English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 15 June 2009, 19:09   #1
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Help Installing ClassicWB Using WinUAE

After a bit of a break I've found some time to get back to trying to get ClassicWB installed on my A1200 using WinUAE.

I've read the instructions on the ClassicWB page several times, but I'm still not doing something right or not understanding something. Before I was trying to transfer the ClassicWB files to my Amiga using a CF card, but I'm starting to think that may be the issue. Now I want to do it all within WinUAE and I need some help.

My A1200 is currently using a CF card as a HD. It has WB 3.1 installed on it and works just fine. I haven't tried it in awhile but I'm 99.99% sure that WinUAE is able to recognize it and boot from it just as if it was a real HD. So I can access it from my PC.

Now, I want to install Classic WB ADVSP on my 1200 (I have a Cobra 030 accelerator with 64MB of memory so I should be good). Can someone please lay out the steps I need to follow? I hate to sound like a n00b here, but I'm getting lost somehow trying to follow the instructions on the site.

Last edited by Tempest 2084; 15 June 2009 at 21:12.
Old 15 June 2009, 20:25   #2
Bloodwych

Well, assuming you've actually run the ClassicWB System.HDF in WinUAE first and gone through the activation process where it asks for your Workbench disks/adfs:

Sounds like all you have to do is directly copy the files over to your CF device.

Using WinUAE mount the ClassicWB HDF file as DH0:, your CF device as DH1, open up dopus and select all the files on DH0: and copy them over.

I've never used a CF device on an A1200 so I'm afriad I can't go through detailed steps in how to mount it in WinUAE, but it sounds like you know how to already.
Old 15 June 2009, 20:38   #3
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

That's all? Do I have to wipe out the WB 3.1 files first or will CWB just copy over the ones it needs to?
Old 15 June 2009, 20:43   #4
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

I have issues mounting both the HDF and my CF at the same time - In case this happens, I suggest making a vrtual hard disk from a folder in Windows and copying from the HDF to the folder drive - you can then dismount the HDF and mount your CF as normal, then copy all the files from the folder to your CF.

(Does anyone know why this happens? I have tried both A4000 and A1200 ROMs and all combinations of IDE, etc)
Old 15 June 2009, 20:44   #5
Bloodwych

Deleting them first would be best, but if not it would just copy over them.

How big is the CF partition?

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 June 2009 at 17:11.
Old 15 June 2009, 20:47   #6
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
I have issues mounting both the HDF and my CF at the same time - In case this happens, I suggest making a vrtual hard disk from a folder in Windows and copying from the HDF to the folder drive - you can then dismount the HDF and mount your CF as normal, then copy all the files from the folder to your CF.

(Does anyone know why this happens? I have tried both A4000 and A1200 ROMs and all combinations of IDE, etc)
Should be fine as long as it's done within WinUAE to preserve file names and attributes when working with the hard drive mounted windows folder.

I have no idea why it causes problems myself.
Old 15 June 2009, 21:14   #7
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
How big is the CF partition?
I have three IIRC and they're all under 2GB each. I want to say they're 0.5GB 1.5GB and 2GB, but I'd have to check.
Old 15 June 2009, 21:19   #8
Bloodwych

Ok, no probs. Just wanted to check you were under the dreaded 4GB barrier.
Old 16 June 2009, 00:47   #9
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Two things:

1. When I put the disk image for WB 3.1 (install disk) in the WinUAE DF0 drive when CWB asks to check, I keep getting a Not a DOS Disk in Device DF0 error. I've booted from the disk and it works just fine. What gives?

2. When I add my CF card as a HD (using the UAE HD Controller) it shows up and works but the device name is n/a instead of DH0 or DH1. Will this cause problems with the installation?

EDIT: Ok I got past the check using disk 2 instead of disk 1 (who knows why that worked?). It said it was installing CWB and then said to reboot. When I did it gave me a Guru error. It appears to have installed itself on the System.HDF file because when I removed that it just booted from my CF HD as normal. Do I go through this installation process or just copy the files over manually?

EDIT EDIT: ok I went into HDToolBox and changed the partition devices to DH0, DH1, and DH2 (they were SDH0, SDH1, SDH2). When I go to add a HD to WINUAE it still says n/a, but hopefully Workbench will see it as DH0 now.

Last edited by Tempest 2084; 16 June 2009 at 01:00.
Old 16 June 2009, 01:24   #10
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

You may run into the dreaded MaxTransfer problem with your CF card - if you get read / write errors then you will almost certainly need to adjust it in HDToolBox
Old 16 June 2009, 01:42   #11
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
You may run into the dreaded MaxTransfer problem with your CF card - if you get read / write errors then you will almost certainly need to adjust it in HDToolBox
I think the problem is that I'm trying to copy the files onto the HD when it's in use. It's trying to overwrite things and it can't because files are in use. I tried booting from the disk and copying the files over but it couldn't find the copy program.

I assume it's the SYSTEM folder from the CWB image that I need to copy over to my CF HD (DH0). But like I said, I can't because it's in use! If I actually did get it to copy over somehow, would that be all there is to it? Or is there more to the install? Also, how do I overwrite files! It won't copy the SYSTEM directory over because it already exists on my HD.

