English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 October 2001, 06:10   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

(ot) Shooter Maker 95

It's a little off-topic, but it has something to do with gaming, If the mods think it better to be at the Off-Topic forum, just move the thread.

In 95, Ascii (The creators of RPG Maker, Fighter Maker, the MSX computer and that great game Retroman have been playing lately, The Castle) published a little gem util called "Shooter Maker", that, as you can guess, can be used to make shooters games (or shmups, as we like to call them)

Problem is that it was only officially released in Japan, and only in Japanese..

I've found a version of it, but I just can't read anything in that version, and using it is impossible...

Do u guys have any info/sites/tips/tutorial , anything that is Shooter Maker related?

I know that a guy is translating it to Spanish, and I found a few sites about it, but they all gave me a 404 error... and by the descriptions I readed in some sites, maybe an english version already exists...

Any help is much appreciated
Old 28 October 2001, 16:11   #2
RetroMan

Here´s at least a *partitial* translated version, only the .exe, so you need the full jap. version first, but I guess you have that allready

Edit : whoooops :hooooo forgotten the link :laugh

http://www.punisher2099.50megs.com/Files/STKool.zip

there ya go
Old 30 October 2001, 07:59   #3
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Thx Retroman, it's already something, I am downloading it right now...

It's a shame most people don't care about shmups , Fighter Maker and both RPG Maker 95 & 2K were translated (And you can easily find info for them), but no one cares about Shooter Maker
Old 30 October 2001, 09:54   #4
RetroMan

Just tell me if it works and how good that shooter maker is please ... maybe you can post the fixed version in THE ZONE ??
Old 31 October 2001, 03:42   #5
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well, like you said, the translation is really incomplete. At least with it, I can see how powerfull it is, and I have to tell yah, it's really VERY powerfull

From what I got so far, you can make stages that scroll to whatever direction you may like (thus, you can make horizontal ala R-Type, vertical ala Swiv or even Diagonal ala Zaxxon), and I also think you can change the direction of the scroll in the middle of a stage (Not sure yet). I believe you can also make a game ala Alien Breed, but I am not sure about that too.
You can have 4 different layers of backgrounds in each stage, each one independent to each other (I.E., it can scroll to any direction or speed).
You can have 8 different ships for your game, with different power-ups for each one. I still don't know how the power-ups work, but there's an image that looks like the Nemesis power-up bar, so at least this mode should be supported.
You can make an opening sequence for your game (Have you ever seen the Aleste 2 opening sequence? You can do something like that, put a bitmap on screen, show some text, then change the bitmap, and so no), and also add cut-scenes between the stages (Done in the same way as the opening sequence), and also, of course, ending.
You can also make a "Continue yes/no?" screen.
In the music department, you can use only .MIDs and .WAVs.

I haven't seen an option for 2 players game yet (That would be fantastic).
I still couldn't make my ship shoot (Yeah, stupid )
I also couldn't add any enemies yet...

The biggest problem so far, is that the program has 255 different events that can be added in the stages (Stuff like change the BGM or setup a change of scrolling speed), and this whole part isn't translated yet, so figuring out what each event does, and how it works, will take a LONG time

I don't know if the version I have will be too big for the zone. If it's small enough, I'll post it there..

Edit: It's in the zone, I removed the .WAV files for size sake. Maybe you'll need to create .wav folder inside the ShooterMaker folder to make it work...

Last edited by Shatterhand; 31 October 2001 at 04:10.
Old 31 October 2001, 05:13   #6
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Happy I FOUND IT! I FOUND IT!

Geez, I am so excited!

It looks like I've found a fully translated version of Shooter Maker, I am downloading it right now.. it's here:

http://stifu.free.fr/Download/Sm95/shooter.zip

I will test it later, and as soon as I get more info about it, I'll post it here...

I am SURE that more people here other than me and Retroman will love it to see fully translated.....

----

Edited by Amigaboy: All I did was fix up the link so you can click on it and it will download (Before I had to copy and paste the URL)

Last edited by Amigaboy; 31 October 2001 at 05:21.
Old 31 October 2001, 07:48   #7
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Heh, it's the first time in my whole EAB life that a post of mine is edited by a mod thx Amigaboy

Anyway, I just couldn't wait 'til tomorrow, I just installed the english version now and take a quick look...

