English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 April 2006, 07:45   #1
kaptaintoenail

GVP-HD8 issues

Hi ya'll,

I've just resurected my A500 and GVP-HD8 from the shed and I'm gonna need some advice. A500 was having problems at the start getting stuck on the green color screen which as i've read means an error in chip ram. So i pulled out the 512k expansion card and that now gets me two the v2.0 rom boot screen.Tried a booting a few old games and apps and the machine seems to be runing fine.

I then setup the GVP and she get's stuck on a plan light grey screen. The unit powers up ok and the harddisk sounds fine producing all the old sounds it used to make. There's 4meg ram installed in the expasion slots at the front. I re-seated them all and the jumper setting look fine. I even took them out and tried to get it going that way but no luck.

Anyone got any suggestions? Do i need the 512k expansion card to use the GVP?
Old 15 April 2006, 08:04   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptaintoenail
Hi ya'll,

I then setup the GVP and she get's stuck on a plan light grey screen. The unit powers up ok and the harddisk sounds fine producing all the old sounds it used to make. There's 4meg ram installed in the expasion slots at the front. I re-seated them all and the jumper setting look fine. I even took them out and tried to get it going that way but no luck.

Anyone got any suggestions? Do i need the 512k expansion card to use the GVP?
The GVP, I assume is the same as the A530 (GVP 030, HDD, Ram), it makes absolutely no difference if trapdoor ram is installed or not.

Hmmmm, grey screen... Make sure the ROM (Kickstart) is seated properly.. i think.......
Old 15 April 2006, 08:51   #3
kaptaintoenail

Yeah, did that. The machine runs ok when GVP isn't connected. The other thing i should say is that when i had the new rom chip was installed the guy soldered a peice of wire from the first leg top left on the rom chip to the 10th leg down from the top on the right side. This wire has been broken off the right side so I'm just wondering why this mod was done because the machine runs ok with out it connected.

I havn't had a chance to resolder the wire yet to see what thats does.
Old 15 April 2006, 09:29   #4
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptaintoenail
Yeah, did that. The machine runs ok when GVP isn't connected. The other thing i should say is that when i had the new rom chip was installed the guy soldered a peice of wire from the first leg top left on the rom chip to the 10th leg down from the top on the right side. This wire has been broken off the right side so I'm just wondering why this mod was done because the machine runs ok with out it connected.

I havn't had a chance to resolder the wire yet to see what thats does.
If you are talking about ROM in the A500, and the A500 works fine without it connected, then the fault lies with the GVP unit. I have an A530, similar board, but with 030, but have never experienced a problem.

From memory, the wire that you speak of on the ROM, is needed for certain A500 revisions, My A500/6A (Rock Lobster) did not need this, so I removed it from the KS2.04, I have no idea what it accomplished.