English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 July 2010, 22:24   #1
Djay
95th User

VGA Adaptor Question

I've got a 22" Samsung LCD TV, which I use just for my A1200/A600...

at the moment I use my A1200 with an RGB Scart Cable, the screen has a slight wobble only noticeable when using Workbench (i don't see it when playing games)

my question is has anyone used a basic VGA to RGB Video socket adaptor with their machine... and if so are they happy with its performance?

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183

Last edited by Djay; 30 July 2010 at 22:37.
Old 30 July 2010, 23:03   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Djay,

I have a 19-inch Toshiba LCD HDTV, which I use with my Amigas via RGB to SCART and my PCs via VGA.

I also have a couple of those basic RGB to VGA adaptors, so I'll give that a try next time I fire up my A1200 (tomorrow morning, probably), and let you know what I think.
Old 30 July 2010, 23:34   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
You might be lucky for it to work, if your TV in VGA mode will sync down to 15hkz.

Luckily mine does its a 19in JVC HD TV but the picture does have noticable vertical lines.

Nothing has even come close to the picture I get on my 17in non HD LCD TV, via scart its absolutly amazing and sounds like Prowler was just as lucky with his Toshiba TV.

All I can say is give it a try but to get any decent improvment over Scart you might be looking at an Indivison AGA setup.

Steve.
Old 30 July 2010, 23:40   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
You might be lucky for it to work, if your TV in VGA mode will sync down to 15hkz.

Luckily mine does its a 19in JVC HD TV but the picture does have noticable vertical lines.
Thanks for that report, Steve! Now I know what I'm looking for.
Old 31 July 2010, 00:02   #5
Djay
95th User

i have heard that if you mod an RGB Scart Lead it fixes problems that occur when using LCD TV.... anyone know where i can buy a pre-modded lead or if someone can fix mine

to be honest, the problem thats on mine isnt actually that bad... but i would like a razor sharp image if possible

also moving my A1200 to VGA, would allow me to use my A600 using RGB Scart instead of composite (yuck)

thanks for all your help guys!
Old 31 July 2010, 00:18   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
i have heard that if you mod an RGB Scart Lead it fixes problems that occur when using LCD TV.... anyone know where i can buy a pre-modded lead or if someone can fix mine
The RGB to SCART lead I was using previously for my Amigas with Commodore or Acorn CRT monitors and a Sony Trinitron CRT TV does a fine job with the Amigas and my new Toshiba LCD HDTV!

It has a quite simple schematic which I have posted here previously, but I'll post the details here again for you tomorrow.
Old 31 July 2010, 00:33   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Its a long shot that those VGA adaptors will display all native Amiga screens isn't it?

You would see Workbench screens I guess depending on your workbench screen mode but you wouldn't be able to see and play Amiga PAL games would you??
Old 31 July 2010, 00:37   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Wait and see!
Old 31 July 2010, 00:41   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Its a long shot that those VGA adaptors will display all native Amiga screens isn't it?
All the native and workbench screens work on my 19in JVC HD LCD with this adapter

But again I think I was very lucky
Old 31 July 2010, 06:07   #10
Hewitson

Quote:
also moving my A1200 to VGA, would allow me to use my A600 using RGB Scart instead of composite (yuck)
Just buy a scart switch..
Old 31 July 2010, 23:49   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've got a 22" Samsung LCD TV, which I use just for my A1200/A600...

...with an RGB Scart Cable, my question is has anyone used a basic VGA to RGB Video socket adaptor with their machine... and if so are they happy with its performance?

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=183
This morning, as promised, I connected my new Toshiba 19-inch widescreen LCD HDTV to my Comodore Amiga 1200 via a Commodore 390882-01 RGB to VGA adaptor.