I think I need to make the system.zip and copy it over, but I don't know how to do that. I tried to get the CWB image to load so I can run that Dopus program and make the zip, but no luck with that, it just tires to install CWB and I get that GURU error (I've never actually got it up and running). Why the heck can't someone just post the system.zip file somewhere?

Last edited by Tempest 2084; 16 June 2009 at 01:48.
Old 16 June 2009, 01:57   #12
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Ok using some cunning and daring-do (the copy command from the shell worked) I was able to copy over the files from the SYSTEM directory from the CWB hardfile to DH0 on my CF card. The odd thing is that nothing has changed! When I boot from the CF card it looks just like regular old WB 3.1 except that the icon for DH0 (workbench) is just a little square now. What did I do wrong?

Hmm... it appears that I can't open any of the 'new' directories like Games and Demos. It just says 'Can't open drawer'. Something is amiss...
Old 16 June 2009, 02:12   #13
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Well I'm a little closer. I got CWB to install on the HDF in WinUAE so I can access CWB from the emulator now. Maybe I can make that system.zip thing now...
Old 16 June 2009, 02:22   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Now since ClassicWB runs fine in WinUAE: Start DirOpus (mouse right --> Run -> DOPUS) and copy all files from DH0: to your empty CF card. Then plug it in your Amiga, mission complete.
Old 16 June 2009, 02:43   #15
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

It's installing (I think). Stay tuned!
Old 16 June 2009, 03:38   #16
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Boo-ya! It worked! Four questions though:

1. Where is the disk click fixer I read about? That damn thing is STILL clicking!

2. Does ADAPCMCFL (the compact flash card reader) work with CWB?

3. How do I go about installing the WHDLoad and its gamepacks from KGWHD?

4. Why is the main window a smidgen too big? I have to scroll down a notch to see the bottom! Is there a way to fix this?
Old 16 June 2009, 03:44   #17
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Ok answered 2 for myself. Yes it does.
Old 16 June 2009, 04:11   #18
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Hmm... I found a directory on DH0 (workbench) called Games that seems to be the WHDLoad directory. Is there a way to move this to another partition? I have DH2 partitioned to 1.5GB for games, and DH0 is only .5 GB.

Also how do I install my key in this setup?
Old 16 June 2009, 11:55   #19
Bloodwych

You obviously did a long session working out the ClassicWB and I'm confused by some of your descriptions and answers. It really isn't that complicated, but I appreciate you're new to this. In short form, you run the System.HDF provided in WinUAE, go through the install procedure and end up with a complete ClassicWB hard drive image.

Then copy all the files to your CF from this image. Of course you can't boot from your existing Workbench CF install in WinUAE and then copy over files from System.HDF as they will be in use. Instead, you boot from the ClassicWB and copy them over to your CF using some of the methods mentioned above.

It looks like you've kind of got their in the end.

As to your questions - the drive clicking utility is installed by default, run with the line Anticlick in the User-Startup file. It works on my A1200 and can be enabled or disabled in the settings.

If it's not working I have no idea why??? Do you have an Escom Amiga? Perhaps its drive controller is not compatible? Someone else has mentioned this utility not working for them but it does work for others. Perhaps a certain drive make in Amiga's is not compatible. Try looking on Aminet for other solutions like noclick for example.

As for the games question - yes you can move games wherever you want although it requires some changes. You actually have your CF set up perfectly - a smaller boot partition and a larger games/demos one. ClassicWB supports this. Look on the main webapge:

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/tutorials.htm

I'm actually going to improve this drastically in the next release, with the user only having to edit one file instead of multiple entries.

Your WHDLoad keyfile goes in the S drawer if I'm not mistaken.

Your window is too big because it's set up as PAL by default with a touch of overscan for a reason I've forgotten, but it was to do with compatibility of a certain application. I'd imagine you have an NTSC Amiga? Or do you use a monitor? If so, change the screen resolution to either NTSC or whatever you prefer. You can also play with the Overscan options in Prefs to change screen sizes and get that perfect match. After that, alter the size of the main "Scalos" window, icon positions etc then "Snapshot" the whole screen from the popup menu option. The new settings will then be remembered.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 16 June 2009 at 17:08.
Old 16 June 2009, 15:48   #20
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Thanks for the answers, I'll give this a try tonight.

1. The disk clicker fixer might be working, I think it's a lot fainter now anyway (although that could be wishful thinking). I did have to replace the disk drive awhile back, maybe it's not an 100% compatible one?

2. Yep I found the screen and region settings in CWB and adjusted them for me (US NTSC). I'll have to play with the Scalos window size as I missed that setting.

3. I will try and move the WHDLoad information tonight. Is the version included the most recent one? If not, do I just run the WHDLoad install on the main partition (DH0)?

EDIT: I just watched the tutorial which really helped. Now I know that I have to scan for new games for them to show up. And now I can unzip things much faster using Dopus. Thanks!

Thanks for the help. CWB is amazing!

Last edited by Tempest 2084; 16 June 2009 at 16:15.