English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 31 October 2008, 07:31   #1
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Strange error

Recently I bought a PPC card again for my A1200. Wanted to install not only OS4, but OS3.x as well, but failed, although I tried many different ways.

1. Had an old archived PPCSys used way back in 1998-2000 when had the first PPC card. It doesn't work properly, crashes while boots up.

2. Tried AmigaSYS4, but also failed, if system starts, many commodities/apps freezes, no serious apps can be used.

3. Tried AmigaSYS3+ as well, same result. random crashes, guru meditation, etc.

When my third try failed I decided to dig into the whole thing more seriously, but have not so much time, so...

BTW, both AmigaSYS can boot only if I replace the Setpatch from it with the original from WB3.0.

System halts in different forms randomly, sometimes totally freezes. not just with the typical Suspend/Reboot requester.
Newer setpatch I can use only if the machine has boot without Startup Sequence. With the same the system only freezes normally. no Blizkick, OxyPatcher etc. before the Setpatch.

Any ideas?

thx,

Reynolds
Old 31 October 2008, 07:48   #2
thomas

Make sure you install the appropiate processor drivers. And use the latest version of SetPatch only.

If your PPC card has a 68060, you need to replace 68040.library by the dummy version which is only ~80 bytes and you need 68060.library which is ~100 KB. If your PPC card has a 68040, you need to replace 68040.library by the new version which is ~80 KB.

Get the system disk which contains the libs here: http://powerup.amigaworld.de/index.php?lang=en&page=13

To use the PPC you also have to install the PPC drivers. Do not use the ones on the system disk but rather install WarpUP and PPCLibEmu.

Also a flash ROM update is a good idea. Using new libs with an old ROM or vice versa might lead to crashes, too.