English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 06 March 2010, 09:58   #1
RGB_Gamer

CD32 + SX32 MKII + WHDload - no games work

I have the following:

1. CD32 system (PAL)
2. SX32 MKII with 8mb fastram
3. 4GB compact flash card/CF to IDE adapter (formatted and partitioned for amiga
4. Workbench 3.1

No matter what I do, I just cannot get any WHDload games to work. Yes, I have all the necessary kickstart roms in the devs\kickstarts folder. Just about every game gives me a different error. For example, Castlevania gives me this error:

error during 'resload_LoadKick'
invalid kickstart image

I know I have the right images. Please help! WHDload games work just fine in WinUAE, but on on my setup.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:03   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As well as the kickstart images (correctly renamed!!) you need the RTB files for each kickstart.

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

If any of your kickstart images are cloanto Amiga Forever encrypted ROMs you also need rom.key in DEVS:/kickstart

When you say WHDload games work fine in WinUAE. Are you using the same hard drive? i.e. are you running from your SX32's CF card in WinUAE? If not then it is highly likely that you did something with your WinUAE setup you forgot to do when you created your CF card.

Last edited by alexh; 06 March 2010 at 10:09.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:09   #3
RGB_Gamer

I found out what I was doing wrong. What I was doing before was unzipping a zip file of kickstart ROMS to my PC's C: drive, then setting up WinUAE to read PC drives, and when WinUAE started, I would litterally drag and drop the kickstart folder to the Workbench\dev folder. A good fellow on IRC told me to unzip the kickstart files using the Amiga shell.

Now I still get illegal instruction errors from some games, like Cabal.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:13   #4
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
As well as the kickstart images (correctly renamed!!) you need the RTB files for each kickstart.

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

If any of your kickstart images are cloanto Amiga Forever encrypted ROMs you also need rom.key in DEVS:/kickstart

When you say WHDload games work fine in WinUAE. Are you using the same hard drive? i.e. are you running from your SX32's CF card in WinUAE? If not then it is highly likely that you did something with your WinUAE setup you forgot to do when you created your CF card.
none of my kickstart images are cloanto from what I can tell. Do I need those? what is rom.key?
Old 06 March 2010, 10:15   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I can think of four reasons

1) Old slave. Where did you get your Cabal WHDload? It says in the WHDload Cabal installer README you need v1.1 to work with WHDload 16.6 or later.

2) Corrupt disk used to create WHDload install.

Try making a new Cabal WHDload install using the SPS IPF disk image (Cabal (1989)(Ocean)[0638].zip) and the latest slave installer with WinUAE.

3) Bad RAM in your SX32.

4) Data was corrupted when being transferred to the CF card.

Eliminate all four and then report the bug to WHDload

Last edited by alexh; 06 March 2010 at 10:22.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:31   #6
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
I can think of four reasons

1) Old slave. Where did you get your Cabal WHDload? It says in the WHDload Cabal installer README you need v1.1 to work with WHDload 16.6 or later.

2) Corrupt disk used to create WHDload install.

Try making a new Cabal WHDload install using the SPS IPF disk image (Cabal (1989)(Ocean)[0638].zip) and the latest slave installer with WinUAE.

3) Bad RAM in your SX32.

4) Data was corrupted when being transferred to the CF card.

Eliminate all four and then report the bug to WHDload

1. I got my Cabal and other WHDload games from: http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/

2. I don't know if it's corrupt or not. I just downloaded all my WHDload games, and before starting up WinUAE, I enabled PC disks, and I just drag and dropped the unzipped (I unzipped all WHDload games with my PC) folder to my CF card from within WinUAE

3. I know the RAM is good with my SX32, as Castlevania works

4. I don't know how to judge if the transfer from PC to CF was bad
Old 06 March 2010, 10:36   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer View Post
1. I got my Cabal and other WHDload games from: http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/
If it works with the latest version of WHDload usr pkg in WinUAE then it must be v1.1

Quote:
2. I don't know if it's corrupt or not.
If it works in WinUAE with CD32 like settings then the disk used to create the WHDload installer was not corrupt.

