English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 July 2008, 18:26   #1
mpa9898

The art of amiga gaming - in game stills

Dear All,

I'm a new member here, it does my heart good to see so many devotees to the amiga still around.

I joined this board principally to ask you a question. Something that continues to strike me to this day is the odd qualitative effect created by the Amiga graphics. The simple pixilated low resolution images of these old games seem to evoke more in the way of, say, 'spookyness' or 'sureal colourfulness' than any flawless rendered image produced on today's machines, making the games all the more absorbing.

Now, this could simply be the reaction of a nostalgic amigan, however I'm of the opinion that the stills graphics of amiga games deserve artistic study; bringing me to my question....

I'd like to know from those better acquainted with amiga games which titles they feel showed the machine's graphical capabilities at its best, particularly those of pre-aga vintage. I'm most interested in full screen stills images, either within the game or accompanying loading sequences.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions and recollections,

Best Wishes,

Martin

Old 26 July 2008, 18:35   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi Martin,

welcome to the EAB!
When reading your question a quite cheesy, but IMHO technical impressive picture from Barbarian 2 by Psygnosis came to my mind :

There are many other great pictures in Amiga games. I will try to find some in OCS/ECS games

Edit : Another game with great GFX is Agony

Last edited by TCD; 26 July 2008 at 18:43.
Old 26 July 2008, 22:05   #3
Leffmann

Jim Sachs drew some very good looking graphics which had a subtle and realistic touch to it. His graphics can be seen in Defender of the Crown among other, and there is also a collection of some of his Amiga-drawn images here.

You should check out http://hol.abime.net/ for loads of Amiga game graphics. Games with graphics by Dan Malone, Martin Edmondson and Mark Coleman would be worth checking out for great looking stills.
Old 26 July 2008, 22:31   #4
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpa9898 View Post
The simple pixilated low resolution images of these old games seem to evoke more in the way of, say, 'spookyness' or 'sureal colourfulness' than any flawless rendered image produced on today's machines, making the games all the more absorbing.
That's well put and I agree. I'm not prepared to chalk it up to nostalgia because I'm every bit as nostalgic about the VIC-20 and 64 and yet I don't get that same feeling in my stomach when I see graphics on those computers. I can't really explain the feeling I get. The word giddy comes to mind. The oddest games will evoke this feeling and it isn't always to most graphically impressive games that do. For instance, I recently fired up a games called Giganoid for the first time in almost 20 years and the feeling was palpable. I almost giggled.

That sounds pathetic but it is the way I feel.

Quote:
I'd like to know from those better acquainted with amiga games which titles they feel showed the machine's graphical capabilities at its best, particularly those of pre-aga vintage.
How about the intro screen from The Pawn:

It's very effective at creating a mood when combined with the haunting intro music (there's an mp3 here if you want to hear it).

Another good example is the intro screen from Shadow of the Beast:

The music is equally haunting. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the mp3 handy but there is a video of the intro at YouTube (see [ Show youtube player ]).

I can think of lots of other examples but I think I should shut up and let others have a go.
Old 27 July 2008, 00:06   #5
Exl

Blood Money
In-game wasn't too bad either.

Old 27 July 2008, 00:21   #6
Paul_s

When I first saw Shadow of the Beast II death screen it blew me away