English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 August 2013, 20:19   #1
ChiliPete

Help transferring disks between systems

Hi,

I've recently decided to revisit my youth and start playing some Amiga games that I used to play long ago. I started by playing Pool of Radiance, I game I wasted many hours on in my past. My hope was to play it on 2 different systems, my android phone when I'm traveling and my computer when I'm at home. I downloaded an Amiga emulator for my Galaxy S3 phone called Uae4all2 that I use with a tiny external bluetooth mouse/keyboard that fits in my pocket. It works great. The emulation seems to be pretty darn good

The problem is, when I try to play on my home computer, WinUAE reads my save game disk as blank. I transferred my save game disk from my phone to my computer - the disk is named POOLSAVE. When I tried to load the save game, the game told me the disk was empty. So I quit the game and went to workbench. When I go to workbench on my computer, it recognizes the disk as POOLSAVE, but when I type 'dir' into the shell, the only file listed is '.info.' When I go to my phone and type 'dir' all of the save game files are displayed.

So I really cannot understand why the disk would be read fine on the emulator on the phone, but blank on the emulator on the computer. Maybe the 2 emulators are incompatible, but I would think they would both read and write in an Amiga compatible format. Does anyone have any ideas how to get the save game disk to work on both emulators?

If I can't get the disks to work together, is there anyway to transfer individual files from the phone to the computer? For example, on the save disk, there is a file called CHRCTR1.SAV. Could I take that file from the phone and put it on a blank disk on the computer to make a new save disk?

I appreciate any help you have. For what its worth, all the disk settings on both emulators are set to 100% compatible mode.

Old 23 August 2013, 20:58   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, I suggest you upload the disk somewhere (and post a link) so the disk can be checked (for weirdness?).
Old 23 August 2013, 22:21   #3
ChiliPete

OK, here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xl769a8wx...ance_Disk3.adf

Thanks for the help!

Old 23 August 2013, 22:27   #4
Nobby_UK

OFS / FFS maybe ?

Obviously Not !

Hmmmmm ???

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 23 August 2013 at 22:41.
Old 23 August 2013, 22:30   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

That disk is *completely* blank (except for DOS header and root block), so there is at least not any bug with WinUAE or something like that. It basically means that this is a DOS-formatted disk with no content on it.

A couple of suggestions you can check out:

1. Double-check that this is infact the same ADF you are saving on (when on the mobile), perhaps you've got two save-adfs without realizing it?

2. Uae4all2 could be saving data to an ADF overlay (perhaps because it does not have write permission to the ADF file, or another reason). I don't even know if Uae4all2 supports this though. (Look for a file called Pool of Radiance_Disk3_save.adf or something like that, possibly stored in another location on the phone...)
Old 23 August 2013, 23:50   #6
ChiliPete

Thanks for checking. The one thing I didn't mention in the original post is that I have 2 android devices, my galaxy s3 phone and a larger tablet, both of which I have Uae4all2 installed on. If I download that adf file to my tablet via dropbox, it works fine. The files show up there just like they show up on my phone. It's only when I download it to my computer that it shows up blank. So I know I'm not using two save-adf's. I also don't think there's any kind of overlay, because I only transfer one file from my phone to my tablet and it works OK.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance. It's not the end of the world. I would prefer that old school feeling of playing on an actual computer, but I can keep playing on my phone.

Old 24 August 2013, 00:05   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I can assure you that the savegames did not end up being transferred to the tablet via *that ADF file*. You can check yourself with a hex editor. Apart from the boot block and root block (and bitmap block), there are only zeroes in the file.

So.. a mystery then..

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 24 August 2013 at 09:24.
Old 24 August 2013, 00:09   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPete View Post
If I download that adf file to my tablet via dropbox, it works fine. The files show up there just like they show up on my phone. It's only when I download it to my computer that it shows up blank. So I know I'm not using two save-adf's. I only transfer one file from my phone to my tablet and it works OK.
It can't possibly be that file which is providing your tablet with the savegames. It's absolutely deviod of any information which could be interpreted as a savegame.

As Frode says, there is a DOS header in the first boot block, a root block and a bitmap block with only the root block and bitmap block sectors marked as used. There are no files on the disk. Every other sector is zeroed out.

Your tablet has to be getting the savegame data from elsewhere.