English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 June 2001, 21:21   #1
Cam

Eek Games run madly fast!

Hi, sorry for bombarding this board with questions but I'm dying to get UAE sorted out so that I can get into my old games again. Hope you don't mind.

Anyway, I got the latest UAE and set it up in the proper config (the one that was posted on these boards - kick 3.1, cpu 4) but the games run hugely fast and the sound follows about a minute behind. Changing the config to "Use Amiga 500 speed" solves the speed problem, but leaves me with a steadily increasing sound latency.

I've checked all the sound settings and none of them are causing the latency, so I imagine it's a cpu problem.

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong?

Old 21 June 2001, 21:22   #2
Cam

Oops, nearly forgot my system specs:

Athlon T-Bird 700
256mb PC-133
SB Live Platinum 5.1
Geforce2 GTS
IBM Deskstar 30gb 7200rpm

Old 21 June 2001, 22:02   #3
Amiga1992

Heh, everybody complains about WinUAE running too slow, and you complain about it running too fast

The sound latency seems to be a common problem. I never got to make it work correctly. I always use Fellow (or WinFellow), have you tried it? Works a sight better for games.

I use WinUAE only when I need to use apps (RTG Emulation r0x j00r s0x0rz)
Old 21 June 2001, 23:12   #4
Cam

I've heard a few people say that Fellow is better, so I think I'll give it a shot. Ta for the advice.

Old 21 June 2001, 23:56   #5
Amiga1992

For games, it is. Maybe it doesn't have such a high compatibility rating (though I have found no problems with it yet), bu it has key features which I like a lot:

- Screen handling. It has screens which you can approximate more accurately to Amiga standards. 640x300 is a great resolution to use

- Sounds better. It has no such latency problems, I get crisp clear sound at the best configuration possible, with no overruns or screen clogs

- It's fast. Bloody fast.

At home I use the DOS version (i need all the speed I can get, with a pentium 133 :P) and at work i use winfellow. winfellow is quite cool if youve got a nominal machine (nominal by today's standards). Do give it a try.
Old 22 June 2001, 10:39   #6
RCK
Administrator

you should all try the New Unofficial WinUAE 'Modification' by SuperJo, which really really enhance the sound syncronisation.

http://emunews.myip.org/files/soundexperimentwinuae.zip

thanks to Amiga Emulation News for the info.
Old 23 June 2001, 19:51   #7
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
For games, it is. Maybe it doesn't have such a high compatibility rating (though I have found no problems with it yet), bu it has key features which I like a lot:

- Screen handling. It has screens which you can approximate more accurately to Amiga standards. 640x300 is a great resolution to use

- Sounds better. It has no such latency problems, I get crisp clear sound at the best configuration possible, with no overruns or screen clogs

- It's fast. Bloody fast.

At home I use the DOS version (i need all the speed I can get, with a pentium 133 :P) and at work i use winfellow. winfellow is quite cool if youve got a nominal machine (nominal by today's standards). Do give it a try.
Well, it may be fast in game-play emulation, but, with some games, it is most definitely NOT fast in disk-loading routines, in fact I think sometimes its loading routines are even slower than WinUAE's. Well at least that's what it's like on my machine. The biggest pieces of evidence to prove Fellow's not-exactly-perfect disk-loading emulation are the majority of Sensible Software's back catalogue, especially SWOS (don't know about Insects In Space, though, maybe I'll test that).
Old 23 June 2001, 20:57   #8
Amiga1992

I havent had such problems, and as a sidenote, sometimes it loads FASTER than WinUAE. You can see the CPU speed % going higher while loading.

All with my humble P133
Old 23 June 2001, 21:27   #9
Cam

Interestingly, the Alien Breed series all give different sound results on my PC with UAE. Number 1 is laggy as hell, 2 is crackly but synchronised, and Tower Assault is perfect. I tried them in Fellow but it wouldn't recognise Tower Assault's multiple discs for some reason. I could swap them all to DF0, but there didn't seem a point as it runs perfectly in UAE.

Life is never simple. But at least Tower Assault works.

Old 15 September 2004, 03:08   #10
Marcuz

are there still games that run too fast? there is also an Andreas' thread somewhere about that games, but it's emty since 2002 me thinks. i was just wondering
Old 15 September 2004, 09:12   #11
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Is it the season for resurrecting threads that are three years old?
Old 18 September 2004, 12:19   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
are there still games that run too fast? there is also an Andreas' thread somewhere about that games, but it's emty since 2002 me thinks. i was just wondering
Mine?!

Can't remember this ... save from that sticky thread dealing with games that had (or still have) emulator problems.

(with most of them sorted out nowadays though, thanks to Toni )

But I've never ever been an eager AB player, hence I can't remember having opened a thread for this series