English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 July 2010, 03:54   #1
Aleph Five

A590 Boot Issue

Hi, I just bought an A590 SCSI controller with 40MB HD tested and working. Initially it came with no RAM and booted fine from the preinstalled copy of WB, I then populated the board with 2 megs RAM, after which it booted a few times, and then suddenly stopped. I made sure I had all the jumpers and DIPs set correctly, and tried removing the RAM but havn't been able to fix it. Somtimes when attempting to boot, the HD light will will remain constant and I get a white screen, other times the HD light blinks a few times before I get the insert WB screen. I've tried it with two A500's and gotten the same results on both. I'm thinking the most likely cause is the SCSI drive, but thought I'd look here for suggestions before going out and buying a new one, so if anyone knows somthing else I could try it'd be greatly appreciated!
Old 27 July 2010, 04:06   #2
Hewitson

First thing to do is verify the power source is working correctly.

Does controller work fine with RAM installed and no HD?
Old 27 July 2010, 05:16   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I second on the power supply, if you are using the original A590 supply or (worst) the A500 brick to feed all the system.

The HD can just trying to boot and fail due lack of voltage. That happened to me before.
Old 27 July 2010, 05:21   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

A sign that the A590 isn't getting enough power is that the green access light flashes a number of times in quick succession but only dimly.
Old 27 July 2010, 07:57   #5
Aleph Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
A sign that the A590 isn't getting enough power is that the green access light flashes a number of times in quick succession but only dimly.
In that case you guys are right on the money, that's exactally what it does, thanks for the info . So, what might my options be for fixing/replacing it?
Old 27 July 2010, 09:00   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Hmm. I'd bet money that it is a failing SCSI hard drive rather than a failing PSU.

See if you can borrow one, or an ATX adapter.
Old 27 July 2010, 10:00   #7
Hewitson

After noticing the drive is only 40mb, I'm inclined to agree..

Replace it with a decent drive and see if the problem persists. Could probably even bring one around if you're in Melbourne.
Old 27 July 2010, 10:06   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If you replace it with a SCSI hard drive, take care to :
  • buy a 50-pin SCSI drive or a 68-pin with cheap adapter (or IDE with SCSI->IDE adapter).
  • fit the cable to the SCSI connector and not the XT connector
Old 27 July 2010, 12:29   #9
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Hmm. I'd bet money that it is a failing SCSI hard drive rather than a failing PSU.

See if you can borrow one, or an ATX adapter.
While I don't doubt what you say my 4.3Gb A590 works just fine off its own power supply, but trying to get it to work on an ATX supply with an A500 connected to it as well, the +5V rail drops to around 4.18, I didn't have enough to load up the +12V supply to get the PSU to power properly. What I wrote is exactly the fault I encountered.
Old 27 July 2010, 12:50   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It wasn't a criticism, it was just my point of view. The symptoms are not really enough for anyone to make a proper diagnosis.

I stand by my suggestion the hard drive is a far more 'likely' fail point than a PSU. But as you point out it is still a possibility.

The ATX load thing is certainly something for him to bare in mind if he tries to use an ATX PSU.

Last edited by alexh; 27 July 2010 at 12:58.
Old 27 July 2010, 16:28   #11
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It wasn't a criticism, it was just my point of view. The symptoms are not really enough for anyone to make a proper diagnosis.

I stand by my suggestion the hard drive is a far more 'likely' fail point than a PSU. But as you point out it is still a possibility.

The ATX load thing is certainly something for him to bare in mind if he tries to use an ATX PSU.
Not taken as a criticism Alexh, you write your points well and offer good advice relating to all sorts of hardware and for sure an ancient SCSI drive could well be causing the issues. I reckon we just go for the double whammy, bad caps in said supply and faltering HDD, how do you like your odds?
Old 29 July 2010, 02:42   #12
Aleph Five

Well then, I guess I'll have to look into both solutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Could probably even bring one around if you're in Melbourne.
Thanks for the offer, but I should be able to procure one easily enough
But if it turns out to be the power supply, how should I go about resolving it? I know nothing about replacing caps.. Amiga Kit sells a molex to din adapter that says it works for A590's, could I simply get one of those and hook it up to my PC's power supply?
Old 31 July 2010, 09:55   #13
Aleph Five

Good news, I do believe I've isolated the problem to the power supply.. As it has now stopped working and makes a high pitched whistling sound when I turn it on