English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 February 2010, 11:18   #1
Washac

Amiga to Flatscreen LCD TV

Hi All

Not been around for a few years, but I have recently started to blow the dust out of
and off of my Amiga's.

Now I have two Samsung widescreen TV's one is 32inch and the other is 20inch, seeing
as these have scart inputs I can use a Video > Scart with ther two phono connectors
for the sound. For these two TV's what do I need to get a decent picture and not
stretched.

The other screen I have is a Samsung Monitor non TV which has a DVI and HDMI in
only, is there anyway to connect my Amiga's to this at all, and if possible what would I
need.

Thanks....

Last edited by Washac; 07 February 2010 at 22:34.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:06   #2
thomas

Quote:
what I need to get a decent picture and not stretched.
This should be a setting in the TV's on-screen menu. Something like "keep aspect ratio".

Quote:
DVI and HDMI in only, is there anyway to connect my Amiga's to this at all
The Amiga outputs only analogue video signals while HDMI is digital. What you need for this is a digitizer which takes an analogue TV signal and outputs a digital one. These devices usually are very very expensive.

With DVI it depends on which kind of connector it is. If it is DVI-D (digital only), then the same as for HDMI applies. If it is DVI-A (analogue) or DVI-I (both), you could try a scandoubler or flickerfixer plus a VGA->DVI adapter.
Old 07 February 2010, 12:38   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
This should be a setting in the TV's on-screen menu. Something like "keep aspect ratio".
They keep chaning the terms, its so annoying.

You will find alot call it 4:3 or normal. To be honest, screen being stretched has never bothered me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Hi All

Not been around for a few years, but I have recently started to blow the dust out of
and off of my Amiga's.

Now I have two Samsung widescreen TV's one is 32inch and the other is 20inch, seeing
as these have scart inputs I can use a Video > Scart with ther two phono connectors
for the sound. For these two TV's what what I need to get a decent picture and not
stretched.

The other screen I have is a Samsung Monitor non TV which has a DVI and HDMI in
only, is there anyway to connect my Amiga's to this at all, and if possible what would I
need.

Thanks....
I have mine on a Samsung 32" using RGB to SCART. Picture is awesome and flicker free even in widescreen (well I think its awesome).
Old 07 February 2010, 12:39   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi,

Take a look at this thread for using your Amiga with VGA. You can do it with an external converter.

edit (actually this probably isn't going to be of much use to you with the inputs/outputs - I thought it had more)

Steve.
Old 07 February 2010, 13:05   #5
Washac

Hi All

That was quick, thanks everyone, going to take it down the RGB > SCART route seems the simplist to me.

I like the Amiga Kit site, I can see myself spending some money there
Old 07 February 2010, 23:17   #6
bebek

Hi,

I use RGB SCART to connect my A1200 to 52" Samsung FullHD, you do not need a scan-doubler and flicker-fixer - it is flicker free and super hires laced looks brilliant on it.
Old 08 February 2010, 19:52   #7
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Hi All

That was quick, thanks everyone, going to take it down the RGB > SCART route seems the simplist to me.
Also, a TV lacking analog inputs is unlikely to 'bother to display old consoles/computers' correctly or even display them at all.
Old 08 February 2010, 20:04   #8
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
To be honest, screen being stretched has never bothered me.
You like watching TV programs where all the people look fat and where there's no way of telling whether the football will go in the net or not, and where snooker balls are eggs, I can tell.

Pensioners do, too. They buy a brand new TV, all the people are stretched and you could easily adjust it in the menu, but they don't Or maybe they don't notice it (!) or maybe they don't mind it, like you.

Surely on LCD TVs you don't get horrendous scaling artifacts like on LCD monitors?? If you do, I can possibly see how stretched could be perceived as 'better', but it's still utterly useless.
Old 10 February 2010, 17:44   #9
orange

i am watching stretched because plasma tv can get image 'burnin'.
and it does look better fullscreen.

anyway, sooner or later, tv will go widescreen. some channels already did like bbc, espn..
Old 10 February 2010, 17:49   #10
seuden
uber cool demi god

New plasmas don't generally suffer from burnin any more, so I hear.
Old 10 February 2010, 21:27   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
You like watching TV programs where all the people look fat and where there's no way of telling whether the football will go in the net or not, and where snooker balls are eggs, I can tell.

Pensioners do, too. They buy a brand new TV, all the people are stretched and you could easily adjust it in the menu, but they don't Or maybe they don't notice it (!) or maybe they don't mind it, like you.

Surely on LCD TVs you don't get horrendous scaling artifacts like on LCD monitors?? If you do, I can possibly see how stretched could be perceived as 'better', but it's still utterly useless.
Complete rubbish, come round to my house and then tell me everything looks short and fat.

I used to hate it when people moaned about such silly things. Why buy a widescreen tv then.
Old 10 February 2010, 21:29   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
New plasmas don't generally suffer from burnin any more, so I hear.
Not true, it still happens. LCD's are worst for it though. I remember seeing an LCD, where it was left in 4:3 for 4 years and when you set it to 16:9 it had bands on picture where the black borders were.
Old 10 February 2010, 21:54   #13
Peter
Still an Amiga user

What screen mode settings do people use on their Amiga's for the best picture on an LCD/Plasma TV Set via Scart cable?
Old 10 February 2010, 22:26   #14
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
What screen mode settings do people use on their Amiga's for the best picture on an LCD/Plasma TV Set via Scart cable?
Well you will never get it perfect as the amiga wont display in the panels native resolution.
Old 10 February 2010, 23:17   #15
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
My Sony displays a pretty bad picture out of me miggy and NTSC screens partially go out of the display area. Tube TV's for the win!
Old 10 February 2010, 23:19   #16
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I have a Sony LCD and Pal output via Scart from my A600 is a bit patchy... going to experiment with a few other screen types... ntsc looks a bit better on mine.

I wont get perfection, I know :-(
Old 10 February 2010, 23:26   #17
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamiga2002 View Post
My Sony displays a pretty bad picture out of me miggy and NTSC screens partially go out of the display area. Tube TV's for the win!
Hi

Yup cant beat a big old CRT TV for your Amiga, might go looking for one, thing is how do
I smuggle it in past the wife
Old 10 February 2010, 23:35   #18
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I "smuggled" one in, but i had to put my dear Battlestation 2 arcade to storage. Compromises compromises...
Old 11 February 2010, 02:16   #19
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Wifes are all the same trough the world, the only thing that changes is the address.

Sigh............
Old 11 February 2010, 05:34   #20
Photon

My point is that if you're watching a brand new telly and some things can't be displayed at the correct ratio, you've bought a wide and crap display :P or something.