project to my CD32 compilation I've whipped up a rudimentary utility to generate sub menus on Lennon Lives' CD32 toolkit (similar to the ones that appeared on the 200/350/444/888 game compilations).

Full source is on Github under https://github.com/earok/CD32CompilationOrganiser, Windows binaries can be downloaded here: https://github.com/earok/CD32Compila...iser%20Bin.zip

This is what the output looks like in AMSCD32:

Old 10 February 2017, 22:01   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

thanks earok, I'd be more interested in:

- what's the format to create menus (I currently only know how to create "flat" menus")
- a version where you can go "fast" without the shoulder buttons (with a single joystick or keys, a filter...)

I've created a menu generator on Windows using Python which reads inside the whdload slaves so no manual input at all, and is able to generate launchers for CD32load or Whdload. If you're interested tell me!
Old 11 February 2017, 00:18   #3
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
thanks earok, I'd be more interested in:

- what's the format to create menus (I currently only know how to create "flat" menus")
- a version where you can go "fast" without the shoulder buttons (with a single joystick or keys, a filter...)

I've created a menu generator on Windows using Python which reads inside the whdload slaves so no manual input at all, and is able to generate launchers for CD32load or Whdload. If you're interested tell me!
I'm interested in the launcher generator! I want to make a demo cd from the whdload installs, currently on letter c, copying and pasting the names manually as you can imagine it's taking forever, so this would be very welcome!
Old 11 February 2017, 10:06   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

Great. I'll zone my script along with a demo input tree (with 1 or 2 small games) so it's ready to run.

Do you have a good version of the AMSLoader? & instructions because ATM I can only generate flat structure.

Well, I haven't tried, but if you put directories in MenuData: and the .start & .txt games in it does it create the sub-menus? that would be great.
Old 11 February 2017, 11:07   #5
Amigajay

Quote:
Great. I'll zone my script along with a demo input tree (with 1 or 2 small games) so it's ready to run.

Do you have a good version of the AMSLoader? & instructions because ATM I can only generate flat structure.

Well, I haven't tried, but if you put directories in MenuData: and the .start & .txt games in it does it create the sub-menus? that would be great.
Cool

Btw I've been using AGS2 since last June ish as it allows freedom of where you put the menu on screen etc

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...2&postcount=93
Old 11 February 2017, 15:19   #6
Retro1234
Phone Homer

iirc to make the sub menu you do something like

Puzzle.start
Racing.start
Fighting.start
etc

Puzzle.start = Assign Games: Dismount
assign Games: CD0:Your puzzle game folder
assign Pictures: Your Puzzle Pictures folder.
assign text: Your Puzzle Text folder.
Start AGS again

lennonlives did a version I think called A1200 Games Compilation Toolkit where you use Joystick Left,Right to scroll faster.

Last edited by Retro1234; 11 February 2017 at 15:33.
Old 12 February 2017, 09:47   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

Just what I feared! I downloaded the AGS version, I'll adapt my script to AGS, as AMSCD32 is good for CD32 but sucks for A1200. Thanks. Will keep you posted about the progress.

EDIT: AGS2 is exactly what I'm looking for: it has recursive / folder organization. Is there an IFF game library I can download somewhere?

Last edited by jotd; 12 February 2017 at 10:11.
Old 12 February 2017, 17:18   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

Ok, I have put "AGS_menu_creator.zip" in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf5430ygsl...eator.zip?dl=0

Basically, it's made of a HDROOT_DEMO directory and a .bat file used to start the .py file

- windows or linux (adapt the super-simple .bat file)
- python 2 or 3 installed

I have included demos of some games (no copyright infringement here ). The python script scans the "category" directories for .slave files. It reads from them and creates the menu entries accordingly.

Of course this is very alpha software but does the job. You can add your .iff files, only the .run/.txt are deleted when generating.

ATM it's not possible to pass options to generate the scripts with "CUSTOM1", ... It would be better to upgrade the whdload slaves so we can click on the whdload splash screen to select them dynamically.

Feedback appreciated
Old 12 February 2017, 18:35   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
better to upgrade the whdload slaves so we can click on the whdload splash screen to select them dynamically.
Yeah that's a great feature I've seen with later slaves, much better then messing about with the icon or starting from Cli
Old 12 February 2017, 19:02   #10
Amigajay

Not sure what todo with this, i downloaded python 3.6 and when i click the batch file it says 'modulenotfounderror: no module named 'whdload_slave' ?
Old 12 February 2017, 20:06   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

Oh I forgot that. the missing .py file can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1xwfba12r..._slave.py?dl=0

main archive updated as well. Enjoy and give feedback!