Quote:
4. I don't know how to judge if the transfer from PC to CF was bad
Plug the CF card back into your PC and use it as the primary drive in WinUAE. If you get the same error when trying to play Cabal then this hints at data corruption during transfer being the cause. If it works it hints at a problem with your SX32.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:37   #8
RGB_Gamer

When using the CF card and launching a game in WinUAE, I never got errors. Only when I put it back in my SX32 did I get errors.
Old 06 March 2010, 10:55   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

With an emulated CPU of 68EC020?

It could be the MAX TRANSFER setting in your hard drive's partition information. This would possibly be ignored in WinUAE. You could use HDToolbox to examine it. It should be 0x1FE00 or 0xFE00 for the SX32's IDE
Old 06 March 2010, 10:56   #10
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
With an emulated CPU of 68EC020?

It could be the MAX TRANSFER setting in your hard drive's partition information. This would possibly be ignored in WinUAE. You could use HDToolbox to examine it. It should be 0x1FE00 or 0xFE00 for the SX32's IDE

For the emulated hardware and configuration, I chose CD32 in RAM, I chose 2mb for the main RAM, and 8mb fast RAM (just like my setup)
Old 06 March 2010, 11:09   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Check and possibly change your MaxTransfer settings using HDToolbox.

If they are set correctly then all I can think of is you have a hardware problem.
Old 06 March 2010, 11:16   #12
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Check and possibly change your MaxTransfer settings using HDToolbox.

If they are set correctly then all I can think of is you have a hardware problem.
How do I do that in HDToolbox. I loaded it up on my CD32/SX32 MKII but don't see a setting for MaxTransfer settings
Old 06 March 2010, 11:22   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Open HDToolbox and it should look something like this : (Exact settings will be different)

Select the drive from the list and click on "Partition Drive" button and the screen should look something like this (Although probably with just one partition covering the entire disk):

Click on the partition you are interested in and click "CHANGE" button and it will look something like this : (Again settings will look different for you, do not copy these settings they are just the first image in google images I came across)

Now you can see the MaxTransfer value for your partition. For IDE it should be 0x1FE00 or 0xFE00. I am not 100% sure you can change this setting without loosing all your data. Try it. Worse case you have to re-install the CF card.
Old 06 March 2010, 11:29   #14
RGB_Gamer

The max transfer on your GIF looks just like mine. Should i change my file file system which says Standard File System to Custom File System as shown in your GIF?
Old 06 March 2010, 11:32   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Try changing the MaxTransfer to 0x1FE00 or 0xFE00. Reboot. Confirm in HDToolbox that the changes have been permanently made and they try Cabal again. If it doesn't work try the other value. If it still doesn't work I am out of ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGB_Gamer
Should i change my file file system to Custom File System as shown in your GIF?
Did you not read what I put above?? NO!! This is not my GIF it is just the first HDToolbox picture I found from searching google images. God only knows what these strange settings are for!
Old 06 March 2010, 11:34   #16
RGB_Gamer

For all my partitions?
Old 06 March 2010, 11:47   #17
Retro1234
Phone Homer

What about simply trying some tooltypes? -If you try running these games from CD you can rule out CF problems.
Old 06 March 2010, 11:49   #18
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
What about simply trying some tooltypes? -If you try running these games from CD you can rule out CF problems.
I honestly don't know how to a WHDload games from CD (or how to properly burn them so they run from CD)
Old 06 March 2010, 11:50   #19
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Follow AlexH addive on MaxTransfer

I just ment copy them to a standard CD on PC it wont need to be bootable.
Old 06 March 2010, 12:12   #20
RGB_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Boo View Post
Follow AlexH addive on MaxTransfer

I just ment copy them to a standard CD on PC it wont need to be bootable.

MaxTransfer editing didn't seem to make a difference. I will burn some games to CD