Ooo, Yes! (maybe) 5 62.50%
No! Not for me 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 March 2010, 17:31   #1
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Programmable Keyboard Matrix

Hi Chaps,
As I've finally gotten the parts together to make my long wished-for x86 Oric Atmos I've been looking seriously into the subject of how one goes about interfacing a retro-keyboard with a 'modern' motherboard.

It amazes me that though there are any number of programmable interfaces for people who wish to make home arcade machines there are (almost) no such interfaces for case-modders...
...the only (hellishly tedious) option is to butcher a modern keyboard and do some serious rewiring of the old keyboard.

Now, for a one-off that's probably what I'm going to do for my Oric as the job's half done but I've been in touch with a nice chap @ Sprintek. They make a programmable IC that looks ideal for making such an interface board.

Their own evaluation board to too complex/big/pricey but for my own interest I'm tempted to buy an IC or two to make my own hobbyist interface board.

So:

How many peeps would like such a thingy if I were to make a few of them?

SK5101 would give the features I want for the least money:
-Keyboard & Optional Mouse-
-Would do for Switch-Type Joysticks-

Unless someone has a good suggestion I can't see why I'd use the more expensive SK5100 or SK5102.

P.S.
Yes, I voted 'Yes' to my own Poll - it may be the only vote.
Old 22 March 2010, 14:18   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hmm, three yes's (including me)...

The reason for the poll is to see how much interest there may be in such an interface. If it's just me I'll finish the one-off route for my Atmos project...
...as there may be a bit of interest I may actually have a go - now where did I put my Eagle serial No..?
Old 22 March 2010, 14:25   #3
Kitty

What does it look like?
Old 22 March 2010, 21:39   #4
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Hi Kitty,
My x86 Atmos (when finished) will look at first glance just as it should. The interface board (currently) doesn't exist - I'm canvassing interest.
Despite the above keyboard hack being an amazingly tedious + fiddly process it would still be less effort for me than making a programmable interface board. But it would make sense if I were to make a few of them.
I no expert at designing PCB's, the chip does all the hard work and the schematic for the developer board is available. It's 'just' a case of reproducing the important parts on a smaller and cheaper PCB - I can make those myself.

I'd guess the board would have:
-to be about 3x4cm (smaller is better)
-a 2x20way pin-header for the keyboard matrix
-a 2x6way pin-header for LED's
-a USB port for, um USB and programming it
-solder points for direct wiring of a PS2 port
-solder points for power
...and that would be about it.

The primary purpose would be to allow easy wiring of retro keyboards for USB/PS2: Plug the keyboard matrix into the pin-header and program the board to suit - far easier than doping out the matrix of an existing keyboard then rewiring the retro one...
...but there's no reason why it couldn't also function for game-controller input.
Old 23 March 2010, 13:40   #5
Dimlow
Likes to be thought of as

Send a message via MSN to Dimlow Send a message via Yahoo to Dimlow
Well, i voted no for this. Id prefer to see these old machines kept as they are with their internals as they should be. This is pure butchery. Why use an oric emulator in the old hardware case when you can use the hardware inside. It does not make any sense to me.