Last edited by jotd; 12 February 2017 at 21:03.
Old 12 February 2017, 22:39   #12
Amigajay

It's coming up 'warning blah blah is not a slave' on every file.
Old 13 February 2017, 07:51   #13
jotd
This cat is no more

you mean on my test directory? can you post the output? very weird.
Old 14 February 2017, 18:51   #14
Amigajay

Here ya go JOTD;

C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\Downloads\CD32\Make CD32 Bits\AGS_menu_creator>create_launcher_data_whd.py HDROOT_DEMO
3 categories found
6 games in category BitmapBros
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\CadaverDemo2\CadaverDemo.slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\CadaverDemo3\CadaverDemo.slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\ChaosEngineDemo\ChaosEngineDemo.Slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\GodsDemo\GodsDemo.Slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\MagicPocketsDemo\MagicPocketsDemo.Slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\Xenon2Demo\XenonIIDemo.Slave: not a slave
3 games in category Factor5
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\Turrican2Demo\Turrican2Demo.Slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\Turrican3Demo\Turrican3Demo.Slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\TurricanDemo\TurricanDemo.Slave: not a slave
2 games in category Misc
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Misc\VirtualKartingDemo\VirtualKartingDemo.slave: not a slave
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Misc\YoJoeDemo\YoJoeDemo.Slave: not a slave

C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\Downloads\CD32\Make CD32 Bits\AGS_menu_creator>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
Old 14 February 2017, 21:22   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Just tested and works fine with the dropbox archive!... Added more detail to the error. Can you grab https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1xwfba12r..._slave.py?dl=0 and replace the whdload_slave.py file by that one? (and post your more detailed errors). Are you using python 2.x? 3.x?
Old 14 February 2017, 23:06   #16
Amigajay

C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\Downloads\CD32\Make CD32 Bits\AGS_menu_creator>create_launcher_data_whd.py HDROOT_DEMO
3 categories found
6 games in category BitmapBros
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\CadaverDemo2\CadaverDemo.slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\CadaverDemo3\CadaverDemo.slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\ChaosEngineDemo\ChaosEngineDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\GodsDemo\GodsDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\MagicPocketsDemo\MagicPocketsDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\BitmapBros\Xenon2Demo\XenonIIDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
3 games in category Factor5
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\Turrican2Demo\Turrican2Demo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\Turrican3Demo\Turrican3Demo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Factor5\TurricanDemo\TurricanDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
2 games in category Misc
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Misc\VirtualKartingDemo\VirtualKartingDemo.slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header
warning: HDROOT_DEMO\GAMES\Misc\YoJoeDemo\YoJoeDemo.Slave: not a slave, found b'WHDLOADS' header

C:\Users\Justin\Desktop\Downloads\CD32\Make CD32 Bits\AGS_menu_creator>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Using Python 3.6
Old 14 February 2017, 23:46   #17
jotd
This cat is no more

great! I found the issue It's not running on Python 3, only Python 2.

now running on python 3 (not anymore on python 2, too much effort maintaining both)

get full archive again here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf5430ygsl...eator.zip?dl=0

Last edited by jotd; 15 February 2017 at 00:06.
Old 15 February 2017, 00:04   #18
Amigajay

Ah glad you found the issue! Will try again when you fix the prob.
Old 15 February 2017, 10:05   #19
jotd
This cat is no more

actually I did. Download the full archive again it works with python 3 now.
Old 15 February 2017, 19:41   #20
Amigajay

Quote:
actually I did. Download the full archive again it works with python 3 now.
Just tested, works a treat now! thanks very much for this!

Edit: got through A-Z with not too many issues! the main one is the stag 1-6 and extra, even though they are named differently (folder and slave) it still creates them all as stag_series.run so i'll have to do those manually, but in comparison to what i was doing i can live with that!

One thing, would it possible so it adds PRELOAD to the line? Edit: scrap that it already does! i dont know why i thought it didnt...doh!

Last edited by Amigajay; 16 February 2017 at 18:47.