English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 03 August 2008, 02:03   #1
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

ClassicWB ADV Dopus & AWeb errors

I'm not sure if I'm being dense or not but I have 2 confusing errors with my Classic WB ADVSP installation on a real 1200.
My hardware is a 1200 with Blizzard 1230 MklV with 64 Mb RAM and a 4Gb CF CArd as IDE Hard Drive.
I installed the ClassicWB to my CF card via WINUAE and everything works fine including the 2 programs I get errors with.
However once installed in my real miggy, Dopus and AWeb both refuse to start reporting a

'Program error #80000008'
'Wait for disc activity to stop'

I am left with only the options to suspend or reboot.
It is quite frustrating, especially as they both work absolutely fine when WINUAE is booted from the CF Card.
Do I have to alter the configuration of these 2 programs to get them to run properly on my hardware, and if so, how do I go about doing that?
Any help gratefully received.
Old 03 August 2008, 03:55   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@r0jaws

my friend have you tried either without the 030?

I am sure the is a specific 030 version of AWeb floating around, not sure about Dopus though...
Old 03 August 2008, 10:17   #3
Bloodwych

Other people haven't reported this issue with 030's and with not owning an accelerator myself I can't test. I'm also not familiar with using CF cards as hard drives.

Does the Blizzard require any software to be added to the Startup-Sequence?

Or any libs to be added/replaced?

You could try AmigaSYS if you can't get it to work:

http://amigasys.extra.hu/
Old 03 August 2008, 11:38   #4
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

I have tried removing the 030 to see if that made a difference and it didn't.

I suspect, but am not 100%, that it is the fact that I'm using a CF Card as HDD as that is the only other difference between my WINUAE setup and my real Hardware.

Maybe the CF Card or its adapter interacts slightly differently to a regular 2.5" HDD and that cause problems with these 2 pieces of software.
I'm not sure why that should be the case though, but I feel further investigation is warranted.

BW: the Blizzard 1230 Mk IV requires no extra software to run, its just a plug in and go apparently. It's worth a look to see if there has been any problems and maybe they do require a patch for this particular accelerator though, so I am going to chase that up too.

I will post back if I find out what was the matter.
Old 03 August 2008, 11:52   #5
Bloodwych

Other people have used CF cards in the past and I don't think they had this problem. Strange how it's only those two programs.

There are other things like max transfer that may make a difference, plus at 4GB you are right on the limit (perhaps just over?) of how large you can make partitions with Workbench 3.0/1. Are you using one large partition, or have you got a smaller boot partition?

Here are some useful threads:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=25274
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256
Old 03 August 2008, 12:07   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Drive size or maxtransfer could be the problem.

Does it work in WinUAE if you mount the CF as IDE0, not UAE "HD controller"?
(make sure you have correct A1200 ROM and Chipset extra in chipset panel set to "A1200")
Old 03 August 2008, 20:59   #7
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

OK, just in case anyone else comes up against this problem it has now been fixed.

Quite simply I opened up WINUAE, booted ClassicWB ADVSP and simply copied the AWeb & Dopus folders across to the 1200 via a pcmcia CF card.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys but I think that this problem was merely a couple of corrupted files, and the fact that someone else had the same problem is probably just coincidence.

If only I had bothered to do this in the first place, instead of getting sidetracked by non-existant hardware issues!

BTW Bloodwych, many thanks for the time and trouble you have gone to create these packs they have saved me an absolute age setting my system up just how I'd like it!
Old 03 August 2008, 21:05   #8
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
BTW Bloodwych, many thanks for the time and trouble you have gone to create these packs they have saved me an absolute age setting my system up just how I'd like it!
And so has WinUAE too by the sounds of it!

I'd still be a little cynical until you've had chance to use it for a while. It still could be a maxtransfer/drive size issue - I find it hard to believe both of you had exactly the same problems without a common underlining issue.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy your Amiga.