English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Looking for a game name ?

Old 06 March 2008, 00:41   #1
Dindel

I need help remembering a Pirate-like game

Hi, I was watching a film with pirate ships in it, when suddenly a memory flashed before my eyes. A game I used to play a lot when I was younger, back in the non-emu Amiga days, and yet I just can't remember the name of the game.

Things I Remember:
- I used to play it on the Amiga 500.
- The game was set in the Pirate Ship era, whenever that was. I believe that meant you used Gold Coins in the game, instead of cash, but I really can't remember.
- I don't really know the point of the game, it was too long ago, and I wasn't that good at it.
- I just remember roaming the countryside, going into towns, talking with people, getting money from somewhere, and eventually buying a ship.
- I remember that you could upgrade to bigger ships as you could afford them, and that you needed a crew to man your ship.
- You also had to make sure you had enough food to roam the countryside (map/world view) otherwise your men would leave you (or attack you... can't remember).
- There was a Map View, and a Town View... maybe there was also combat and other views, but I don't remember.
- On the Map View (some call it the World View or Map Screen), you were represented by an icon that moved around smoothly (NOT clicky movement like on a grid).
- The map was zoomed in, so you couldn't see the whole world/map at once, but you could see towns, cities, forests, ships, and even your enemies (I think), all represented by little icon like images.
- The playing world was an Island/Continent (a Fantasy map NOT Earth).
- The map itself didn't scroll as such, rather the screen would simply jump to the next section as you got to the edge of the screen. I believe the world map was broken up into four screens:
NW | NE
--------
SW | SE
or possibly six screens:
NW | N | NE
------------
SW | S | SE
Either way, "how" the map was broken up, had nothing to do with game-play, it was simply a part of the game-design.
- From memory, the game started you off on the world/map view, near the west coast, at the top left corner of the SW screen. From there you could roam the countryside or make your way to a town/city.
- You always had to make sure you had enough food for your men. I don't remember if they were your ship crew, your band, your soldiers, or just some volunteers, but if you didn't feed them, they'd leave. I don't think you yourself could die of a lack of food... I'm not sure.
- I think there were also some enemies roaming the countryside (with their own icon/images), or maybe they were just random events, like most adventure games have when you get randomly attacked while traveling through the wilderness/world view.
- You could move over a town or city to enter it.
- In the Town/City View, (my memory is very vague here) but I believe there was a choice of where you could visit, like the bar, the port, the bank, etc.
- Regarding graphics, either the whole town was rendered/drawn from one point of view, or each different place had a different view, like for example, if you visited the Port, there would be ships in the background, nice big sail ships from memory.
- Graphics quality, and style, was around that of "Loom" or "The Secret Of Monkey Island".

That's about all I remember, except that it wasn't one of the games I was good at, so I'd love to go back and have another crack at it, almost 20 years later.

If anyone has any idea which game I'm describing here, please let me know, especially if you have some screenshots to help jog my memory.

Much appreciated,
Dindel

Old 06 March 2008, 00:45   #2
DamienD
Banned

Hello Dindel,

Welcome to EAB

I moved your thread to the "Looking for a game name" section

Pirates! by any chance? If not then maybe Sinbad And The Throne Of The Falcon?
Old 06 March 2008, 00:46   #3
Graham Humphrey

Pirates maybe but that seems too obvious...

EDIT: Too slow.
Old 06 March 2008, 00:55   #4
Dindel

Thanks, I now see there's a "looking for a game name" section.

I've just looked up "Pirates" and yes, one of the screen shots looks familiar... but could it have been that obvious? I don't know... I'll have to check it out though, thanks.

Old 06 March 2008, 07:11   #5
adolescent