English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 September 2005, 15:32   #1
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

Some Questions Amiga 1200T! (CDRom, HD n stuff)

In my Amiga 1200T , the IDE cables to the HD and CDROm is connected as slave, but they are master ofcourse.. should i change? it was connected this way when i brought it... or should amiga HD , cdrom always connect as SLAVE on the cable?
one more question.. i have a cdburner thats left over from my pezse, can i just change the 4x cdrom that is in my a1200t today? or do i have to have specifik amiga cdrom?

//Anders sweden..

sorry for very bad English ;-)
Old 21 September 2005, 16:43   #2
lopos2000
Zone Friend

The HD should be set to 'Master' and the CD-Drive should be set to 'Slave' if they are on the same IDE cable (channel). Yes, you can exchange your CD-Rom with a CD writer. You jsut need the right software to burn CD's.
Old 21 September 2005, 17:09   #3
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

they are on seperat IDE channels
better change then... anyways they work on slave both.. :-)

I better change to a cdwriter then
or a DVDROM slotin.. pioneer! have them booth.. ;-)
Old 21 September 2005, 18:25   #4
lopos2000
Zone Friend

If they are both on their own channel, both should be set to 'Master'.
Old 21 September 2005, 19:31   #5
thomas

Quote:
the IDE cables to the HD and CDROm is connected as slave
Do you mean the drives are connected to the middle of the cable rather than at the end ? This does not matter. It's a stupid IDE bus, drives are identified by the master/slave jumpers on the drive themselves, not by the position on the cable. The position does only matter on high-speed UDMA cables with cable-select enabled. This does not work on the Amiga anyway.

Regarding the CD-Writer, you don't need any additional software if you only want to use it as a CD-ROM drive. The already installed drivers should recognise the drive at once if it is connected to the same position and with the same jumper settings as the old drive. To write CDs you need a burning software as Lopos said. The most popular softwares are MakeCD and BurnIT.
Old 21 September 2005, 20:04   #6
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
Do you mean the drives are connected to the middle of the cable rather than at the end ? This does not matter. It's a stupid IDE bus, drives are identified by the master/slave jumpers on the drive themselves, not by the position on the cable. The position does only matter on high-speed UDMA cables with cable-select enabled. This does not work on the Amiga anyway.

Regarding the CD-Writer, you don't need any additional software if you only want to use it as a CD-ROM drive. The already installed drivers should recognise the drive at once if it is connected to the same position and with the same jumper settings as the old drive. To write CDs you need a burning software as Lopos said. The most popular softwares are MakeCD and BurnIT.

if i use a dvd-rom then, do the amiga os3.9 recognise it as a dvd-rom?
Old 21 September 2005, 21:32   #7
thomas

It is recognised as a CD-ROM with 4GB CDs :-)

Without joke, you can read CDs and DVDs with ISO9660 and Joliet file systems. You can not read DVDs with UDF file system. However, most DVDs have both ISO and UDF, so it should be no problem.

You cannot play DVD movies, though. The Amiga is just not powerfull enough. And there is no software to play encrypted or otherwise protected DVDs.