English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 15 November 2010, 14:58   #1
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Simon The Sorcerer CD32 on Amiga 1200

Afternoon all,

I've been searching through the forum, and have stumbled upon a few posts relating to getting Simon The Sorcerer CD32 up and running on an Amiga 1200, but no complete solution.

From the posts I've found it would seem as if people can get the game running, but don't get any speech.

I dug out an old CD32 installer disc over the weekend, and attempted to emulate a CD32 with that. Simon runs, but again, no speech.

I just wondered if anyone had managed to get the CD32 version up and running on their 1200 (with speech), and also, how did you save games (as the original CD32 version used the in-built SRAM).

Any help, pointers or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 15 November 2010, 15:03   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Afternoon all,

I've been searching through the forum, and have stumbled upon a few posts relating to getting Simon The Sorcerer CD32 up and running on an Amiga 1200, but no complete solution.

From the posts I've found it would seem as if people can get the game running, but don't get any speech.

I dug out an old CD32 installer disc over the weekend, and attempted to emulate a CD32 with that. Simon runs, but again, no speech.

I just wondered if anyone had managed to get the CD32 version up and running on their 1200 (with speech), and also, how did you save games (as the original CD32 version used the in-built SRAM).

Cheers!
If you have a cdrom drive, use the power computing emulator.
This my setup, since updated drive and accellerator, but every cd32 game works.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=443844&postcount=39

or use the cd32 iso app in the cd32 devkit.
Old 15 November 2010, 22:41   #3
Ebster

i actually do not exactly know what the squirrel is but want to use the cd32-emulator with idefix97. is that possible and how shall i install?

i tried to install the minimum of the squirrel package - there is no cd32-emu-only install, only squirrel plus the emu. the install locked up when looking for my devices. i think because i do not have the surfsquirrel.

after the unfinished install i recovered my old cd0 in devs/dosdrivers that had been overwritten (using surfsquirrel.device). cd0 works again and i try to make use of the fully installed cd32-startup but the drive simply spins up with a cd32 game inserted after reset - and the screen stays black. also tried the wait 12 secs trick...

reset without the cd32 game leeds to workbench again.

can someone help me getting this to work?

best regards!!
Old 15 November 2010, 23:53   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster View Post
i actually do not exactly know what the squirrel is but want to use the cd32-emulator with idefix97. is that possible and how shall i install?

i tried to install the minimum of the squirrel package - there is no cd32-emu-only install, only squirrel plus the emu. the install locked up when looking for my devices. i think because i do not have the surfsquirrel.

after the unfinished install i recovered my old cd0 in devs/dosdrivers that had been overwritten (using surfsquirrel.device). cd0 works again and i try to make use of the fully installed cd32-startup but the drive simply spins up with a cd32 game inserted after reset - and the screen stays black. also tried the wait 12 secs trick...

reset without the cd32 game leeds to workbench again.

can someone help me getting this to work?

best regards!!
It freezes on find device because you have an impatability between your devices. Just dont start IDEFIX, it should'nt freeze then. I only use cd0, and atapi.device and it works fine.

I done a long post on how to sort it for running CD32 emulation. Maybe not the ideal way but it works. Cant find it at moment.
Old 17 November 2010, 21:47   #5
Ebster

leaving out idefix causes my system not to boot properly...

i have got around it this way:

installed the surfsquirrel cd32 emu to hd until it froze not finding a squirrelscsi device (which i obviously don't have). afterwards i did a reboot. i copied my old cd0 to dosdrivers and changed cd.device.config: scsi.device and the right unit number had to be put in.

and yes i can confirm a lot of games to be working...

just had a flawless game of microcosm, some minutes of a nicely talking simon the sorceror and so on.

@fol: does lemmings cdtv/cd32 work in your setup??

regards..
Old 17 November 2010, 22:27   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebster View Post
leaving out idefix causes my system not to boot properly...

i have got around it this way:

installed the surfsquirrel cd32 emu to hd until it froze not finding a squirrelscsi device (which i obviously don't have). afterwards i did a reboot. i copied my old cd0 to dosdrivers and changed cd.device.config: scsi.device and the right unit number had to be put in.

and yes i can confirm a lot of games to be working...

just had a flawless game of microcosm, some minutes of a nicely talking simon the sorceror and so on.

@fol: does lemmings cdtv/cd32 work in your setup??

regards..
The squirrel CD32 emu is what it says, A CD32 Emu. It will not boot any CDTV games.

In workbench you can configure the emu generally or if you have a disc in drive, you can configure it for that 1 game.

