English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 August 2010, 17:54   #1
Paul_s

Is Workbench 1.3.3 bug free?

Workbench 1.3.3 write protected floppy is the best OS I have ever used... (i sincerely mean that). It just works and is fully bug tested

Last edited by prowler; 13 August 2010 at 21:11. Reason: To prepare for new thread.
Old 13 August 2010, 13:01   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Workbench 1.3.3 write protected floppy is the best OS I have ever used... (i sincerely mean that). It just works and is fully bug tested
You are right actually. I've never had one single issue with it. Would make an interesting thread to see if someone knows of any bugs in Workbench

Last edited by prowler; 13 August 2010 at 21:12. Reason: To prepare for new thread.
Old 13 August 2010, 21:17   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Would make an interesting thread to see if someone knows of any bugs in Workbench
Now's your chance. I've created such a thread from the relevant parts of Paul_S's and your posts!
Old 20 August 2010, 05:07   #4
Leandro Jardim

Well, I know an interesting one.

Start dragging a Workbench window and press both the left amiga key and the M key. Maintain the left mouse button pressed and try to drag the window out of the screen. It works! Probably your Amiga or WinUAE machine will crash.

Is it truly a bug or not?

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 20 August 2010 at 07:06.
Old 20 August 2010, 23:59   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Start dragging a Workbench window and press both the left amiga key and the M key. Maintain the left mouse button pressed and try to drag the window out of the screen. It works! Probably your Amiga or WinUAE machine will crash.
Is that limited to Workbench 1.3.3 only?
Old 21 August 2010, 02:37   #6
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Is that limited to Workbench 1.3.3 only?
All versions of Workbench pre-2.0!
Old 22 August 2010, 07:36   #7
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
Well, I know an interesting one.

Is it truly a bug or not?
Ah, I always wondered what that key combination was! From Workbench Nostalgia:

Quote:
Joan Dow notes that any Amiga OS version prior to 2.04 had a bug where windows could be turned inside out as long as you hit the right key combination that overrode minimum window size specs. People trying this would rather quickly discover that this was "Not A Good Thing.". The poor confused Amiga then took a quick visit to the Guru.
Old 22 August 2010, 14:49   #8
Ratte

Ever noticed the ScreenName "Workbench release." ?
On OS1.2 you can read "Workbench release 1.2" not so on OS1.3 ...

This seems to be a workaround for a forgotten 1.2 string in Kick34.5!
If you edit this part inside Kick34.5 you could read "Workbench release1.3" ;-)

I have done this in the early 90s with Twinkick .. start your A1000 boot Twinkick, jump in Kick1.3 mode and insert a WB1.3 .. ;-)

All Kick 1.x (except Twinkick) have the buggy PAL-Agnus detection.
Sometimes Kick1.x starts the system as a NTSC-System on a PAL-hardware.
Old 22 August 2010, 19:31   #9
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

That is mentioned on Workbench Nostalgia as well. Might be somewhat of an older site, but it's always good for a readthrough.

Quote:
Chris Young recalls that booting from some disks on Kickstart/Workbench 1.3 would show "Workbench Release 1.2" in the titlebar, but when booting from the Workbench 1.3.2 disks, it just showed "Workbench Release".

Thomas Kessler notes that this is due to a patch function called from C:LoadWB.

Ross Vumbaca adds more detail: "the Workbench version message in the titlebar is typically patched by the command that starts Workbench--LoadWB. If you run the LoadWB command from a Workbench 1.2 disk (i.e. Workbench 1.2), it causes the "Workbench Release 1.2" message to appear in the titlebar, regardless of whether Kickstart is 1.2 or 1.3. If the LoadWB command is run from a Workbench 1.3.2 disk and I believe from a Workbench 1.3 disk, it simply says "Workbench Release.". That's about the extent of it--simple a case of booting disks with the old LoadWB command (which causes the "1.2" message to appear). This sort of patching continues to this day... the latest Setpatch command for example, patches the titlebar in Kickstart 3.x to say "Amiga International" instead of "Commodore-Amiga".

Rodney Hester confirms that the titlebar "Workbench Release." appears in 1.3 as well as 1.3.2.
I think if you edit it in the ROM and then boot WB1.2 you'll see "Workbench release1.3 1.2" =P