English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 November 2007, 04:34   #1
TreyRandom

Amiga 500 mouse problem

I found my old Amiga 500 in my brother's basement. Had everything I needed (including a 40MB SupraDrive) except a mouse or joystick, so I got a couple of Epyx 500XJs and a 1351 mouse from eBay.

After hooking up a 1351 to Joystick 1, the top border began flashing erratically, sorta like what would happen if you clicked the right mouse button repeatedly. Mouse cursor does not move.

After hooking up a joystick to Joystick 1, the mouse cursor is mostly unresponsive. It moves a tick to the right when pressing the joystick down, and a tick downward when pressing the joystick up. Joystick button works fine to select things as long as the cursor is over them.

The Amiga button+arrow keys work just fine.

Connecting either to Joystick 2 gives no response.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Old 27 November 2007, 04:55   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@TreyRandom

Hello there,

Welcome to the EAB, i am sure you will like it here, there is plenty of mischief to get up to.

now you have an interesting problem, I am unsure if XJS joystics are compatible with the Amiga, i believe they are an old sinclair vairent SJX i think they were called over here these are not compatible with an amiga... you would need a joystick that is compatible to an atari console or sega genesis pad would be advised...

i don't know anything about the 1351 mousey, would you have a picture ? if its a true serial mouse then its not going to work on the Amiga without serious modifications.

please post some pics.... i am an absolute sucker for hardware pron. also it would help diagnose if i am wrong or if others can help better...

insofar as mouse go, you would need an amiga compatible mouse OR a converter to allow it to use either PS2 mice OR Serial mice. both cost around the $50 mark, but i would seriously recommend the former! PS2 mice converter some times called a cocolino are indeed a life saver! and make games and workbench interaction an absolute joy!

there are some stores to look at

www.amigakit.com a highly recommended service!
www.vesalia.de not as fast on the postage but also a good service.

of course there is the dreaded fleabay, but you can find the odd gem, search for zip stick or amiga joystick joypad and obviously amiga mouse...

in a week or two the community should be launching Amibay, which will be a free classified advertising website for people to sell amiga and eventually other retro computer components.

you can check out the ground work here, www.amigabay.co.uk

hope you have some fun with your retro kit. kick back and enjoy the EAB it is indeed a home from home
Old 27 November 2007, 07:27   #3
Jope
-

The 1351 is not an Amiga mouse, it is for the C-64.

Nothing will break, but it won't work either. Look for identical looking mice that don't say 1351 on the bottom.
Old 27 November 2007, 13:28   #4
TreyRandom

Ah, gotcha. This mouse says 1351 on the bottom.

The Epyx 500XJ box states that it is compatible with:
Commodore 64/128 and VIC 20 (ah, those were the days!)
Amiga
Atari, including Atari ST
Atari 2600/7800
Sears Arcade Games

So... the joysticks should work. That's why I'm thinking there may be a problem with the port.

Will try to post some gear pr0n in the next couple of days.