As soon as the Amiga was producing a video output, the screen displayed the message "Not Supported!". The message persisted even after the Amiga had booted to the Workbench at PAL High Res Laced, which is supported by the set through RGB to SCART.
Old 01 August 2010, 00:00   #12
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks for the update prowler - thought it was a bit hit and miss... so that must mean that Steve's flat screen vga input must support 15hkz as stated - so some new flat screen TV's have the capability of doing this others don't - I wonder why some manufacturers still offer the screen modes as what else but old technology uses it?
Old 01 August 2010, 01:15   #13
Djay
95th User

Quote:
Thanks for the update prowler - thought it was a bit hit and miss... so that must mean that Steve's flat screen vga input must support 15hkz as stated - so some new flat screen TV's have the capability of doing this others don't - I wonder why some manufacturers still offer the screen modes as what else but old technology uses it?
probably Amiga fans

thanks guys for all your help

@prowler, i am a complete n00b when it comes to modding leads, etc if i were to buy a spare RGB lead and sent it to you, could you mod it for me... i am happy to pay any costs involved
Old 01 August 2010, 01:40   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Djay,

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about posting my RGB to SCART cable details! They really are quite simple. I've tried searching here for my previous post with those details, but it's eluded me.

I actually have my original notes in front of me, but it will take a while to get them ready for posting, so it'll have to be tomorrow now.

Of course, if you really don't feel up to the job of modifying a cable, should it be needed, then I'll gladly do it for you.

Just let me know.

Edit: The slight wobble you mention when displaying Workbench on your LCD panel through RGB to SCART might be eliminated by adjusting the overscan settings. NTSC modes on my set were displayed with a slight wobble during testing, but the overscan badly needed adjusting and I didn't want to fiddle with it.
Old 01 August 2010, 02:47   #15
Djay
95th User

i have noticed the wobble (and it is tiny) on dpaint aswell and on some static screens... i probably dont see it in games because the display is moving anyway

the strange thing is that sometimes it not there at all.. then it comes back.. i thought of interference, but i literally went round my house and turned everything off!
Old 01 August 2010, 09:44   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
This morning, as promised, I connected my new Toshiba 19-inch widescreen LCD HDTV to my Comodore Amiga 1200 via a Commodore 390882-01 RGB to VGA adaptor.

As soon as the Amiga was producing a video output, the screen displayed the message "Not Supported!". The message persisted even after the Amiga had booted to the Workbench at PAL High Res Laced, which is supported by the set through RGB to SCART.
To be honest I wasn't expecting it to work on mine, I only tried as the scart picture on mine was in black and white.

Quote:
Looks like its completely luck of the draw becuase the manual says nothing about it supporting 15khz all the PC Modes mentioned are 31khz+

Quote:
i have noticed the wobble (and it is tiny) on dpaint aswell and on some static screens... i probably dont see it in games because the display is moving anyway

the strange thing is that sometimes it not there at all.. then it comes back.. i thought of interference, but i literally went round my house and turned everything off!
Some screen modes have a slight wobble for me as well, full screen images like .jpg for example and the intro screens of some games.

I guess one day between us we will find the ultimate LCD TV for Amiga's but at least in some way all of ours work!

Steve.
Old 01 August 2010, 16:50   #17
Djay
95th User

i am seriously considering getting an original monitor now! What was the best monitor (largest) monitor for Amiga
Old 01 August 2010, 19:10   #18
zipper

Largest was Microvitec M1764/1704 - but far from best...
Old 01 August 2010, 19:48   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
prowler have you got the vgaonly monitor driver in your monitors draw ??
Old 01 August 2010, 20:04   #20
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
prowler have you got the vgaonly monitor driver in your monitors draw ??
I don't know, mate. That machine's tied up transferring a load of ADF images to my Amiga emulator via Amiga Explorer right now, so I'll have a look when it's finished.

@Djay,

I've found the link to my post with details of my RGB to SCART cable.

Here it is!

This is the cable which now works flawlessly with my new Toshiba 19-inch Widescreen LCD HDTV!

Linky