It indeed is ALL in english! And I was reading a forum , it looks like the guy who translated is just 13 years old!
It doesn't have a help file (Like the other MAKERS programs), but it has a readme file that I didn't read yet.
It contains all the GFX,MIDIs and WAVS from the japanese version too (i.e. not many)
There are a few glitches in the GUI (like some words being cut in the end, or the resolutions not showing properly), but not too much annoying
And it seems like I was wrong about parallax... it seems like you can have SIXTEEN layers of parallax, but I still have to take a deeper look..
Old 31 October 2001, 07:50   #8
Amigaboy

Is there any sample projects for it?
I had a quick look and I couldn't find any in the directory. If I don't have samples, I have no idea what it's capable of, so I don't do anything with it

Old 31 October 2001, 08:52   #9
RetroMan

Hey that´s really good news @Shatterhand .... I´m downloading it right now .... let´s see how good it is
Old 31 October 2001, 17:17   #10
Amiga1992

Well, the version I dloaded eons ago had two game samples, a vertical one and a horizontal one. really powerful thing, this program.
Old 02 November 2001, 04:15   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

WTF Akira? Do u still have those samples? I've been hanging around a RPG Maker board, and they have a Shooter Maker section too, and everyone is asking for sample games....
Most people are having trouble using it (Me too).. It seems like the translation isn't 100% accurate..that's what I posted today in that board:

"I've been able to make the main player, change its speed (not in game), make it shoot the primary or seconday weapon and the bombs(For now, they are all the same in my "test game" ), I also can choose between make the scroll forced (like in R-Type, Axelay or Sonic Wings), only scroll with the player movement (This will be great to do games like Alien Syndrome, Alien Breed or The Chaos Engine), both things (So if you have a vertical shmup, you can make it scroll when you move left or right to show more of the screen, but I can't make it work properly yet, as it's scrolling in all directions, when I only want 2 directions), or no scroll at all (You can make Space Invaders clones like that, or even a Smash T.V. clone)
I've also been able to make destructible background, and crashable background (i.e. you die if you touch it).

It looks like this translated version isn't 100% translated and accurate, as the events manager doesn't show the name of all events (Most of them are all called "event", when I believe they should be called "enemy1" or 'teletransport") , the Event Movements aren't translated (only 3 or 4 functions are translated), and when you double click an event in the events field, most texts are marked only with "????" . Apart from those gripes, the translation is great (Congratulations again to the translation team), and I don't know if the translation team is able to correct those bugs or not, so while they don't do it, we should try and discover how those things work.

So far, I've found the following events use:

23 : Event - It changes the speed (and maybe the direction) of the scrolling

24 : Event - Teletransport

32 : Event - It changes any variable of the game (You can either add 1 to the variable or set a number between 0 and 255)

160 - 178 Events - Those are certainly something special

128-159 Events - Possible the Enemies Events. So far those are the only ones I've been able to put in the events field and make shoot (even although I still can't make the shots move), and I tested event 151, it's possible to make it shoot and kill the player with its shot. (If that's really true, it gives us only 31 different enemies per game, a low number IMO...)

That's as far as I got so far, but I'll keeping messing with the program to find more things, and as soon as I discover more, I'll post here.

Like I said before, it's important to all of us share our knowledge so we can make the SM community grow "

Problem is that the Shooter Maker board there is VERY small, just a few peoples post there..

here's the board, if anyone is interested

http://pub75.ezboard.com/btherm2kworld
Old 02 November 2001, 05:54   #12
Amiga1992

The link you sent me EONS ago which had a SM95 download, had sample games! I do not remember if they were opensource but I do remember clearly teh horizontal one (with a witch, like a cotton ripoff).

Will take a lookie
Old 02 November 2001, 06:14   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

wtf ? I still have that version, and there's no sample game on that thing! Yeah, it has the gfx for the witch and stuff (even this english one has too), but no game...

or maybe I was blind and didn't see that thing?

I'll take a look now too..

Edit: I've just checked, there's NO game on that thing, so I thought about 3 options

1: The games were in a separate download so I din't get
2: I deleted them and didn't even notice
3: You were dreaming when you saw those games

Old 02 November 2001, 17:20   #14
Amiga1992

an, I played around with the frigging wotch. Look around, there is an EXE for such a thing.

I was not taking any pills
Old 02 November 2001, 22:38   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

My japanese version of SM has only 3 EXEs

STKool - The main editor
Mkgame.exe - Makes an installer to the game
Stkrun - Does nothing, I think its called by the editor to test the game "on the fly"
Old 06 November 2001, 05:47   #16
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I found a place with 2 sample games, I am downloading them right now

that's the URL

http://cloud.prohosting.com/~staromen/SMaker95/

Akira, I think the game you played may be this "Angel Crisis"
Old 11 August 2006, 19:28   #17
kayl

Smile Shooter Maker 95

Hello,
I am searching for Shooter Maker 95 original Japanese version and any documentation available (whatever the language)
Thank you