English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 August 2008, 22:10   #1
Kristian83

Question Configuring Joystick(s)

Hi
Can anyone help me with configuring my joysticks with WinUae?

Winuae 1.5.1
Wico Joystick x2 -

Adapter - USB - RS232 converter (DB9M)
http://www.amentio.no/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:519752 - Norwegian site(Couldn´t find another)

I have installed drivers and such for this. In Winuae Game & I/O ports
it looks like this:

Im guessing it is the "RAW mouse [1/2]" that is the joystick.

Anyway, I have not been able to get this working. I´ve tried every option on the last window, but there has to be something else.

Maybe I have the wrong adapter or wrong settings. Can you help me?

If there is any other pics of settings you need, let me know.

Old 22 August 2008, 22:18   #2
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that the problem is that Commodore joysticks aren't serial devices. If you want to connect a Commodore joystick to your PC's USB port you'll need something like a Stelladaptor (which unfortunately aren't currently available). You could get something like the Competition Pro USB although I personally think they're rubbish.
Old 22 August 2008, 23:05   #3
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Yeah, that won't work..

You could also buy a really cheap and lousy PC USB gamepad and modify it so that you can plug your joystick into it.
Old 22 August 2008, 23:17   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklinger View Post
You could get something like the Competition Pro USB although I personally think they're rubbish.
In my opinion that is one of the best joysticks ever made The PC USB version works fine (got two of them ) with WinUAE.
Old 22 August 2008, 23:56   #5
Kristian83

Thanks for anwsers! So I really cant use this controller with WinUae? I thought there always a way, but im not the expert

But Stelladaptor is the way? Is there another type related to this that might be availible?

You know, I got a nostalgic feeling for this controller The best ever made imho! Its robust, and never breaks. I would sure like to play my amiga games with this one again, without have to buy a new A500

Old 23 August 2008, 00:06   #6
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
In my opinion that is one of the best joysticks ever made
The old Competition Pro, maybe. The USB version is pants and I'll tell you why. The USB chip they used can only be polled every 50ms (or slower) which is twice as long as one frame and games typically read the joystick once per frame. See the problem?

Quote:
The PC USB version works fine (got two of them ) with WinUAE.
You don't notice a lag? I do and it drives me nuts.

Last edited by gklinger; 23 August 2008 at 18:57.
Old 23 August 2008, 02:54   #7
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
if you got 1 of those 15pin joy/midi connectors on back of your pc you should be able to get a cable/converter cheaply enough it just connects the right wires to the right pins no fancy electronics.

rule 1 when connecting joystick to pc make sure you can see it in the control panel
Old 23 August 2008, 07:39   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
You don't notice a lag? I do and it drives me nuts.
Hmm, either I notice none or I got so used to it that it doesn't bother me anymore I play nearly all games on WinUAE (for some I use a PS2 type controller) with it and like I said it works fine. I might consider buying a adaptor for my real Amiga joysticks, but since most of them are Competition Pros anyway I must check that lag thingy again. Thanks for the info gklinger. I will use the pad for certain games instead and see if I then notice a difference
Old 23 August 2008, 11:06   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Hmm, either I notice none or I got so used to it that it doesn't bother me anymore I play nearly all games on WinUAE (for some I use a PS2 type controller) with it and like I said it works fine.
There is indeed an annoying lag using the CP USB. I've read that this stick respones only 12,5 times per second. A value of 50-100 would be much better. Looks like they used the cheapest chip they've found.

@TCD

Have you tried to activate a smart bomb in Battle Squadron with the USB CP? Much easier with a real Amiga CP.
Old 23 August 2008, 11:17   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
There is indeed an annoying lag using the CP USB. I've read that this stick respones only 12,5 times per second. A value of 50-100 would be much better. Looks like they used the cheapest chip they've found.

@TCD

Have you tried to activate a smart bomb in Battle Squadron with the USB CP? Much easier with a real Amiga CP.
I'm starting to wonder why I haven't noticed it yet I just tried Wrath of the Demon for Bolch and indeed there is a lag. It's not that bad, but yep it's a bit annoying. I think I got a little fanboy fever here I really should consider buying me one of those adaptors to use a real CP with WinUAE
Old 23 August 2008, 19:02   #11
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder why I haven't noticed it yet I just tried Wrath of the Demon for Bolch and indeed there is a lag. It's not that bad, but yep it's a bit annoying.
I'm happy and I'm sad. I'm happy that you experienced it so you don't think I was making it up and I'm sad that I ruined your feelings about your Comp Pro USB.

