pmc
gone

Looking for a demo by an English group

Hello boys and girls

I'm looking for a demo I saw years and years ago. All I can remember is:

1. It's OCS/ECS

2. It's from the early 90's

3. It was by a bunch of English guys

4. I think it was the first set of effects or the first demo by the main coder who was new and said something like "I discovered I was particularly suited to coding" in one of the scrolltexts.

5. I think that the credits pages were DPainted pictures, one for the coder, one for the graphician etc. I think one of these credits pages had a DPainted picture of a house, maybe with an address of where to get in touch with them. Maybe the credits for the graphics artist had a DPainted picture of a paintbrush... not really too sure.

6. The only effects I can remember is a sinused copper bar and there were also some generated / colour cycled effects like the ones in the attached screenshot that are from a different demo.

This is really tenuous information so I'm not really expecting a result on this one but, with the all powerful dudes here at EAB, you never know. \o/

Last edited by pmc; 26 February 2010 at 12:23.
Old 31 December 2009, 19:31   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I would say Ego Trip by Cyrus

http://bitworld.bitfellas.org/demo.php?id=7674
Old 01 January 2010, 13:27   #3
pmc
gone

That's the one! Unbelievable!

Galahad you absolute legend!
Old 01 January 2010, 13:29   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Damn, saw this too late, Ego Trip would have been my guess too. I remember it mainly because the code was good but the demo was incredibly boring
Old 01 January 2010, 14:01   #5
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
I remember it mainly because the code was good but the demo was incredibly boring
LOL.

I have to say, having just watched it again after many, many years that I agree with you.

There's some nice stuff but it's a bit dull. I liked it when I was a kid mainly cos of one of those final scrolls that tells the story of how he learned to code.

That used to be my dream then too - to be a coder - but I was far too lame.

Anyway, if what he said was true and he basically learned to code going from no knowledge at all to making a trackloading demo with all those effects in one year then:
Old 01 January 2010, 14:03   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Yeah, incredibly boring demo.

TAS of Cyrus also wasn't quite the coder he made himself out to be. For a start all the moving 3D vector stuff i'm positive (and i'm going from memory here!) was all written in RSI Demo maker and he just imported the executables into his demo.
Old 01 January 2010, 14:16   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I do not think this is true (and judging the other parts of the demo I don't think he needed to do something lame like that anyway), there is a vector scroller etc and I can't remember that there was something like this in RSI Demomaker. Maybe he created the objects in the RSI Vector-Ed, but I really doubt he included Demomaker executables in the demo.
My guess is he just coded a vector routine (which isn't that hard to do anyway) and wanted to show it off a bit (which is why the demo is so boring). Might check the code later.
Old 01 January 2010, 14:17   #8
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
TAS of Cyrus also wasn't quite the coder he made himself out to be. For a start all the moving 3D vector stuff i'm positive (and i'm going from memory here!) was all written in RSI Demo maker and he just imported the executables into his demo.
Oh.

That's a downer and more than a bit lame too...

Oooops, missed Stinger's reply - I'll hold off judgement on the fella a bit longer!

Last edited by pmc; 01 January 2010 at 14:18. Reason: Replied late...
Old 01 January 2010, 14:17   #9
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Read my post ;D
Old 01 January 2010, 14:19   #10
pmc
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay
Read my post ;D
Just did mate - my post above now edited.
Old 01 January 2010, 14:26   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Checked the code, no signs of RSI Demomaker (as I guessed). The vector parts don't look like RSI Demomaker anyway.
Old 01 January 2010, 14:31   #12
pmc
gone

You can tell that in five minutes!

Still the man.
Old 01 January 2010, 15:39   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Checked the code, no signs of RSI Demomaker (as I guessed). The vector parts don't look like RSI Demomaker anyway.

Perhaps you'd like to check again?

I can clearly see the string "RED SECTOR DEMO MAKER V1.0" in the vector chopper part.

In later parts, he's edited out that string, but forgot one of them.

Seems my memory isn't so bad after all

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 01 January 2010 at 16:07.
Old 01 January 2010, 16:09   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Only checked the first parts because the demo is way too boring to watch. And these parts weren't made with RSI demomaker. The chopper, however, is very obvious (wasn't that object even on the Demomaker disk?) and indeed a demo maker part. Which is incredibly lame. Don't know why he did that when his normal vector routine seems to be good enough. Probably couldn't handle animated objects I guess. No matter what, this is lame. (And your memory is good ;D).
Old 01 January 2010, 16:23   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Only checked the first parts because the demo is way too boring to watch. And these parts weren't made with RSI demomaker. The chopper, however, is very obvious (wasn't that object even on the Demomaker disk?) and indeed a demo maker part. Which is incredibly lame. Don't know why he did that when his normal vector routine seems to be good enough. Probably couldn't handle animated objects I guess. No matter what, this is lame. (And your memory is good ;D).
I don't think he was ever the coder he claimed to be.

Cyrus was on the verge of dying after its most prominent members left.

Some bloke no-one has ever heard of that claims he's kinda just learnt to code quickly, churns out that demo.

Theres certain parts of the demo that are virtually the same if not extremely similar to effects/code i've seen in other peoples demos.

The big blue plasma is a bit too similar looking to NOMDADs on PP Hammer cracktro with some variances in the plasma direction.

There are several effects with lines of silver vector bitmap balls moving in sine waves, and i'd swear that same effect with the same balls is in a Classic or Quartex cracktro, even the pattern is the same.

The 1 pixel sine scroller would have been available from a SAE code disk.

I just never bought that this guy did all this demo, was able to pretty much cover all the effects of the day, trackloading, using extra memory, and I know that most people in the UK didn't believe it either.

The RSI demo maker parts (and there is quite a few of them!) only further make me suspicious of his 'amazing' story!

Oh, and left mouse button can be used to skip most of the parts in the demo as well.
Old 01 January 2010, 16:52   #16
pmc
gone

I'm quite glad it turns out he probably wasn't as gifted as he claimed.

Makes me feel better about taking *ages* to get anywhere with my coding.
Old 02 February 2010, 14:20   #17
deicidal
Registered Insane

If memory serves me right some of the code was very old and was by a guy called slam or Sepultura and I think i remember one of the ex Cyrus guys telling me the Vectors where by Azatoth
Old 02 February 2010, 15:04   #18
Frog

Personnaly i would have say Keftales Pouet Link
Old 02 February 2010, 16:37   #19
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quite possibly he borrowed that as well. I know the code borrowed from Slam was ancient and MFD/Sepultura ended sending the source into grapvine for them to have a look like as a sort of independant jury to see what they thought.