English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 September 2007, 01:03   #1
NovaCoder

Help choosing a monitor / ff / sd combination

I've read all of this stuff, but I'm still confused

If you're running a standard 1200 and hook it up to an old school Multisync monitor (using an RGB to VGA adapter) like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=001

Could you play games and use WB in all modes? What kind of picture quality/flicker would you get? Would it be a full screen (edge-to-edge) display in all screen modes?

It sounds like you can install some (more modern) drivers to the Amiga that will increase the scan rate...is that correct? What about OS 3.5 & 3.9, do they contain more 'modern' display drivers?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of going for an LCD TV instead? If I did get an LCD TV what is the best way to connect it SCART or VGA?

Basically I'm after a fuss free solution with the best possible picture quality, I don't really want to be changing cables over just to switch between a game and productivity software.

And finally...is there any advantage to getting an NTSC Amiga over a PAL model, will this help with the scan rate issue or can all Amiga 1200's easily be changed between the two (physical vs software difference)?

Thanx

Last edited by NovaCoder; 26 September 2007 at 01:14.
Old 26 September 2007, 07:48   #2
OddbOd

This really belongs in a separate thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
If you're running a standard 1200 and hook it up to an old school Multisync monitor (using an RGB to VGA adapter) like this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=001

Could you play games and use WB in all modes? What kind of picture quality/flicker would you get? Would it be a full screen (edge-to-edge) display in all screen modes?
No, Good and Yes in that order, the problem is that monitors H-Sync range is 30-96kHz, all games and most Workbench modes run the display at 15kHz horizontal. A scan-doubler avoids the problem completely but they can be hard to find (you've come to right place if you need one though).
Quote:
It sounds like you can install some (more modern) drivers to the Amiga that will increase the scan rate...is that correct? What about OS 3.5 & 3.9, do they contain more 'modern' display drivers?
In the context of a stock A1200 there are no drivers in the Windows/Mac/Linux sense as the OS controls the video hardware directly. Screenmodes that will run work with a standard VGA monitor have been around for a long time, "modern display drivers" to most Amiga users would imply retargetable graphics systems like Picasso96 that allow Workbench and system compliant applications to be displayed through add-on video cards.
Quote:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of going for an LCD TV instead? If I did get an LCD TV what is the best way to connect it SCART or VGA?
The big advantage is that all screenmodes will work (practically speaking), the disadvantage is cost. Use whichever connection you can get to work as picture quality should be about the same, VGA may be easier to get working because some SCART inputs do not support RGB.
Quote:
Basically I'm after a fuss free solution with the best possible picture quality, I don't really want to be changing cables over just to switch between a game and productivity software.
Then an LCD monitor TV is probably the way to go.
Quote:
And finally...is there any advantage to getting an NTSC Amiga over a PAL model, will this help with the scan rate issue or can all Amiga 1200's easily be changed between the two (physical vs software difference)?
No advantage that I can think of, for all practical purposes they are identical.

Last edited by OddbOd; 26 September 2007 at 08:07. Reason: botched quotes
Old 26 September 2007, 10:38   #3
laser
Banned

for the best picture quality I recommend an aperture grille CRT monitor

connected it via scandoubler...but you must find one first....they are extinct
Old 26 September 2007, 16:25   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Cost wise you could go for an LCDTV.

All LCDTV's have scandoublers & flicker fixers built in. Most have RGB SCART inputs in the UK.

Get one with RGB SCART input and VGA input.

You _HAVE_ to use RGB SCART if you want to play games. Non of the ones I've tested support 15KHz via the VGA connector.

Consider getting one from the local supermarket / electronics shop rather than mail order, that way if you are not satisfied with the deinterlacing you can take it back and try a different model.
Old 27 September 2007, 02:29   #5
NovaCoder

Ok thanks for that info guys...looks like an LCD TV is the go.

If you can swap between NTSC/PAL so easily why do AmigaKit http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...05f333570f4795

offer a NTSC/PAL model?