The bad news is that once you notice it you will notice it more and more until you eventually put your Comp Pro USB on the shelf and never touch it again. If you play games with an emulator you can't beat a Stelladaptor with your favourite joystick (a Comp Pro in your case, a Wico bat in mine). I wish they would start selling those things again or that someone else would make their own variation.
Old 23 August 2008, 19:08   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I'm happy and I'm sad. I'm happy that you experienced it so you don't think I was making it up and I'm sad that I ruined your feelings about your Comp Pro USB.
Don't worry mate I have played with them for quite a long time now and like I said I notice it, but it's not that bad (yet ). I have a joypad which is rather nice, but it hasn't that oldschool 'clicky' feeling. However I hope I can find one of these adaptors within the next months and try a real Amiga CP with my PC (nice wordplay don't you think ). Thanks for the info, because that might increase my chances in the Super League here
Old 25 August 2008, 18:20   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
One point has not been mentioned yet:

the POWER!

Just like your fav web cam, the CP USB will also use up a few hundred mA's on your USB port!

At least I was victim of this when trying to use an USB trackball, an USB web cam AND this sort of joystick (borrowed for testing) at my ports!!
The camera did not function anymore, because this beast takes the greatest of the (poorly limited) power, and gave me a sort of "Out of resources" thing. Fantastic huh.
Old 12 September 2008, 20:28   #14
Kristian83

Ok, checked the stelladapter site, sent a mail. Got no answer.

Im still eager to get this joystick to work, so could I use this?:

http://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html

with a gameport to db9 male converter of some sort?

Old 12 September 2008, 20:58   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yep this seems to give you the old joystick/midi port that was on the back of pc`s. A item that i miss, so 1 day i will get 1 of those interfaces for myself, then I`ll be able to plug my old pc steering wheel back in, one day one day, wish wish wish, I want I want, oh RIBBITS
Old 12 September 2008, 21:56   #16
Kristian83

Thanks! I will try this then... Cant wait to get these wonderful sticks back in game

Old 12 September 2008, 22:10   #17
Kristian83

eehm, cant seem to find a db15 to db9 converter.... You know of any?

Old 12 September 2008, 22:22   #18
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian83 View Post
Ok, checked the stelladapter site, sent a mail. Got no answer.
Atariage seems to have shut down their store. I have no idea what's going on with that lot.

Quote:
Im still eager to get this joystick to work so could I use this?
Yes and no. That gives you a 'PC style' game port so you can plug in analog PC joysticks. The joysticks used on the Amiga are digital and the Stelladaptor allows you to use them on your PC. That device is not equivalent to the Stelladaptor and probably not what you're looking for. I sure hope you haven't ordered it yet or you're going to be be
Old 12 September 2008, 22:38   #19
Kristian83

Quote:
Yes and no. That gives you a 'PC style' game port so you can plug in analog PC joysticks. The joysticks used on the Amiga are digital and the Stelladaptor allows you to use them on your PC. That device is not equivalent to the Stelladaptor and probably not what you're looking for. I sure hope you haven't ordered it yet or you're going to be be
No, haven´t ordered anything yet... but still hoping there is a way to get this working

I think its a bit wierd that its not possible(in these days, with all the technology) to get something like this working. Im no expert on this, but...

There´s no other way than stelladaptor?

Old 12 September 2008, 23:28   #20
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian83 View Post
No, haven´t ordered anything yet... but still hoping there is a way to get this working
Oh, that's good. I really don't think that adaptor will meet your needs.

Quote:
There´s no other way than stelladaptor?
I didn't say that. The Stelladaptor is, or sadly was, a convenient (ready made), economical adaptor but there are other ways to use an Amiga joystick on a PC. You could use this kit to interface an Amiga joystick to a USB-equipped PC or if you've got a spare USB controller you could hack it into an adaptor. This diagram will help you do that: