English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 February 2011, 11:55   #1
Parsec

LCD monitor for my xbox 1

I'm looking for a cheapish second hand 4:3 for my xbox 1. Thinking 19" but maybe 17" would be ok.

Some of the older models have highish refresh rates like 20-25ms. For playing xbox 1 games and emulators, would this really be an issue?

I'm don't play really fast-action fighting games or anything, more classic arcade and driving games.
Old 04 February 2011, 12:06   #2
deicidal
Registered Insane

What type of video lead are you planning on using. cex are quite cheep but can be a night mare to deal with via the website last year I ended up send 3 different tv's (and a stearing wheel which deffinatly wasnt a tv that i had ordered) back to them as them as they where far below standard
Old 04 February 2011, 12:07   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Unlike the Amiga. An XBOX-1 only outputs interlaced screens via RGB SCART. This means that it is pretty much guaranteed to work well with any second hand 4:3 LCDTV.

I thought the majority of XBOX-1 games were designed to be wide-screen though?

If you want to use an LCD monitor and not an LCD TV and use the VGA input you will have to create your own modded cable and switch to NTSC HD to get anything to work. The XBOX is not flexible enough to output panel resolution so you will have scaling issues. PAL will probably not work because most panels cannot do 50Hz. I've never successfully done this... but there is lots of info out there on how to try.
Old 04 February 2011, 12:10   #4
Parsec

No it's ok I've got a component cable feeding a HD Box Pro which does a nice job of outputting VGA. Using it with a monitor at the moment but it's a small widescreen and not ideal.

I want to stick with a VGA monitor because the there is much less lag than I got using a TV via component.

Quite a few xbox games are widescreen you're right but it's more the emulators I'm using. Halo 1 is not widescreen either neither is GTA III or Vice City!

What I'm really asking is (for retro games):
a) would you go for an IPS panel with better colour but worse response time or a cheaper TFT?
b) can't decide on 17" or 19" screen, think 19" but could prob get a better 17" for my budget. c) Would 19" be pushing it a bit with older games?

Last edited by Parsec; 04 February 2011 at 12:19.
Old 04 February 2011, 14:43   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What would be more important I think would be to find a panel which has a native resolution equal or a multiple of that output by the HD Box Pro when connected to the XBOX-1.

The least amount of scaling & filtering done by the LCD monitor and the HD Box Pro the better the picture will look. You want the XBOX to do the scaling.
Old 04 February 2011, 16:01   #6
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
What would be more important I think would be to find a panel which has a native resolution equal or a multiple of that output by the HD Box Pro when connected to the XBOX-1.

The least amount of scaling & filtering done by the LCD monitor and the HD Box Pro the better the picture will look. You want the XBOX to do the scaling.
Good point, the great thing about the hdboxpro is it supports a massive variety of widescreen and non-widescreen resolutions in it's setup pages. For instance the current monitor I have is a 16" widescreen which is 1440x900 and it even supports that

Both 17" and 19" 4:3 tend to all be 1280x1024 so it's down to pixel size really.

Seen Acer 19" with speakers 2nd hand on eBay that looks decent and it's local. Not my favourite make but it's 8ms response time.
Old 04 February 2011, 16:38   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

But the output resolution of the XBOX is likely to be 1280x720 (720p) or 720x480 (480p) depending on what HD mode you've got selected. So it is the HDBOXPro doing the scaling. Usually that introduces artefacts if the hardware isn't great (and usually they are not).
Old 04 February 2011, 17:30   #8
Parsec

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
But the output resolution of the XBOX is likely to be 1280x720 (720p) or 720x480 (480p) depending on what HD mode you've got selected. So it is the HDBOXPro doing the scaling. Usually that introduces artefacts if the hardware isn't great (and usually they are not).
It does alright though. White text on a black background in particular is amazing, it's anti-aliased and looks like HD. The results are really good. I'd recommend it, certainly for xbox/ps2.