For Microcosm I told it to use data cache and fast ram. Now everytime I play it, it runs very very smooth.
Old 18 November 2010, 08:16   #7
Anemos
70X7

hello
Simon The Sorcerer II CD32,can be direct run from your HD of A1200,(with out CDROM), just copy the Dir,s and files on one folder of HD,and use the Simon2-Amiga-update > http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=242825&postcount=6
Edit:recommend accelerator , needed about 16MB of fast ram,

Last edited by Anemos; 18 November 2010 at 08:23.
Old 18 November 2010, 12:54   #8
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
hello
Simon The Sorcerer II CD32,can be direct run from your HD of A1200,(with out CDROM), just copy the Dir,s and files on one folder of HD,and use the Simon2-Amiga-update > http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=242825&postcount=6
Edit:recommend accelerator , needed about 16MB of fast ram,
Bah, wheres the fun in that, .
I use mine more to play CD32 games from my DVD-RW drive, .
Old 18 November 2010, 14:11   #9
Anemos
70X7

I know about your A1200 FOL..
well a small list to support run from A1200 HD (with out CDrom)..
  • Wasted Dreams - CD32
  • Beneath A Steel Sky - CD32 (with patch by JOTD )
  • Phoenix Fighters (Amiga CD)
  • Scorpions
  • Black Viper (Amiga CD)
  • Wendetta 2175
  • Simon The Sorcerer II CD32
  • Code name Hell Squad Amiga CD
  • Foundation-Gold Amiga CD
Old 18 November 2010, 15:16   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemos View Post
I know about your A1200 FOL..
well a small list to support run from A1200 HD (with out CDrom)..
  • Wasted Dreams - CD32
  • Beneath A Steel Sky - CD32 (with patch by JOTD )
  • Phoenix Fighters (Amiga CD)
  • Scorpions
  • Black Viper (Amiga CD)
  • Wendetta 2175
  • Simon The Sorcerer II CD32
  • Code name Hell Squad Amiga CD
  • Foundation-Gold Amiga CD

Add SubWar 2050 CD32. I have a load at home I have had running from HDD. I will have to post list if I get chance.

Also, using the SIMCD32 software that comes with CD32 Devkit, you can play CD32 ISO's, I have had MicroCosm running from my HDD using this method.
Old 18 November 2010, 16:14   #11
Anemos
70X7

Nice FOL..we wait your list!
prefer "No WHD install" already,or not full audio ,speak, ect..
Old 18 November 2010, 17:26   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post

Cheers!
Ive just tried Simon and - no speach im sure I had it running before but not sure how, maybe one of the following.

I assume your referring to the Airsoft CD32 Install Kit this is now Free and I think the latest version did supoort Simon with Speach - This also includes SRAM
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=53562

Or like FOL said theres theres SIMCD32 that he found out about on the CD32 Dev Kit - this works with Speech .

The SRAM only needs the nonvolatile.library and a text file in envarc:sys/nv_location pointing to where the game/s should save

The Squirel Emu is suppost to be both CD32&CDTV but dont think it includes any real degraders like KillAGA.......

Lemmings will run from workbench anyway

You can add to the HD list

Chaos Engine
Dark Seed
The Clue!
Lemmings
SpeedBall 2
DeepCore
Jungle Strike
Vital Light
Zool 1
Zool 2
Wing Commander - With Patch
Lost Vikings
Brian the Lion

Probably quite a few more........................

Last edited by Retro1234; 18 November 2010 at 17:56.
Old 18 November 2010, 19:32   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post

The Squirel Emu is suppost to be both CD32&CDTV but dont think it includes any real degraders like KillAGA.......
Squirrel emu dont do any CDTV titles, everyone I tried, it kept saying this a CDTV game and that it wont load them, lol.
Old 18 November 2010, 20:02   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Dont know ive got Squirrel 1.12, as you can see from the picture bellow it says CDTV also in folder Title Setup you have XENONII & CDTV_TEST not sure why you would get an error maybe trips up on bookit or somthing else CDTV related

Ive been meaning to try The Case Of The Cautious Condor

Can add to the HD list

Legends
Mean Arenas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDTV1.PNG
Views:	348
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	27036  
Old 18 November 2010, 20:13   #15
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Squrirrel used to load cdtv titles on my A600. probably less sucess on A1200, but some did work.

The ide-fix cd32 emu doesnt support cdtv emulation, but it would attempt to load them.
Old 18 November 2010, 21:21   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Dont know ive got Squirrel 1.12, as you can see from the picture bellow it says CDTV also in folder Title Setup you have XENONII & CDTV_TEST not sure why you would get an error maybe trips up on bookit or somthing else CDTV related

Ive been meaning to try The Case Of The Cautious Condor

Can add to the HD list

Legends
Mean Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
Squrirrel used to load cdtv titles on my A600. probably less sucess on A1200, but some did work.

The ide-fix cd32 emu doesnt support cdtv emulation, but it would attempt to load them.
Doh, your both correct.

Aint tried in years, maybe that was when I started out and only had IDEFIX CD32 Emu.
Old 18 November 2010, 21:55   #17
Ebster

maybe someone can post his CD32/Titelemount+Titlesetup+Titlestartup from his customised surfsquirrel config....

i'm still in testing mode - some titles i could configure and some not, e.g. fire and ice (keeps asking for the fire: disk). but fortunately most titles still work out of the box.