English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 05 April 2006, 17:40   #1
MethodGit

Locomotion (Kingsoft) - Official English version????

Was there ever an official translation made for release?

The Amiga Power demo is in English so there's a possibility that there could've been one made. The Commodore Format demo of the C64 version is also in English.

There's the Quartex crack but that was an "unofficial" translation adapted from the German version. The HOL entry doesn't have much info on the game, so it's not easy to know whether it was one of those "Game Unreleased in UK" episodes. Anyone know of a story behind this title?
Old 05 April 2006, 22:55   #2
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

I remember that Amiga Power demo and played it for hours!!! Simple game yet addictive...

I have the Crystal crack version on which after bootup says "English version" on screen.... Wether this is yet another unofficial translation I have no idea but it is available from the link below.

http://www.goodolddays.net/0_0_0_0_0...3_show_1__0_0/

it gives a review/screenshots and all that jazz but I'm guessing you probably already done that as I'm still relatively new to the Emulation scene and of course this excellent site!!
Old 24 March 2007, 18:36   #3
MethodGit

Might as well bump this to say thanks to quahappy for that link, but alas it's just the same group-translated hack that I mentioned before.

Thanks to AMR though, I discovered that it was Stuart Campbell who reviewed the game in AP19, so I asked him if he knew anything about the English version of the game, whether it ever came out in the end etc. Here's what he had to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Campbell
No idea, sorry. At AP we covered quite a lot of European-developed Amiga games (the equivalent of today's Japanese imports), but as you could possibly gather from the somewhat confused accreditation they got, the finer details of who actually licenced/published/distributed them was far beyond our control/knowledge/interest. We always had the next issue to do, and as far as we were concerned we'd done our bit by reviewing them. In a better world we might have chased things up more diligently to ensure people could actually buy them, but there you go.

I only have a translated version myself (credited to "Hawkeye"), but why worry? The alphabet is the same in every language, after all. I might well have the original floppy disk in the cellar, though.
Perhaps this game should get a kind of AGTW-style treatment in the future if we really are unsure about its status in the English-speaking world!