English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 March 2002, 01:51   #1
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

Chip tune via a midi device?

I was wondering if anyone has made a chip tune using a midi controler (like a "Phatboy") to change the effects in an amiga tracker...... is it possible?
Old 08 March 2002, 04:03   #2
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Well, there is a way to convert SID tunes to MIDI format, then convert that MIDI to XM... Is that what you are looking for?

The app (Shareware) to do SID to MIDI is called (amazingly enough) SID2MIDI. I believe it will only convert SID tunes up to one minute long unless you register; however, the utility is so old I'm not sure if the guy who wrote it has updated it or is even still alive. It is a pretty hard to find utility, and it only runs in DOS. I'll dump it to the Zone in case you want it.

http://www.maz-sound.com/ has utilities that will convert the MIDI tune to XM, and from there you can mod the track to perfection.

I also included the SID tune "Skate Rock" and the MIDI version of it for chuckles.

Otherwise, I'm not sure I know what you mean... A chip tune from a MIDI controller to change the effects in an Amiga tracker...?

///Correction. I will upload it after the server move (If indeed you want it) as the Zone is currently closed.
Old 08 March 2002, 06:57   #3
ethylene

Send a message via ICQ to ethylene Send a message via AIM to ethylene Send a message via MSN to ethylene Send a message via Yahoo to ethylene
Re: Chip tune via a midi device?

Quote:
Originally posted by thinlega
I was wondering if anyone has made a chip tune using a midi controler (like a "Phatboy") to change the effects in an amiga tracker...... is it possible?
Phatboy... realtime MIDI controller?

'effects in an amiga tracker'... filters, oscillators, etc?

If that's what you're asking, then I'm sure it can be and probably has been done. I used to use a MIDI keyboard to input events into a modtracker program on my A1000.

I'm not sure what a Phatboy is, but any MIDI device conforms to a set of standards, and if your modtracker supports a MIDI interface, then you can use MIDI events triggered at the MIDI device to record events, alter parameters, etc. in the modtracker. As far as the software will allow, of course. But it's all absolutely possible using standard MIDI protocol.
Old 08 March 2002, 23:17   #4
thinlega
.:Part-Time Winner:.

phatboy

Hummm..yeah I think it should be possible.........
(my sx32 mkii module is not working anymore so it will have to wait!)

A phatboy is"a MIDI Performance Controller - a box of rotary knobs that send out MIDI control messages in feel time." I am hoping to use it to make my amiga into a sort of midi chip module!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phatboypro.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1976  
Old 09 March 2002, 04:57   #5
Amiga1992

There is a problem... most of the Amiga trackers I know (perhaps most of them all), dont have MIDI capabilities, and those who do have it, are not flexible enough to go mad on a controller like yours.

for example.. MusicLine Editor... it's got shitloads of parameters, but none are tweakable in realtime, and the program has no MIDI support. Well, they are tweakable in realtime, but with thiose ugly commands from hell, and as I said, since it has no MIDI, no chance of going mad on the cutoff

I have not tried 303-tracker, perhaps that one is MIDI capable?