English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene > Member Introductions

Old 07 December 2013, 16:01   #1
rune

Hi, first post to the board and Amigas.

Apologies in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere, I've still to look around and get info on the computers.

I just got a couple of Amiga 500s which are poorly. One runs OK after I fixed the PSU, the other (500+) shows the power light and the floppy light is on constantly.

My first problem is that neither came with any disks. Is there anywhere I can buy the kickstart and workbench discs. Or get images and make some?

The Amiga that runs displays a greyscale image when I plug a composite lead in the phono. Is this normal? Do I need to use the A520 box to get colour?

Old 07 December 2013, 18:23   #2
Zak
Zap´em

You don´t need Kickstart disks with A500. I think, you can get Workbench disk images when you buy Amiga Forever CD, but I am not a hundred percent sure about this. You don´t need those for gaming though. The A500 should accept game disks without other disks being inserted before.

Composite output on A500 is grey scale. A520 module will give color output. There is other solutions like using the Amiga RGB output and connect it with special cables to an LCD TV. There are also adapters and scandoublers available for the use with VGA. I hope other board members can give you more exact info on your options and technological problems.

Welcome to EAB!
Old 07 December 2013, 18:55   #3
rune

Thanks for the reply Zak.

Its good to know that there's nothing wrong with the colour. I had the A520 unit but not a coax cable. That will be the test tomorrow.

I got the Amiga Forever package, but it was only the minimum version. I'll check out the CD version next.

I can run the few games and magazine disks I got OK. But I'd like to do a little more than play games so need access to workbench.

Would the same version of workbench work on both A500 and A500+

Its a bit cold in the man cave at this time of year so I am only getting a little done at a time.

Old 07 December 2013, 19:18   #4
Zak
Zap´em

The A500 usually uses Workbench 1.3 and the A500+ usually uses Workbench 2.0

This cable was discussed on other thread, seems to work:http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=226

This is the thread, it´s about A1200, but maybe helps:http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...ghlight=neil79

Last edited by Zak; 07 December 2013 at 19:29.
Old 11 January 2014, 12:41   #5
Hewitson

You do not need a coax cable, the A520 has a composite video out. I very strongly suggest not using that horrible modulator though, get yourself an RGB SCART cable for the best image quality. Amigakit and Vesalia should both be able to provide you with a quality cable.
Old 11 January 2014, 14:39   #6
rune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
You do not need a coax cable, the A520 has a composite video out. I very strongly suggest not using that horrible modulator though, get yourself an RGB SCART cable for the best image quality. Amigakit and Vesalia should both be able to provide you with a quality cable.
Thanks for replying. I havent looked at the Amiga fheor a month or so. I was using the composite on the A520 but the picture wasnt the greatest. Does the RGB cable plug into this?

I'll check out the suppliers for an RGB cable.

EDIT - Just had a look at Amigakit. The RGB cable will be ordered this week. I never liked the A520 hanging off the back of the computer.

Old 11 January 2014, 21:31   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Just had a look at Amigakit. The RGB cable will be ordered this week. I never liked the A520 hanging off the back of the computer.
Hi rune,

That's the way to go! You won't regret it - especially if you'll be using Workbench regularly, it'll give you the best possible picture. With the other options you might have trouble reading text on the screen.

Welcome to EAB!

Don't worry about asking a few questions in your introductory thread. It helps us get to know you better and vice-versa.
Old 11 January 2014, 22:57   #8
rune

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi rune,

Welcome to EAB!

Don't worry about asking a few questions in your introductory thread. It helps us get to know you better and vice-versa.
Cheers Prowler,

I have a 500+ with a couple of very badly corroded Gary and CIA dil sockets. I've removed the chips and cut the plastic out. Now I need to desolder the rest and put new sockets on.

I've also got a 500. Is the RGB cable the same for both models.

There isnt enough desk room so it will be good to reduce the footprint of my kit.

Oh, I have a million questions as well. But thats for other posts.

Old 11 January 2014, 23:00   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Cheers Prowler,

I have a 500+ with a couple of very badly corroded Gary and CIA dil sockets. I've removed the chips and cut the plastic out. Now I need to desolder the rest and put new sockets on.

I've also got a 500. Is the RGB cable the same for both models.
Yes. In fact, it's the same for all Amiga models with the DB23 monitor port.